Windows 10: Update to Windows 10 1803 fails two dozen attempts...I've tried all the 'fixes'

Discus and support Update to Windows 10 1803 fails two dozen attempts...I've tried all the 'fixes' in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Seriously, I've tried everything. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64/bit on a stock Dell XPS 8930. I have read all the forums and performed all the voodoo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LarryinDurango, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Update to Windows 10 1803 fails two dozen attempts...I've tried all the 'fixes'

Seriously, I've tried everything. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64/bit on a stock Dell XPS 8930. I have read all the forums and performed all the voodoo tricks to get this stupid 1803 update to load, but it craps out with various error messages: problems booting, problems with drivers, etc etc. All drivers are current...BIOS is updated...

I have disconnected all peripherals, removed all third party repair and virus programs, downloaded an ISO of Win 10 and attempted to update from that…I can’t remember all the different options I’ve tried, but I’ve tried everything that the web as suggested.

I have gotten a variety of error code messages. The last error message I got points to a ‘driver error’, but of course does not point to a specific driver. Again, all drivers (including BIOS) are current…there are NO yellow exclamation points on any of the devices listed in device manager.

So today I called the thoroughly useless Dell support 'team'....their recommendation: wipe out the computer and install Windows 10 from scratch!!! The theory being that the 'update' to 1803 fails but a from-scratch reinstallation of Win10 (which presumably includes 1803) would succeed. EXCEPT that I see a lot of users who now cannot reinstall Windows 10 because it hangs up somewhere in the installation process...so now they don't have a functioning computer at all...no OS! Dell blames MS for installing a 'security boot' feature in 1803 that makes some machines puke...Dell says there's nothing to do but trash the whole thing and spend days re-installing apps and data. I am a VERY dissatisfied consumer...I was very happy with Win7 but had to upgrade to this lousy Win10 OS when I bought this new Dell over the summer. I hate it.

Does anyone have any help to offer? I thank you in advance for any hints!!

:)

LarryinDurango, Dec 17, 2018

2. Windows 10 1803 doesn't play nice with some Intel SSDs

Legit Reviews is reporting that Windows 10 1803 has issues with some Intel SSDs, specifically their 600p series: "When attempting to upgrade to Window 10 April 2018 Update select devices with certain Intel SSDs may enter a UEFI screen reboot or crash repeatedly." Microsoft and/or Intel are working on a fix.

Static~Charge, Dec 17, 2018
  3. Windows 10 1803 doesn't play nice with some Intel SSDs

Wintel-Lose

eidairaman1, Dec 17, 2018
  4. Update to Windows 10 1803 fails two dozen attempts...I've tried all the 'fixes'

Windows 10 Updates fails to install even after multiple attempts.

Checking for updates after following the steps, Will inform on the progress of the update process and whether this solves it or nope. Thank you for the suggestion.

[Update]
    The Trick didn't work.

Update to Windows 10 1803 fails two dozen attempts...I've tried all the 'fixes' [​IMG]

Update to Windows 10 1803 fails two dozen attempts...I've tried all the 'fixes' [​IMG]

The Security Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3074681) which was available, failed to install. And the same story again..

Shadow Delta, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

Update to Windows 10 1803 fails two dozen attempts...I've tried all the 'fixes'

1. Update to Windows 10 1803 fails two dozen attempts...I've tried all the 'fixes' - Similar Threads - Update 1803 fails

2. Windows 10 20H2 update fixes dozens of bugs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 20H2 update fixes dozens of bugs: Identified as KB4601382, it is optional and also available for Windows 10 v2004. Microsoft this week made an optional update available for Windows 10 20H2 and Windows 10 v2004 that brings fixes for dozens of bugs in the operating system, including one that causes the Settings...
  3. WIN10 Fail to update despite dozens of attempts

WIN10 Fail to update despite dozens of attempts: I have run WUdiag. I run DISM but it gives errors: drvstore, lookup image path, PE Provider, 0x8007007e, etc. I have removed the old update files between attempts. I have been thru the services - stop and start sequences. It will not allow a clean install. it will not...
  4. Update Fails over & over. Trying to update to 1803

Update Fails over & over. Trying to update to 1803: 1. Get error 0x80080005 when doing standalone install. 2. Tried deleting distribution folder, fails 3. Get error 0x800704c7 when doing update through settings 4. Tried the usb download and manual install, fails 5. Deactivated virus protection, fails 6. Stopped all...
  5. Trying to upgrade to version 1803, and always fails in Windows Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Trying to upgrade to version 1803, and always fails in Windows Update: I'm looking for suggestions for how to proceed. I have an older Toshiba laptop that has been working pretty well with Win 10 ver. 1709 on it for quite a while. I think for as long ago as since last summer, it has been trying to upgrade to version 1803, and always fails in...
  6. WINDOW 10/1803 UPDATE FAIL

WINDOW 10/1803 UPDATE FAIL: We have the same issue as most people, being unable to install the update, but except for a different update code KB890830 and error cx80070050. We have run the troubleshooter, and the report indicates "potential window update database error detected". Can someone assist to...
  7. Windows 10 update 1803 fails to install

Windows 10 update 1803 fails to install: I've attempted to install Windows 10 version 1803 at least a dozen times and each time failed. Takes hours and ends up with my PC frozen. I then have to force restart and the last version of windows has then been re-installed. I'm tired of wasting my time on this update...
  8. windows 10 1803 update failed

windows 10 1803 update failed: Hello I need help please. The 1803 windows 10 update was attempted today via the update & security in the background when I was working on the pc. This make it the 7th attempt, each failed with an error code of oxc1900101 or 0x80070002. When I looked at update after...
  9. Windows 10 Update 1803 April 2018 Update Fails Everytime I attempt Install:...

Windows 10 Update 1803 April 2018 Update Fails Everytime I attempt Install:...: This is quite frustrating. How can I get this update to install? How can I determine the actual issue and fix? I have tried the repeatedly with the same result. The error is: 0xc1900101-0x4000d The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during...
  10. Install attempt Failed with April 1803 update - 0x800704c7

Install attempt Failed with April 1803 update - 0x800704c7: Hi, Any help would be appreciated. Installation fails at 86%, then 'restores to previous version'. On my 17th attempt trying everything under the sun to update. Also have had error code 0xc1900101 as well, which i understand is device driver related. Tried with minimal...