Windows 10: Update Takes Forever

Discus and support Update Takes Forever in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is more of a curiosity question, but why does it take hours to update from one build to the next? I'm going from 10041 to 10049 and it's been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SylenThunder, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Update Takes Forever

This is more of a curiosity question, but why does it take hours to update from one build to the next?

I'm going from 10041 to 10049 and it's been running for about two-and-a-half hours now. It's currently at 20%.

Seems like the update to 10041 took a long time as well, but I wasn't trying to use the PC at the time, so it wasn't quite as annoying. *092

I mean, I know my system is an older one, (Core 2 Quad Q6600, 8GB RAM, and no SSD), but it seems to be taking a lot longer than it should.
    Is it just me, or is this normal?

:)

SylenThunder, Apr 1, 2015

2. Creators Update taking FOREVER!

Hi Thanks for your reply. Can I ask if a clean install would not be easier. Not everyone is a guru.

I'm happy you got it solved. How many PC users are going to do those things?

There seem to be so many things that can cause these updates to fail. It will blow your mind if you read all of the reasons. I'm thinking MS could use some of you guys instead of the educated idiots they have now. LMAO

PS You guys are appreciated. Keep up the good work!

Gary!

garybear89, Apr 1, 2015
  3. Creators Update taking FOREVER!

Checking on updates, saw the line about Creators Update rolling out soon, BUT, if you want it now, Click Here. So I did. Executable downloaded, launched it, it did its thing, PC restarted, blue screen with "Working on update XX% Don't turn off your PC.
    This will take a while. Your PC will restart several times." So, 4% pretty quick, hour later 79%, 2 hours after that 82%, go to bed, 9 hours later 85%. What gives? Could have wiped my PC and reloaded from scratch in this amount of time!

AnthonyRothrock, Apr 1, 2015
  4. dmholt57 Win User

Update Takes Forever

Mostly has to do with your internet download speed, and how much the servers are throttled back to account for the number of people downloading at the time. My install only took about 40 minutes to completion. *Cool

dmholt57, Apr 1, 2015
  5. Charlie Win User
    It does take a long time on some pc's and download speeds might be in that too. I read others didn't take that long.
    Welcome to 10Forums hope it all goes well for you. *Biggrin

Charlie, Apr 1, 2015
  6. Oh, that makes perfect sense. I figured it would pre-load the update files and not download them in-stream while doing it. I guess it doesn't help that I'm using half the bandwidth for other things then. Must pause software downloads on Steam for the other PC I'm playing with then. *Nerd

SylenThunder, Apr 1, 2015
  7. machare Win User
    My main desktop PC upgraded from build 10041 without undue delay and works much better. Build 10041 was a disaster for me, and was an upgrade from an earlier build.

On my laptop, I upgraded a copy of Windows 8.0 to build 10041. This appears to work OK. I tried to upgrade to build 10049. It got stuck at 30% and after a couple of hours I pressed the power off switch. When I powered back on the PC reverted back to build 10041.*Sleepy

machare, Apr 1, 2015
  8. Update Takes Forever

Taking forever here too, and my Internet connection rocks. I loaded up 10041 and am now upgrading to 10049. Been sitting at 2% for a really long time. Tempted to bag it.

musiclover7, Apr 2, 2015
  9. adamf Win User
    Which are you talking about? Download or upgrade?

Downloading is slow, sure. Then the upgrade is also very slow - for me it sits on 3% for 20/30 minutes. The whole upgrade took 3 or 4 hours. It is much faster if you have downloaded the ESD to convert it into an ISO and just clean install. Clean install is 10 minutes or so.

adamf, Apr 2, 2015
  10. linw Win User
    My upgrade on an old Dell has been going over 5 hrs and is stuck at 30%. Even after the file downloaded, it was as slow as a dog. Heaven knows what it was doing to take this time. Restarted and back to 10041. 10049 just doesn't like this older comp. Don't know why it takes so long to find out, though!

My main machine took about 40 min. Thank goodness for that.

11. PadreKing Win User
    Win7pro deactivated itself, won't accept any updates, MS could not fix. Finally purchased and downloaded Win10pro but only would start after I powercycled the pc. Now it has been running 2 hrs but its only downloaded 618,027 but its Uploaded 1,765,205 bytes!? Thats not checking for updates! That is stealing my data!

PadreKing, Sep 14, 2016
  12. opewind Win User
    After reading about other people's experiences with slow Win 10 updates I feel compelled to report my own experience. Although I can't be sure which exact update is involved it has now been 4 days and it is at 96%. Twelve hours ago it was at 76% and it spent all day yesterday at 71%. The first two days was mostly spent at 36% and 42%.

When I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 it took 19 hours. Once the installation was finished and the dust had settled it ran about the same as it had before on Win 8.1. It is not a fast machine but handles common tasks just fine. My 9-year old son successfully uses it for Minecraft when going out of the house to visit friends.

I have the good fortune to be on a super fast internet connection so I doubt it is slowing the process.

Eureka! The update finished about three hours after I posted the above. It was a "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607". Seems that was the Anniversary Update. Wow, four days.

opewind, Nov 15, 2016
  13. Gerry5039 Win User

Update Takes Forever

I have a very fast PC with everything high spec, and 200Mbits download speed, yet mine takes forever as well, it has been 24 hrs so far for this update Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3213986). its just rediculous. Microsoft really need to do something about this, their servers don't seem to be powerfull enough to cope.

Gerry5039, Jan 11, 2017
  14. Rose W Win User
    If I get out of bed at 4.30 to 5 a.m. and use the settings/update the download and install is swift and smooth. This routine is the total opposite if it is after 5 p.m. Then the download will take all night and the install will go on into the early morning hours. Through the day is also a slow process. My interpretation is the number of people using the specific service at the receiving end.
    What is confusing is the fact I can get a strong download from the catalog and that specific Kb install goes along as others describe. Then I can use that huge standalone downloaded file on a second machine. It does not contain the extras, Flash, Malicious tool. Those I downloaded manually. Two machines was approx. 2 hours total at less than 5mbits speed.
    At a 200mbits download I would be talking to the server and questioning if there is throttling going on during specific hours.

Rose W, Jan 11, 2017
  15. Gerry5039 Win User
    There is no throttling, I just downloaded a 4.5gb download from Microsoft server and it took me 1minute 30 seconds my provider is brilliant never had a problem, I think it is the update servers at Microsoft where the problem lays. It has sat now at 95% for the last 5 hours, looking at the stats in updates the file has failed 5 times, yet other updates have come down fine. Lets try and figure that one out.

Gerry5039, Jan 11, 2017
Thema:

Update Takes Forever

1. Update Takes Forever - Similar Threads - Update Takes Forever

2. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  3. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  4. Update is taking forever

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update is taking forever: Hello, there was a system update for my Dell windows 10 laptop. When I updated it, it's been 4 hours already but it's still at 24%? It's not stucked, but it takes around 15 minutes every additional 1%. What should I do? submitted by /u/ngcy00 [link] [comments]...
  5. Windows taking forever to Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows taking forever to Update: I did one of the Windows update and it told me to restart my computer. Usually it takes 5 minutes but today its been over an hour restarting. What should i do?...
  6. Checking for updates takes forever

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Checking for updates takes forever: It actually does not check for updates in Windows 10, why? 148176
  7. Windows Update takes forever

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update takes forever: The windows update end up took more than 3 hours to complete. Would it be possible to get an estimated time to update beforehand? And it would be nice if the windows can display the estimated remaining time needed instead of the percentage completed because it could be stuck...
  8. photo update taking forever

photo update taking forever: Been trying to open a photo. Keep getting a pop up that says: "Give us a minute were are updating photos. It should be ready to use shortly." That was hours ago. Help!!...
  9. All updates taking forever.

All updates taking forever.: I just got my brand-new gaming PC the other day, and it's great! It's the very first Windows 10 computer that I have ever had. I started downloading things I wanted on my computer, 1 at a time, but I noticed that it was downloading very, very slowly. I am most positive that...
  10. Updates taking forever

Updates taking forever: With windows 10 , Getting updates . This might take a few minutes . Well it has been 4 hrs and usually I download at 700 k to 1.1 Mb per sec ? [img] What updates do you think it is snagging ? 12472