Windows 10: Update past v1703 maddeningly impossible

Discus and support Update past v1703 maddeningly impossible in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a purchased copy of Windows 10 Home (64-bit) and it's unfortunately stuck on v1709. For frustrating/mysterious reasons, it was never updated to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MoreCowbell, May 15, 2021.

1. Update past v1703 maddeningly impossible

I have a purchased copy of Windows 10 Home (64-bit) and it's unfortunately stuck on v1709. For frustrating/mysterious reasons, it was never updated to v1803, v1803, or even v1903. I have been trying repeatedly to get v20H2 (October 2020) installed but Windows 10 Update Assistant, after much gyration and time, fails to implement the update: 1.Accept 2.Getting a few things ready ... Update this PC now Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC 3.Downloading Windows ... 4.Verifying download ... 5.Creating Windows 10 media ... Alas, I have no confidence in Microsoft's Windows 10 Update Assistant and believe it's flawed software. This script as been done over and over again, with no success. Sometimes, after Step 3, it seemingly aborts and presents the desktop. Other times, it seems to complete all 5 steps and during the Restart, a cryptic error message appears and the restart continues. I stumbled onto this interesting WCCFtech article by Rafia Shaikh (who seems to be a real Windows 10 expert): Oct 20, 2020 13:11 EDT Direct Download Windows 10 ISO Files for Version 20H2 (32-Bit / 64-Bit) From this article: Direct download Windows 10 20H2 ISO files Microsoft has released the Windows 10 20H2 ISO files, which are now available for download. Here are the links (valid for both Home and Pro) to download Windows 10 October 2020 Update: Windows 10 October 2020 Update (64-bit) Windows 10 October 2020 Update (32-bit) Unfortunately, those links are now dead. I understand that, at least theoretically, v1709 can be updated to v20H2 directly, obviating (bypassing) the several incremental updates between the two. Is this true ?? If using Windows 10 Update Assistant I was able to create an ISO file for v20H2, could that file be used to update my current system that is at v1709? Or does the ISO file presume a total clean install on a blank hard drive? I was hoping that I might simply download a simple Update Executable for, say, v1903 that might get me past the sticking point. Would someone any good (preferable simple) suggestion as to how I can get my system updated to v20H2 ?? The process so far has been maddening.

:)

MoreCowbell, May 15, 2021
  2. JATownes Win User

Best thermal paste

Most decent thermal paste is about all the same (1-2 degree difference). Without knowing the two listed, (I use MX-2), I would suggest going with the one that is non-conductive.

JATownes, May 15, 2021
  3. Help with heat sink thermal paste for h100i 1800x

Use the paste you brought. Also I would have suggest artic x4 unless yours is better but yes use yours.

Actually check the temp with the factory standard factory paste first and list the temps

SanityGaming, May 15, 2021
  4. 3Colors Win User

Update past v1703 maddeningly impossible

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Update past v1703 maddeningly impossible :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, May 15, 2021
Thema:

Update past v1703 maddeningly impossible

1. Update past v1703 maddeningly impossible - Similar Threads - Update past v1703

2. Updating almost impossible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updating almost impossible: My windows 10 PC downloading updates is impossible as of the moment. The download button is greyed out and will not provide you option to update. The last update was last month this year so im aware that it is just working before. I dont know what happens and why I cant...
  3. Updating almost impossible

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updating almost impossible: My windows 10 PC downloading updates is impossible as of the moment. The download button is greyed out and will not provide you option to update. The last update was last month this year so im aware that it is just working before. I dont know what happens and why I cant...
  4. Updating Windows is impossible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updating Windows is impossible: Trying to update my Windows 10 21H2 but it is not working. The download will stuck at 99 and does nothing at all. When I check it on the next day it goes back to zero and need to download again then stuck at 99. Unfortunately I dont have anti-virus program only defender so I...
  5. Updating Windows is impossible

Updating Windows is impossible: Trying to update my Windows 10 21H2 but it is not working. The download will stuck at 99 and does nothing at all. When I check it on the next day it goes back to zero and need to download again then stuck at 99. Unfortunately I dont have anti-virus program only defender so I...
  6. Madden game won't run past icon screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Madden game won't run past icon screen: Every time I click the icon to start Madden a box pops up with "Do You Want To Allow This App From Unknown Publisher To Make Changes To Your Device". I've tried clicking Yes & No. Neither does anything....
  7. Madden game won't run past icon screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Madden game won't run past icon screen: Every time I click the icon to start Madden a box pops up with "Do You Want To Allow This App From Unknown Publisher To Make Changes To Your Device". I've tried clicking Yes & No. Neither does anything....
  8. Update Impossible

Update Impossible: Tried to update Windows 3 times. Finally got error code 0x007042b. HELP! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-impossible/8cc51ae5-1ee0-4fba-81c8-6b06a53b4309
  9. Maddening wireless problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Maddening wireless problem: I have this very odd wireless issue which I am scratching my head about. I have just set up three brand new (Windows 10) laptops in a big room, 40 ft by 20 ft approximately. All the laptops are identical, high end models. The router (a BT hub) provides high speed fibre...
  10. The Road to The Madden 17 Championship

in Windows 10 News
    The Road to The Madden 17 Championship: [img] The 2017 Madden Championship Series (MCS) is a 9-month competitive journey with four major stops, offering a total prize pool of $1,000,000. It culminates with the 3-week Madden Championship, which crowns this year’s best Madden competitor. To kick it off, let’s...