Windows 10: Update to 1809 messed up almost everything

Discus and support Update to 1809 messed up almost everything in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've updated a dozen of other computers to 1809 and had no problems. But those were mainly default setups, no advanced users. I thought it's time for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Labsyboy, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Labsyboy Win User

Update to 1809 messed up almost everything

I've updated a dozen of other computers to 1809 and had no problems. But those were mainly default setups, no advanced users.

I thought it's time for me as advanced user to upgrade my Win 10 to 1809. And I did it.

Jawww….disaster! Update to 1809 messed up almost everything :(

1. Upon first reboot, my profile was gone. All docs, pictures, desktop...empty, and path was C:\Users\TEMP\...
    2. My language changed from Slovenian to English, keyboard too. Language bar disappeared.
    3. Screen magnification changed to 200%...awww, lol Update to 1809 messed up almost everything :)
    4. Icons on START menu gone, nothing there

Ok, I waited half an hour for CPU to settle down (sfc.exe was top CPU hog).

Rebooted twice. So Now I've got:

1. Profile back to my original, that's fine, some 80% of desktop icons are back. Probably those, which were on my profile.
    2. But each reboot turns magnification back to 200%, relocates task bar from side to bottom, and sets its own icons instead of mine
    3. Start menu is full of DOWN ARROWS with description "A great app is on its way!". And after every reboot I get new "Gardenscapes" and other idiotic icons in start menu. Really?! This is business workstation, which I use to control Hyper-V servers, backups and such. I do not do gardens, play War of Empires, lick Lolypops or play cards here. Which moron at M$ set this up?
    4. I changed in tree navigation my computer name to "BORG2", now update changed it back to "My PC". How cute, really, M$...that's what I always wanted and was afraid to ask for… Grrrrrr!
    5. And on top...all my accounts lost the passwords. From M$ account, Office 365, Google Drive, all backup software, all licences for other software...

I simply HATE when M$ tries to force me their way. Let me be, leave my settings alone, they are MINE!

Just about to roll-back... We'll see.

:)

Labsyboy, Mar 13, 2019
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Update to 1809 messed up almost everything :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Mar 13, 2019
  3. Update Windows 10 to 1809 manually

It's been a while after Microsoft released an update to fix issues in the initial Windows 10 1809 update. But the page where we can download the updates as standalone packages still has a hole instead of download link to the 1809.17763.1 version package:

Update to 1809 messed up almost everything IrC85.png

Windows 10 Update Assistant page is useless as well, since it offers to download April 2018 Update, lol.

So, I can't update my 1803.17134.376 to 1809 even after more than a month since it's initially was released.

(Of course, "drastically improved" Windows Update doesn't suggest the 1809 update, too. Actually, it has been never working on this Win 10 copy, so I used to download all the updates manually via the first link in this post.)

Has anybody figured out a way of how to manually update from 1803 to 1809?

Without hardcore stuff, please, like making bootable media which potentially would have a great chance of destroying the currently installed Win 10 copy Update to 1809 messed up almost everything :)

UPDATE: I was completely confused by that "Microsoft recommends" wording near the 1809 update on that page and some top articles in Google saying that it was released and ready for production with that quick patch. So, this question is from this confusion.

Thanks to comments below and @music2myear answer, it's clear now that 1809 is still not released. So, there is no point in update attempts (at least for me) at the moment.

Alexander Abakumov, Mar 13, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

Intel E5200 Gets Updated, R0 Stepping Coming Up

Intel's Pentium Dual-Core E5200 processor is getting on course for a specifications update. The chip will feature in a new, improved Wolfdale-2M core, spec'd out as the R0 stepping, from its current M0 stepping. The new stepping is intended to add new instructions, power-management features, and bring about changes in the chip-package. A short list of known changes is as follows:
    • CPUID changed from 10677 to 1067A
    • Power State Indicator (PSI) support with Intel 4 series chipsets
    • New instructions - XSAVE and XRSTOR
    • New S-spec and MM numbers
    • New halide-free chip package
    Due to the changed CPUID, users may require BIOS updates to detect the CPU. According to the company, E5200 R0 should be out by April 13.

Source: TechConnect Magazine

btarunr, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Update to 1809 messed up almost everything - Similar Threads - Update 1809 messed

2. Blue screen of death messing everything up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen of death messing everything up: Hey, so i had a blue screen recently but it REALLY messed things up like some apps just say that i lack priviliges to open the app, i have tried re installing them resetting the computer but it just doesn't work so i was wondering how i could fix it or just some advice if i...
  3. I messed up everything by changing ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I messed up everything by changing ownership: Uhh... yes i did smth dumb... but please help me. I am the admin and the only user of my PC. But yet most of the folders and files is owned by SYSTEM or TrustedInstaller and whenever I try to access or delete those stuffs, it says access denied which was kinda annoying. So...
  4. I messed up everything by changing ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I messed up everything by changing ownership: Uhh... yes i did smth dumb... but please help me. I am the admin and the only user of my PC. But yet most of the folders and files is owned by SYSTEM or TrustedInstaller and whenever I try to access or delete those stuffs, it says access denied which was kinda annoying. So...
  5. Onedrive messed everything up help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Onedrive messed everything up help: I accidentally synchronized Onedrive with my folders and now I can't delete the folders created by onedrive because i'm getting a "Data in the reparse point buffer is invalid" error. I also don't know how to change my desktop folder to the previous one because now everything...
  6. Please help, everything is messed up

Please help, everything is messed up: Ok so I’ve had this problem for a long time and I’m finally done with putting up with it, I need to fix it, please if you have a solution say it! Here is my problems: 1.) Cannot open Microsoft Store and any Microsoft store apps 2.) Cannot open Settings and no type of...
  7. 1809 refuses to update to 1909. Have tried almost everything

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1809 refuses to update to 1909. Have tried almost everything: Initially Windows Update WU "found" 1909 and tried to install it itself. It goes through a few restarts, "Attempting to recover installation", "Undoing changes made to your computer". It gave me the error 0xc1900101, then after a few solutions and restarts, it gave me error...
  8. Update Messed up everything, cant revert.

Update Messed up everything, cant revert.: Recently saw all the posts/news about some Secruity problem and told repeatedly to Update wins10, so for once i did, complete mistake. Games refuse to open, everything i open from jump menu (Steam games, notepad files, etc.) either don't launch or 'bout 3 mins to actually...
  9. Seems Update 1809 has messed up my keyboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Seems Update 1809 has messed up my keyboard: Hi All, I'm running Win 10 on an HP Pavilion. I installed update 1809 just now and now my keyboard is messed up. Some keys are now not working. What is the best way to fix this? Try to update the keyboard driver? Some other solution? Anyone else have this issue? Thanks, I...
  10. Seems the Update 1809 messed up my keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seems the Update 1809 messed up my keyboard: Hi All, I'm running Win 10 on an HP Pavilion. It seems Update 1809 has messed up my keyboard. Some keys are now not working. What is the best way to fix this? Try to update the keyboard driver? Some other solution? Anyone else have this issue? Thanks, I did a google search...