Windows 10: update policies - how do I un-set?

Discus and support update policies - how do I un-set? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; This computer is not part of a work domain or workgroup, I don't need to log in here, this is my home computer. When windows 10 was new, I ran a bunch... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by dukeofurl, Jul 30, 2019.

1. dukeofurl Win User

update policies - how do I un-set?

This computer is not part of a work domain or workgroup, I don't need to log in here, this is my home computer.

When windows 10 was new, I ran a bunch of stuff that claimed to help stop Windows 10 from snooping on me, and that's what I think did this. That was many years ago though.

So, now (not new behavior) I'm running Win Update, and it tells me that "some settings are managed by my organization" - but this is the first time it's told me why. It says Policies set on my device:

Notify to download updates
    Source: Administrator
    Type: Group Policy

Set Automatic Update options
    Source: Administrator
    Type: Group Policy

So, what I'm wondering is, how do I unset these policies, so they don't come back?

thanks

:)

dukeofurl, Jul 30, 2019
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Jul 30, 2019
  3. Windows 10 error: "Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client service. Please consult your system administrator"

Hi Rico,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the operating system.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Which edition of Windows Operating System are you using?
    • What all the troubleshooting steps have you performed?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates on your Operating System?
    • Have you installed any third-party anti-virus software on your system?

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

I suggest you to Stop the Group Policy service, restart and set it to Automatic.

Group Policy Client service, this service is responsible for applying settings configured by administrators for the computers and users through the Group Policy component. If the service
    is disabled the settings will be applied and applications and components will not be manageable through Group Policy.

Step 1: Stop the Group Policy Client service.

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Stop.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: Start the service and set it to automatic:

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Properties.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 30, 2019
  4. Gobbo Win User

Win 10 Anniversary, automatic updates & Group Policy Settings

Hello, I've just installed KB3176929. Now I am running Windows 10 Education v1607, b14393.10.

Almost everything it's fine despite "Windows Update Settings" *Mad.

In the past I've used Local Group Policy Editor to tweak the settings and make Windows notify me when I need some update, without downloading or installing anything.

Now, in gpedit the relevant policy is still correct:

update policies - how do I un-set? [​IMG]

The problem is that in the Update section, under Settings it shows the following:

So it's clearly stated that download and installation will be executed without user intervention.
    Also Active hours button is also displayed, but I have never had this before Anniversary update.

Before this update my Update Settings screen was similar to this one:

What I have already tried to get back the previous behavior:
    1. set the policy Configure auto updates to not configured
    2. shut down and power up
    3. set the policy Configure auto updates to enabled & 2 = Notify before...
    4. manually checked for update
    5. reboot

I did not succeed.

Is this policy still applicable to Win 10 Edu?
    Have you any suggestions?

Many thanks update policies - how do I un-set? :)

P.S.: I am wondering if disabling active hours from registry can help or not.

Gobbo, Jul 30, 2019
Thema:

1. update policies - how do I un-set? - Similar Threads - update policies set

2. How do i get rid of this update policy message?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do i get rid of this update policy message?: How do i get rid of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-rid-of-this-update-policy-message/e1dc5058-9adf-45e6-a748-0cfcacebc8ff
  3. How do i get rid of this update policy message?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i get rid of this update policy message?: How do i get rid of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-rid-of-this-update-policy-message/e1dc5058-9adf-45e6-a748-0cfcacebc8ff
  4. How do i get rid of this update policy message?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. how do i un-install games?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i un-install games?: how do i uninstall games? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-un-install-games/05539f57-aae2-44e0-8c56-1568f4df65f0
  6. how do i un-install games?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i un-install games?: how do i uninstall games? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-un-install-games/05539f57-aae2-44e0-8c56-1568f4df65f0
  7. How to Un-pause updates under Updates and Security in Settings?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Un-pause updates under Updates and Security in Settings?: My Acer Aspire 5738 has Windows 10 Home. Few months back, I put pause for 7 days on Win updates just to try. I don't see any benefit from it. So, I want to REMOVE this pause. I went to Advanced Options. I changed to Select Date in the drop down box below Pause Updates. And...
  8. update policies - how do I un-set?

in Windows 10 Support
    update policies - how do I un-set?: This computer is not part of a work domain or workgroup, I don't need to log in here, this is my home computer. When windows 10 was new, I ran a bunch of stuff that claimed to help stop Windows 10 from snooping on me, and that's what I think did this. That was many years ago...
  9. How do I un block...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I un block...: Your recent answers apply to downloading a program from the internet. This is NOT my problem, I already have the .exe file in my downloads folder. The problem is that it will not run on windows 10. Windows 10 is blocking it rather than a web client. Thanks, Elias...
  10. How do I stop this un-needed update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I stop this un-needed update?: I installed the latest driver package from NVIDIA Sept 3. For the last week Microsoft has been trying to install and NVIDIA update and has consistantly failed. See Mesage below: NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240 - Error 0x800f0102 How do I stop this or...