Windows 10: Update nightmare - reset Apps, lost Data after automatic update

Discus and support Update nightmare - reset Apps, lost Data after automatic update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, on a no-problem notebook of a Relative, win ran an update last night at 4 and came up with this: Most App-Links are gone, Apps still there. But... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Tilly, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Tilly Win User

Update nightmare - reset Apps, lost Data after automatic update

Hi,
    on a no-problem notebook of a Relative, win ran an update last night at 4 and came up with this:
    Most App-Links are gone, Apps still there.
    But Firefox, Outlook and others seem completely reset as if freshly installed, no accounts set f.e.
    Win demands hardware driver installation for Wifi.
    And a bunch of personal files on the Desktop are gone.

Please point me to the right direction before i start to act there.
    thx

:)

Tilly, Dec 10, 2015

2. help meeeeeeeeeeeee

....but back up any data and apps as these will be lost with resets and firmmware update.

RichH_9000, Dec 10, 2015
  3. Co S Win User
    "Hard Reset" App

Can Microsoft please consider developing a "Hard Reset" app?

Too often a hard reset seems to be the only solution to fix problems with software updates etc.

Executing that proces and then restoring lost settings etc. takes a couple of hours and data like conversations are just lost.

However a more frequent hard reset would -for me- be acceptable if Microsoft developed a "Hard Reset" app that would:

1) save the user's configuration and all data and settings that are now lost, to the phone's SD card (if available and having sufficient free storage space) or via USB to any PC and

2) after the hard reset and subsequent actions (like installing failed updates) would retrieve and restore the phone's original configuration and all data and settings to the status preceeding the hard reset.

Thank you.

4. philc43 Win User

Same thing happened to one of my relatives yesterday! I suggested we did a restart before we tried anything else and on restarting the apps all reappeared and her desktop came back as she remembered it.

This might be the first thing to try and it might sort itself out.

philc43, Dec 10, 2015
Thema:

1. Update nightmare - reset Apps, lost Data after automatic update - Similar Threads - Update nightmare reset

2. Data Lost After Windows Updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Data Lost After Windows Updates: After an update, it seems that some of my information is lost. I have lost all my pictures, apps, security app, etc. Why does this keep happening and what can I do to prevent it in the future? [Original Title: windows updates]...
  3. Updates and lost data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates and lost data: Each month Microsoft does an update on my computer and each month all my data is lost. Why does this keep happening and how can I stop this happening each month? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-and-lost-data/9652240b-05c9-4d62-8e41-d3c1d0b3c51b
  4. Lost data after windows update

Lost data after windows update: An unfortunate series of events ended with me losing some important files after a windows 10 update version 1909. Steps to reproduce: 1: After the initial update, my computer rebooted to a nearly clean desktop. Missing 90% of my desktop seemed to only contains certain...
  5. Lost Data in OneNote after Widnows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Data in OneNote after Widnows Update: I lost some of my data from OneNote after the last update and can't retrieve it. Any ideas? Windows will not allow me to go back to a previous version....
  6. data lost after win10 update

data lost after win10 update: Hello. I have just recognised that lots ot my folders and files disappeared documents, pictures, ect about 2-3 Gb after a windows 10 update. I tried everything what the communities adviced, hidden files, phantom user, restart indexing, ect., but only a few broken doc and...
  7. apps lost during automatic update

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    apps lost during automatic update: windows store-maps and calculator was lost doring automatic update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-store-maps-and-calculator-was-lost-doring/8e0876e2-c373-47c2-adce-bc58ee38908f"
  8. Data lost after update to build 18362.356

Data lost after update to build 18362.356: Hi, my Windows 10 laptop updated last night to version 1903, build 18362.356. Now, all (and I mean really all) my data seems lost. Some installed apps, as well as all my settings, are gone too. C:\Windows.old contains folders, but all of them (e. g. the...
  9. Update nightmares

Update nightmares: I have recently had a nightmare with my PC. A Win10 update in late December trashed the BIOS of my mo-bo and the critical boot and other sectors of the primary drive "0" aka C:. A re-flash restored the BIOS but the USB3 ports went AWOL. I took the C: drive out, attached it...
  10. retrieve lost data because of reset app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    retrieve lost data because of reset app: I reset Microsoft sticky notes app and all my sticky notes is gone ! .. is there any way to get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/retrieve-lost-data-because-of-reset-app/789c3b45-105e-4c71-a6dc-9e39a55686f2