Windows 10: Update to Windows 2004 completely wiped out all my files

Discus and support Update to Windows 2004 completely wiped out all my files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 2004 installed on my computer and completely wiped all my files. It's as if it did a total reinstall of Windows to factory default - nothing is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dlgsablemom, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Update to Windows 2004 completely wiped out all my files

Windows 2004 installed on my computer and completely wiped all my files. It's as if it did a total reinstall of Windows to factory default - nothing is there but the bare basics. Apps are gone, files are gone. I use Firefox as my browser of choice and it even wiped that. Fortunately I have cloud backup and have been able to recover most of my essential files, but a reinstall of Firefox didn't even recognize me so all my saved data there is gone. I apparently can't even go back to a previous version of Windows, it tells me that's not possible because the computer updated more than 10 days ago it didn't. I don't expect there to be a solution to this - I can probably reinstall the apps and I'll just have to deal with the rest. But if anybody's got any ideas as to how something like that could happen, I'd be interested to know.

:)

dlgsablemom, Jul 31, 2020
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Update to Windows 2004 completely wiped out all my files :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jul 31, 2020
  3. Feature Update Win 10 Pro 2004

The Feature Update Win 10 2004 appears to have installed successfully on my computer.

It is listed in Settings, System, About.

However, the Update has wiped out all of my previous Windows Update, View Update History which is now blank.

Moreover, the Feature Update Win 10 2004 itself is not listed in Settings, Update and Security, Windows Update, View Update History.

Is this important?

And if so, how can it be repaired?

Thanks.

RogerSquier, Jul 31, 2020
  4. Update to Windows 2004 completely wiped out all my files

Wiped out all my files, settings

I opened my computer to work and shockingly discover that all my files have been completely wiped out. It was fine the day before and no issues whatsoever. Skype and sticky notes does not work. I looked up online and found some saying that my account might
    have been corrupted and microsoft made this temporary account I am using as a fail safe. is this true? Will I still be able to recover my files? Upon checking my OS is Windows 10 Pro (I didn't even know)

HELP!!!!!

Mitchiekoo, Jul 31, 2020
Thema:

Update to Windows 2004 completely wiped out all my files

1. Update to Windows 2004 completely wiped out all my files - Similar Threads - Update 2004 completely

2. wiped all my files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wiped all my files: After the restart I noticed that all my files was gone, I tried restarting restarting several times because I thought it's just lagging or it will as move somewhere. Need help, cant find my files....
  3. wiped all my files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wiped all my files: After the restart I noticed that all my files was gone, I tried restarting restarting several times because I thought it's just lagging or it will as move somewhere. Need help, cant find my files....
  4. wiped all my files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. march 10 2021 update wiped out all my files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    march 10 2021 update wiped out all my files: i just woke up to find a windows update has wiped out all my files, pictures, bookmarks, music, etc. i can't even log into hotmail because i don't know my password so I have no idea how i'm going to know if there's a response to this question....
  6. Windows update wiped out all my settings

Windows update wiped out all my settings: An update Windows 10 this morning 12/12/2020 wiped all my app settings on the PC. I use Outlook for email. This app was not be found in the list. When I searched for it, it showed up but then I had to recreate my email account all over. Now it won't let me choose the inbox...
  7. Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004 wiped out all of my Apps and reset to factory.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004 wiped out all of my Apps and reset to factory.: Help! The auto update for feature update to Windows 10, version 2004 wiped out all my MS Office Apps, Quickbooks Pro and reset to factory. I realoaded all the apps and reinstalled from local backup Quiickbooks only to have 2 days later the update for 2020-07 Cumulative...
  8. feature update 2004 wiped out visual studio

feature update 2004 wiped out visual studio: I just applied feature update 2004 and the directories for visual studio 2019 are gone. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/feature-update-2004-wiped-out-visual-studio/6ad2a21e-a495-4e0a-9edd-5f6ea8177d77
  9. recent update wiped out all of my information

recent update wiped out all of my information: a few days ago I did a system update and shut down the computer as usual. when my wife went to sign back on the computer it wouldn't let her in. I had to reset the password and after I got signed in I realized everything has been reset. all of my documents have been lost....
  10. Windows update wiped out all of my settings.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows update wiped out all of my settings.: I've seen a few posts here about the same thing happening to others. Windows did an automatic update even after I have turned them off and it basically restored back to factory settings. The first time it happened on Saturday February 23 2019 between 9-11 PM and I had to...