Windows 10: Update Takes Forever

Discus and support Update Takes Forever in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; That failed install happened to me with the Dec update on the laptop. After 3 times I gave up and took it to a tech service. He used the(free) software... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SylenThunder, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Rose W Win User

Update Takes Forever

That failed install happened to me with the Dec update on the laptop. After 3 times I gave up and took it to a tech service. He used the(free) software clean/repair tool referenced here often to clear out presence of previous attempts and the install went in without fault. Now I cannot recall the name of that tool. But removing any traces of previous download solved the issue.

Tweaking.com is the source of the repair tool

Rose W, Jan 11, 2017
  2. Gerry5039 Win User
    Gerry5039, Jan 11, 2017
  3. I was having a lot of trouble with this update as well. If you want to make this happen fast go to Microsoft and download the update and manually install it.

Go to Microsoft Update Catalog, key in the KB you want, KB3213986 in this case, and download it. About 1GB. Now to prepare your system, if you have had issues run the Windows trouble shooter. (Part of Windows 10). Best to run once just to be sure.

Type troubleshooting in the Cortana search bar, troubleshooting appears at top.
    Click it, window opens, lower right side "Fix problems with Windows Update", click.
    Window opens, click on “advance”, click on Run as administrator, click “Next”.
    Should run clean. If not run again.

With it clean, type services into Cortana, Services Desk top app will appear at top. Click it. Scroll down the the Windows Update services. If it is running stop it. The Windows Update service must be stopped to manual install. Once stopped find your downloaded file and double click. Restart computer.

Caledon Ken, Jan 12, 2017
  4. garymorad Win User

Update Takes Forever

It been 12 hours since I upgraded from window 7 to 10 pro and installation is not finished yet.Please let me know when upgrade will be over?

garymorad, Jan 14, 2017
  5. What is currently on screen?

Caledon Ken, Jan 14, 2017
  6. garymorad Win User
    All it said for the last 12 hours is update and more update !!!

garymorad, Jan 14, 2017
  7. If you have been on one screen for 12 hours that says updating you are in a loop. Did you back up you data before you started the upgrade?

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Update Takes Forever

1. Update Takes Forever - Similar Threads - Update Takes Forever

2. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  3. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  4. Update is taking forever

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update is taking forever: Hello, there was a system update for my Dell windows 10 laptop. When I updated it, it's been 4 hours already but it's still at 24%? It's not stucked, but it takes around 15 minutes every additional 1%. What should I do? submitted by /u/ngcy00 [link] [comments]...
  5. Windows taking forever to Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows taking forever to Update: I did one of the Windows update and it told me to restart my computer. Usually it takes 5 minutes but today its been over an hour restarting. What should i do?...
  6. Checking for updates takes forever

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Checking for updates takes forever: It actually does not check for updates in Windows 10, why? 148176
  7. Windows Update takes forever

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update takes forever: The windows update end up took more than 3 hours to complete. Would it be possible to get an estimated time to update beforehand? And it would be nice if the windows can display the estimated remaining time needed instead of the percentage completed because it could be stuck...
  8. photo update taking forever

photo update taking forever: Been trying to open a photo. Keep getting a pop up that says: "Give us a minute were are updating photos. It should be ready to use shortly." That was hours ago. Help!!...
  9. All updates taking forever.

All updates taking forever.: I just got my brand-new gaming PC the other day, and it's great! It's the very first Windows 10 computer that I have ever had. I started downloading things I wanted on my computer, 1 at a time, but I noticed that it was downloading very, very slowly. I am most positive that...
  10. Updates taking forever

Updates taking forever: With windows 10 , Getting updates . This might take a few minutes . Well it has been 4 hrs and usually I download at 700 k to 1.1 Mb per sec ? [img] What updates do you think it is snagging ? 12472