Windows 10: Update Macrium Reflect Boot Menu Option?

Discus and support Update Macrium Reflect Boot Menu Option? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; About a year ago, I added a Macrium Reflect boot menu option but have never needed to use it. There have been several Reflect updates since then. Do I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Steve C, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Steve C Win User

Update Macrium Reflect Boot Menu Option?

About a year ago, I added a Macrium Reflect boot menu option but have never needed to use it. There have been several Reflect updates since then. Do I need to do anything to update this boot menu option? Also, how do you remove the boot menu option?

:)

Steve C, Sep 17, 2016

2. Windows 10 creator update not working

Hi Greg! Glad to see someone here recommending Macrium Reflect. Here's a fairly new feature that has been added toMacrium. I love this feature. I don't have to find my Macrium rescue CD! Let me know what you think friend!

Adding a boot menu option for system Image recovery - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

PS I love my Macrium Reflect! I've been a Macrium user for several years!

Gary!

garybear89, Sep 17, 2016
  3. SICK WINDOWS 10 PC Help me with it & now its replacement?

I guess I should have searched on how to remove the Macrium boot menu item that I'd added. I found it easily at

http://forum.macrium.com/Topic29.aspx

It says "In any case, to remove that boot menu option, run Reflect in your normal Windows environment and select
    Other Tasks -> Add Recovery Boot Menu Option ... from the Macrium Reflect's top menu bar. From the pop-up dialog box, select "No Menu" which I see as the top thing in that 2nd image that I showed you in my last Reply.

Jeff A. Davis, Sep 17, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

You should always create a new rescue media when you have updated Macrium. In doing so also the WinPE files for Macrium Rescue will be updated (files in %programdata%\Macrium folder). In this case the boot menu entry does not need to be edited when Macrium is updated.

The easiest way to remove all entries, including Macrium, from boot menu is to boot the PC to Macrium Recovery Console and select Fix Windows boot problems:

Update Macrium Reflect Boot Menu Option? [​IMG]

Accept all prompts:

Boot menu is gone and PC boots now directly to Windows.

You can manually edit the boot menu in an Elevated Command Prompt with command bcdedit. Here some commands to modify boot menu:
    • bcdedit
      • list all boot entries
    • bcdedit /delete {Boot Entry Identifier}
      • Removes the selected entry from Boot Menu
    • bcdedit /set {Boot Entry Identifier} description "Any Name"
      • Sets the name of selected entry in Boot Menu to your chosen one, instead of for instance having two entries named Windows 10, you can name them as Windows 10 Pro on HDD and Windows 10 Home on VHD
      • New name (description) needs to be in quotes if it contains spaces
    • bcdedit /default {Boot Entry Identifier}
      • Sets the selected entry as default OS which will be automatically started when countdown reaches 0

An example. Here I wanted to change the name of the Macrium Reflect System Recovery entry in my boot menu to simple and short Macrium (highlighted blue). For that I need to use it's identifier (highlighted yellow):

Checking with plain bcdedit command I can see the name (description) has been changed:

Notice that the identifier is a 128 bit (32 hexa digits) GUID, with two exceptions: the current OS, the one you are using at the moment is always identified as {current}, and the OS set to be default is identified as {default}. If {current} is also {default}, then all other entries except {current} have the 32 digit GUID.

See these tutorials on our sister site Seven Forums for more bcdedit info:

5. Steve C Win User
    Does the "Fix Windows boot problems" option clean up the various hidden recovery partitions left over by Windows upgrades by any chance?

I noted the updated files are in C:\ProgramData\Macrium\Reflect - you can peruse these log files to see what has been copied. The recovery files are copied from c:\boot\macrium\WA10KFiles\media to your selected recovery drive and you can look at the dates in that directory to see what has changed.

Steve C, Sep 17, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    No. That option only clears the boot records and files. It does in no way change / add / remove any partitions, system or normal ones.

7. cereberus Win User
    1) no you do not need to update it.

2) to remove it, simply run Macrium, select "Other Tasks", click "add recovery boot menu option", and select "no menu".

cereberus, Sep 17, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

I forgot that *Smile

9. Steve C Win User
    I noticed in c:\boot\macrium I had 2 folders - WA10KFiles (Windows PE 10.0) and WA5KFiles (Windows PE 5.0). I updated my recovery drive from the latest Macrium version and deleted that WA5KFiles folder which relates to the Windows 5.0 rescue media which I thought I no longer needed. The USB recovery drive booted fine but I got an error trying to boot to Macrium recovery from the boot menu. I then restored the WA5KFiles folder and all was fine. Clearly, rebuilding the USB recovery drive did not assign the correct boot recovery environment in my case since my PC was still using the old Windows 5.0 recovery environment (since my PC was recently upgraded from Windows 8.1).

I then tried the fix from cereberus in post 5 to select "Other Tasks", click "add recovery boot menu option", and select "no menu". I confirm that removed the Macrium boot menu. I deleted those folders WA10KFiles and WA5KFiles again then rebuilt the recovery USB drive. That procedure reinstalled the WA10KFiles folder. I then reinstated the Macrium boot menu option (this time only the WA10KFiles folder is present), rebooted and selected the Macrium recovery option. This time it worked proving the boot menu is now using the Windows PE 10 recovery environment.

If you have upgraded from Windows 8.1 you may need to reset your Macrium boot menu option as noted above to ensure you are using the latest recovery environment for Windows 10.

Steve C, Sep 18, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    That is the problem with being a "Marvin" with the brain the size of a planet (only kidding of course) *chuckle.

cereberus, Sep 18, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - good tip.

Actually the old 8.1 menu should work still but there is more flexibility with 10 version.

I love way software is sometime counter-intuitive i.e. you have to select to add a menu to remove it.

Similar happens in Windows if you do not want to enter a password from wake up. You always have to click the sign-in option even if using a local account without a password, and cannot change setting to not require the login screen as the option is hidden. You have to add a password to see the option that allows you to not need a password - how logical is that!!

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Update Macrium Reflect Boot Menu Option? - Similar Threads - Update Macrium Reflect

2. Boot Media for Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot Media for Macrium Reflect: Do I need to make a new cd of the Boot Media for Macrium Reflect every time Macrium Reflect does an update? Thanks for any help. 155006
  3. Macrium Reflect and 1803 update...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Macrium Reflect and 1803 update...: On my system, the Reflect's "Recovery Boot Menu Option" is enabled, via "Windows PE 10.0 menu (64 Bit). Doing so allows to boot directly from the system drive to Reflect recovery environment, instead of booting from a USB based recovery environment. Basically, it's a...
  4. New Macrium Reflect Updates

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    New Macrium Reflect Updates: [img] Tip If you guys have any issues with Macrium products, take a look at this: Welcome to TF Saturday Live - The Macrium Special Solved - Windows 10 Forums Macrium founder and CEO Nick Sills will join us to talk about Macrium Reflect and answer your questions in Q&A...
  5. New Macrium Reflect Update

New Macrium Reflect Update: New Macrium Reflect Update ready to be downloaded and updated Version 6.1 Build 1225 46206
  6. Macrium Reflect boot menu option

Macrium Reflect boot menu option: Hi, recently started using Reflect, moving away from TrueImage. I'm pretty happy with it so far, except for the outlandish price (yea, I know, free version fine for most but I like to password protect my images). I notice there's an option to put the recovery on the boot...
  7. Macrium Reflect

Macrium Reflect: Where are instructions for Macrium Reflect ? Don Cole 101495
  8. Macrium Reflect update

Macrium Reflect update: Hello, While making a weekly backup (differential or full) with Macrium version 6, I was notifyedthere is an update for this version, downloaded and installed the update.Then opened the product's site and saw there is a new version - 7, on one page it says free editionhere...
  9. Macrium Reflect...

Macrium Reflect...: Hi all, Having just upgraded to the latest Window 10 CU I am now looking for so good back up software... For a number of years I have been using Memeo instant back up, and the version I have now it old so an update is required even though it still does it's job........
  10. Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: I installed Macrium Reflect so that I could create rescue media and disk images. My computer will not boot from the rescue media that I created. The creation seemed to go fine, all the appropriate files seem to be there. The rescue USB shows up in my bios boot list third...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove macrium reflect boot option

2. remove macrium reflect boot entry