Windows 10: Update to 1909 breaks folder search completely

Discus and support Update to 1909 breaks folder search completely in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm not even going to mention how thick and ugly the new search bar looks compared to the other ui elements, or how having to press enter to actually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/VL4DST3R, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Update to 1909 breaks folder search completely

I'm not even going to mention how thick and ugly the new search bar looks compared to the other ui elements, or how having to press enter to actually search for something instead of it happening in real time with each letter narrowing down the search like before; but what what i can't really ignore is that after the last update, every once in a while the search function form inside the folder stops working at all.

Clicking on the search field does nothing. The start menu still works when this happens and so far i haven't figured out a reliable way to fix it (other than restarting). I search for stuff a lot and if the extra step of having to press enter after everything, while extremely annoying, is ultimately bearable, this isn't. Any suggestions for what i could do to fix this?

(can you tell i am super annoyed by this?)

submitted by /u/VL4DST3R
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/VL4DST3R, Nov 27, 2019
  2. Guest1 Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Guest1, Nov 27, 2019
  3. Guest2 Win User
    Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Guest2, Nov 27, 2019
  4. Guest3 Win User

Update to 1909 breaks folder search completely

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Update to 1909 breaks folder search completely :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

Guest3, Nov 27, 2019
Thema:

Update to 1909 breaks folder search completely

1. Update to 1909 breaks folder search completely - Similar Threads - Update 1909 breaks

2. Update breaks search

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update breaks search: There are a series of updates that breaks the windows search on my PC. The one that I see that keeps causing the search to crash is KB5003637. I have tried a variety of methods to get it back working after it installs, but the only thing that has been working is removing the...
  3. Windows update completly breaks my pc

Windows update completly breaks my pc: Hi, a few months ago I think about 5, after restarting my pc for an update, I realised my microsoft edge was freezing and closing after 5 seconds. I tried everything I saw online related to this issue and no help.I also realised it wasn't only Microsoft edge, but also some...
  4. Updates completely breaking my computer?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Updates completely breaking my computer?: So, I've been having an issue lately. Every time my PC does an update according to event viewer, the last two times this has happened it was the "2020-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems" it will then refuse to boot up. Any attempt to turn...
  5. Saving Search Breaks Search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saving Search Breaks Search: This is Win 10 question. Just recently saved searches on explorer for pdf filed result in an invalid directory error. Word files work OK. If I do a search from explorer for pdf it works. If I save and run again I get the error. I have tried saving it in different...
  6. Dcom breaking windows 10 build 1909 search function

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dcom breaking windows 10 build 1909 search function: Anyone have a solution for this? I have done it on multiple machines and it is 100% repeatable. Fresh Win 10 build 1909 installs on multiple machines. Set the default authentication level from connect to none under the system wide dcom section under my computer. Default...
  7. Update 1909 breaks my bluetooth

Update 1909 breaks my bluetooth: Dear Microsoft posters, I use noise cancelling headphones for my hyperacusis, I cannot live without them since I got it, the slightest noises give me ear jaw and neck cramps and can make my tinnitus worse. So, after spending a lot of troubleshooting, I got bluetooth on my...
  8. 1909 update breaking rgb ram lighting control?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    1909 update breaking rgb ram lighting control?: Just updated to 1909 on both of my machines and now I have 0 control over the ram lighting Anyone else experiencing the same issues? Specs: PC 1 9900k Asus z390 rog Maximus 32gb trident z rgb Using Asus armoury crate for lighting control PC 2 7700k Asus z270 e strix...
  9. This 1909 file explorer search is a complete mess.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This 1909 file explorer search is a complete mess.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SvenCuaresma [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e2llqd/this_1909_file_explorer_search_is_a_complete_mess/
  10. Windows update completely breaks language selection

Windows update completely breaks language selection: This is just getting ridiculous. Every time there`s a windows update, an issue happens with language selection. Default language won`t work, or an extra keyboard is added for no reason, or am forced to use one language I don`t want to that`s tied to the wrong keyboard...