Windows 10: Update Stops at 27% and restarts saying "Cannot install, Undoing Changes"

Discus and support Update Stops at 27% and restarts saying "Cannot install, Undoing Changes" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; 0X8007042B - 0X2000D The installation failed in the SAFE-OS phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation.”... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kaarthik Raghavan, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Update Stops at 27% and restarts saying "Cannot install, Undoing Changes"

0X8007042B - 0X2000D

The installation failed in the SAFE-OS phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation.”

:)

Kaarthik Raghavan, Jun 8, 2019
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 8, 2019
  3. ShannonAU Win User
    KB3205386 / KB3210721 We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes, Don't turn off your computer

Hi,

Sometime late last year (I can't remember when this started) I had a Windows Update that automatically installed and it resulted in an error. This has continued until now and I have been avoiding fixing due to time restrictions it but now must be
    rectified. In my update history the failing updates are listed as KB3205386 and KB3210721. The problem occurs as follows:

1. Windows update installs the update and requires a restart - If I try to shut down the computer it will install the update and restart.

2. The restart configures the update up until 95-100% (not sure which number it stops at).

3. The screen then says "We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes, Don't turn off your computer"

Steps 2. and 3. take a long time, I haven't timed it precisely but I would estimate 2-3 hours.

I cannot shut down my computer without going through this process and the other day Windows scheduled the installation and I was not able to change the scheduled time.

I have read many forums trying to solve this and have conducted a number of processes to solve this problem:

• Viewed the Installed Updates and uninstalled both KB3205386 and KB3210721.
    • Run Command Prompt as Administrator and entered:
      • net stop bits
      • net stop wuauserv
    • Opened the Services console and Disabled and Stopped Windows Update
    • Browsed to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and deleted all the files and folders inside
    • Downloaded the stand-alone package for both updates from the Microsoft Update Catalog website, saved into C:\updates
    • Disabled my internet connection
    • In msconfig (System Configuration) Services tab disabled all non-Microsoft services
    • Restarted
    • Run Command Prompt as Administrator and entered:
      • wusa.exe C:\updates\[updatefilename].msu
    • Waited for installation, installation says it is finished and requires a restart.
    • Click to Restart.
    • Check the update history, it displays that the update failed.
    At this point the same process occurs in steps 2. and 3. of the error listed at the beginning of this post.

I have tried KB3205386 first and then KB3210721. Neither have worked.

If anybody has suggestions where to go from here it would be highly appreciated.

ShannonAU, Jun 8, 2019
  4. Lucy HH Win User

Update Stops at 27% and restarts saying "Cannot install, Undoing Changes"

KB3213986 failed to install 'undoing changes'

Having trouble with the latest update KB3213986. Tried all things suggested on many posts on this site but no luck. No matter what trying to install this update results in a restart that takes several hours to install then restarts to say it has failed and
    undoing changes.

Here is my system summary: https://1drv.ms/t/s!As_TAcFgk3v7oysPrZZsmCuSqyDg

Also my system log: https://1drv.ms/u/s!As_TAcFgk3v7oyxpUtdwfwJie-jm

Tried everything I've seen advised bar re-installing windows again... Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated

Lucy HH, Jun 8, 2019
Thema:

Update Stops at 27% and restarts saying "Cannot install, Undoing Changes"

1. Update Stops at 27% and restarts saying "Cannot install, Undoing Changes" - Similar Threads - Update Stops 27%

2. I tried to reset PC but it says undoing changes and again restarts.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I tried to reset PC but it says undoing changes and again restarts.: Laptop is not starting. It says your pc ran into some problem need to restart. It's stopcode is critical service failed. A give me solution for these B I tried to reset my laptop but starts and says undoing changes and restarts. Pls give me solution for this....
  3. Cannot complete update/Undoing changes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot complete update/Undoing changes: After troubleshooting a problem with my HP Pavilion desktop running Windows 10, tech support told me that I had to reinstall the operating system; which I did by following the link provided to Microsoft and downloading the installation file. That solved my problem. However,...
  4. Windows will not update, always says undoing changes.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows will not update, always says undoing changes.: For the past year my laptop keeps getting this error where windows refuses to update and the updates keep failing. I get the message Windows couldn't complete update, Undoing changes. My windows is on an SSD and the rest of my stuff is on my hard drive. This issue started...
  5. 1909 Update gets to 94% and then restarts and says "undoing changes done to your PC"

1909 Update gets to 94% and then restarts and says "undoing changes done to your PC": it then returns to the previous version and tells m to update again, this happens every time. I've tried all the other answers I can find https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/1909-update-gets-to-94-and-then-restarts-and-says/94ffa500-c9f1-43b4-af3a-cc2d4b603539
  6. cannot update to 1903 - windows undoing changes

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    cannot update to 1903 - windows undoing changes: rebuilt my laptop yesterday using Macrium the last build I had made was in January this year therefore need to update software and windows updates. System has updated to 1803 states there is an update for 1903 - download this system reboots - starts to install the update...
  7. windows 10 cannot install updates undoing changes

windows 10 cannot install updates undoing changes: I have read through all the threads relating to this issue and none of the solutions have worked and the problem remains unresolved. I see that updates are being installed though as the latest update was this morning. However the annoying message and time delay keeps...
  8. Resetting stops at 34%, then says Undoing changes

Resetting stops at 34%, then says Undoing changes: Hi, Let me make some things clear first: - I don't have a USB drive - I don't have a external drive - I have an ASUS UX360CA laptop - I got Windows 10 installed Ok, so lately I've been trying to reset my PC (Reset anything > Just my files) but the reset goes on to...
  9. Windows Cannot Update Undoing Changes

Windows Cannot Update Undoing Changes: Every time I update it is showing windows cannot update undoing changes at 99% this is my error code (0x8024a105) please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cannot-update-undoing-changes/50db9741-008f-4667-9b76-2ad836874fa6
  10. WINDOWS CANNOT UPDATE UNDOING CHANGES

WINDOWS CANNOT UPDATE UNDOING CHANGES: Every time I update it is showing windows cannot update undoing changes at 99% this is my error code (0x8024a105) please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-cannot-update-undoing-changes/6416894d-0801-4306-b28c-3adbb0a0f3f3

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update stops at 27%