Windows 10: Update notification on PC connected to WSUS 1809 LTSC

Discus and support Update notification on PC connected to WSUS 1809 LTSC in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a bunch of PCs all running 1809 LTSC with the target version policy set, and which get the updates from a W2012 R2 server running WSUS. Group... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Wobitancrawfodi, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Update notification on PC connected to WSUS 1809 LTSC

I have a bunch of PCs all running 1809 LTSC with the target version policy set, and which get the updates from a W2012 R2 server running WSUS. Group policy is set not to connect to any internet sites, deferrals do not cause scan against windows update, do not include drivers, and peercaching is disabled.

When I got home I found a notification on my PC saying there was an update pending. I freaked thinking it was a feature update, and wondered how such an update got to my PC. I couldn't get access - the PC was hung so I had to power it off.

After restarting, I looked at the software distribution folder and found one update - KB4570720 which is a preview update for .net. I always decline previews on wsus and the PCs group policy is also set not to install preview updates.

Seems that update was successfully installed (according to the event log), so I've uninstalled it. It was showing as a Windows update, not as a .net or preview update. This just gets weirder by the minute.

The WindowsUpdate logs showed 164 expired downloaded files purged (I guess during startup?). But I had checked the softwaredistribution folder earlier in the day and it was empty.

What I also noticed was that in the Windowsupdate logs there was nothing at all between 15:41 and when I restored the system, though I'd been using it all night up until about midnight.

I have turned off all notifications by group policy as well, but when I looked at the security and maintenance settings I can see the few that are not greyed out had been re-enabled. When I disabled them and rebooted they got re-enabled again.

To make matters worse, there are no preview updates pending on WSUS (Either set to install or not approved), and indeed, no updates at all for my PC had been approved, so where the hell did this come from, and why am I getting notifications when I Have disabled notifications?

So I checked for viruses - PC is clean.

Any ideas on what might of happened?

Tomorrow I think I'll re-install Windows just in case. But I'd sure like to be able to understand this weirdness.

:)

Wobitancrawfodi, Dec 11, 2020
Thema:

Update notification on PC connected to WSUS 1809 LTSC

1. Update notification on PC connected to WSUS 1809 LTSC - Similar Threads - Update notification connected

2. Where can I find updates for the Windows 1809 LTSC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where can I find updates for the Windows 1809 LTSC: Hey,So I have several computers that is not connected to internet and needs updates, where can I find this?I cant find them in the.Microsoft Update CatalogThanks in advance....
  3. Update from Windows version 1809 Enterprise LTSC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update from Windows version 1809 Enterprise LTSC: I have tried updating to the latest version of Windows through the ISO but got this error message: Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance....
  4. Update from Windows version 1809 Enterprise LTSC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update from Windows version 1809 Enterprise LTSC: I have tried updating to the latest version of Windows through the ISO but got this error message: Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance....
  5. Update from Windows version 1809 Enterprise LTSC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Activating Windows 10 1809 LTSC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows 10 1809 LTSC: Hello, I have about 100 HP PC's that were purchased with Windows 10 Pro OEM from HP. Here is my issue. I need to know if I do not let the system hit the internet and then apply Windows 10 1809 LTSC license from the scratcher? If the unit hits the internet will it try and...
  7. 1809 not recieving update notifications. WSUS shows polled.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    1809 not recieving update notifications. WSUS shows polled.: Hi, well I've finally come to this place. It was something I've been avoiding for years... Not coming here, being compelled to install W10 on my network. Let the fun begin. *092 1809 Enterprise desktop installs poll the WSUS update server and register that they need...
  8. Windows 10 LTSC 1809 version features update

Windows 10 LTSC 1809 version features update: Hi, I installed Windows 10 LTSC 1809 ver, but there is no features like Windows app store, cortana and so on. How can i install those features. Please help me out....
  9. Windows 10 version 1809 and WSUS without internet connection

Windows 10 version 1809 and WSUS without internet connection: I've been building a test laboratory to try out Windows 10 version 1809 with Windows Server 2019 and I've come across an issue. When I configure the clients to connect to WSUS for updating, they won't connect and scan if they don't have an internet connection. I'm testing...
  10. Notifications are gone - update 1809

Notifications are gone - update 1809: Hi, anyone has the similar issue fixed? 1. Info about notifications... [ATTACH] 2. After clicking... [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/notifications-are-gone-update-1809/5df95408-e3ed-4dda-bc5f-88d34025b6ee