Windows 10: Update to 10 for unused 7/8 licenses?

Discus and support Update to 10 for unused 7/8 licenses? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Read update FAQ, but... Bought 4 Win8 licenses when Win8 was released. Tried 1 (as Win8.1) but keep getting BSOD when my hdd would "sleep", so bailed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dianedebuda, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Update to 10 for unused 7/8 licenses?

Read update FAQ, but... Bought 4 Win8 licenses when Win8 was released. Tried 1 (as Win8.1) but keep getting BSOD when my hdd would "sleep", so bailed (without activation?) and bought Win7. I also bought an additional Win7 license then, "just in case". What should be the update status for these unused Win8 (x4) and Win4 (x1) licenses? I plan a couple of new boxes, but they will not be built until Sep-Nov.

:)

dianedebuda, Jul 6, 2015
  2. neilpzz Win User

Can i use my current product key on virtual box

You would need a key for Windows 10 or upgrade from an unused copy of Windows 7 or 8 in the VirtualBox.

neilpzz, Jul 6, 2015
  3. upgrade win 7 home to win 10 pro via unused win 8 pro key

Hi,

Refer to the suggestions provided by
    Andre Da Costa
    in the link with regards to the same.

Thank you.

Maxwell Joseph, Jul 6, 2015
  4. Update to 10 for unused 7/8 licenses?

You have a whole year after the July 29th release date to claim your free upgrade.

alphanumeric, Jul 6, 2015
  5. dianedebuda, Jul 6, 2015
  6. bobkn Win User
    It's clear that you could install Win 7 or 8 and upgrade to 10 for free anytime in the one year period beginning 7/29/2015.

This may offer a clue as to how it'll work: the most recent Insider Win 10 builds would install over an activated qualifying OS (8.1 in my case) without the need for a key. The resulting Win 10 installation was activated. I believe that the license key that could be extracted from Windows (as by Magical Jellybean Finder) was different from the 8.1 key. The extracted key could not be used to do a clean installation of 10.

It's not clear at all whether you could somehow go directly to Win 10 using a Win 7 or 8 license.

Microsoft has also promised that upgraders would be able to do a clean installation of Win 10 in the future. It's unclear as to how that might work. If MS intends to provide a new Win 10 product key, that has not been explicitly stated anywhere I've seen.

bobkn, Jul 6, 2015
  7. You can install after that date and still do the free upgrade. As long as its before the one year time frame runs out.

alphanumeric, Jul 6, 2015
  8. Update to 10 for unused 7/8 licenses?

Thanks, alphanumeric. I installed build 10162 as a clean install and it hasn't activated. Not concerned since I'm just doing a quick walk through and see if my BSOD probs still exist. Trying to decide if I have to choose Win8 or Win10 for this box now. So I can procrastinate without harm...*Smile

dianedebuda, Jul 6, 2015
  9. Boozad Win User
    Windows 10 is miles ahead of Windows 8 in my opinion.

Boozad, Jul 6, 2015
  10. OT: Maybe, but this box is just a movie server without web access. So far, there's things I like about 10, but there's some headaches.

-The text on stuff like File Explorer is not as clear as W7's and harder to read. Same monitor, same video processor but W7's is "blacker".
    -The active window is hard to find without the colored Title - a common complaint so maybe MS will fix or there'll be a 3rd party.
    -7+ Taskbar thingy isn't ready yet so I can freely move taskbar icons from ungrouped programs like File Explorer.
    -Control Panel/Settings schizophrenia.

Hoping for W10 at this point, but just loaded it yesterday for test.

dianedebuda, Jul 6, 2015
  11. bromanbro Win User
    Regarding font, search "Cleartype", and configure it. Windows 10 gives options to how you want your text.

bromanbro, Jul 7, 2015
  12. unifex Win User
    I did a clean install of 10162 and it activated without any problem. Did not have to use any keys from Win 7 or 8, just the insider preview key that was needed to start the installation.

unifex, Jul 7, 2015
  13. bromanbro Win User

Update to 10 for unused 7/8 licenses?

Yeah Insider Builds only have 1 key that they accept for Activation - Insider prerelease keys.

bromanbro, Jul 7, 2015
  14. alphanumeric, Jul 7, 2015
  15. unifix: It's not that codes didn't work. I didn't put in code when initially prompted 'cause I hoped I'd be able to put in later with cut/paste. Box has been w/o web since then. Hear going to be another release (iso I hope) shortly, so playing now without too much concern.

bromanbro: I did do ClearType. It's just that I can see a real difference by switching monitor source between 2 almost identical boxes with Win7 & Win10. Could be that I'm not using aero on the Win7 box - these old eyes prefer the flat - and not seeing a "classic"/flat profile (yet) for Win10. Hoping there'll be one that'll let me choose solid dark blue bg. I like 'em plain.

dianedebuda, Jul 7, 2015
Thema:

Update to 10 for unused 7/8 licenses?

1. Update to 10 for unused 7/8 licenses? - Similar Threads - Update unused licenses

2. 8 GB RAM, But 7.78 GB Unusable.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    8 GB RAM, But 7.78 GB Unusable.: Hello, So I Wanted To Know if I Can Use My Unusable RAM, Or Not, Because I Have Lot's Of Work, And I Want To Use The Unusable RAM, is There any way how to do it?...
  3. 8 GB RAM, But 7.78 GB Unusable.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    8 GB RAM, But 7.78 GB Unusable.: Hello, So I Wanted To Know if I Can Use My Unusable RAM, Or Not, Because I Have Lot's Of Work, And I Want To Use The Unusable RAM, is There any way how to do it?...
  4. 8/7/21 defender update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    8/7/21 defender update: My computer was fine and operating well on the 7th but when I used it on the 8th the computer blue screens. Restarts. And repeats. The only change was the update for windows defender. I know because I only used it for word doc on the 7th nothing els. Upon uninstalling the new...
  5. Windows 10, 8, or 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10, 8, or 7: Can Windows 10, 8, or 7 be installed on a MacBook Pro laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-8-or-7/1b2b0ef2-d4e9-494a-afda-ab7773e1ea39
  6. Unused Windows 10 OEM license transfer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unused Windows 10 OEM license transfer: Hi, it's a very particular question, I have an OEM license that hasn't been used and I would like to use it on another PC other than that which it was intended for. It has never been activated. My understanding is that OEM licenses can be resold to any PC, until they are...
  7. Windows 8/10 product licenses

Windows 8/10 product licenses: I have three copies of windows 8/8.1 and have installed them on three PC’s some time ago. Over time hardware has failed and been replaced as well as upgraded to windows 10, but only with two of the three licenses. I’m now replacing the third machine and I want to know how...
  8. What to do with unused Windows 8 OEM software/license?

What to do with unused Windows 8 OEM software/license?: Some time ago I purchased an OEM version of Windows 8 intended for system building (SKU: M17-8100), but never got around to using it, and the package remains sealed. It is possible that I will use it before July 29, in which case the new installation would be eligible for a...
  9. 7-8-10

7-8-10: I see many posts of issues with upgrades. I just wanted to share that its not all bad news with respect to 10 upgrades. I cleaned up my windows 8 install a big, removed some software I no longer used, and upgraded my 8.1 to 10 with no issues. Also like to note this is my...
  10. Updating Volume licensed Windows 8 to Win 10

Updating Volume licensed Windows 8 to Win 10: I have a volume licensed copy of Windows 8 Enterprise installed on my laptop for which and I no longer have access to updates. Is it possible to downgrade to a legal copy of Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate and then upgrade to Windows 10 Home or Pro? If not, would I be able to...