Windows 10: Update/Undo changes loop while unable to use account password for system restore

Discus and support Update/Undo changes loop while unable to use account password for system restore in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a rather unique situation I’ve yet to find the answer to. When updating Windows 10 on my laptop (Dell XPS 15 9530) it enters a loop of trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlexaRivera, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Update/Undo changes loop while unable to use account password for system restore

I have a rather unique situation I’ve yet to find the answer to. When updating Windows 10 on my laptop (Dell XPS 15 9530) it enters a loop of trying to update, being unable to, and then undoing the changes. When it doesn’t do that it just keeps loading while it undoes the changes.

To fix this problem I tapped F8 to get to the recovery page. I clicked see advanced repair options > troubleshoot > advanced options > system restore to try and solve the issue.

That’s when I encountered my second problem: I could not remember my Microsoft account password since I exclusively use a login code to sign in on my laptop. I then went on my phone to reset my password and it was successful. However, when I went to use this password so I could perform a system restore it said my password was incorrect even though I’m able to use it to sign into my account on other devices.

I can only assume that my laptop is not connected to the Internet because I’ve yet to get to the main sign in page, therefore it is unable to update my password (but I could be wrong, let me know).

This is means I cannot perform anything that involves my password. No system restore, no restore to previous version, no startup repair, and no command prompt (unless there’s a way to enact it with just keys). I cannot get to the login page to access my laptop, so I cannot use the start menu or hold shift while hitting the on-screen reset icon.

I’m at a loss of what to do and would appreciate any help.

:)

AlexaRivera, Dec 5, 2018

2. undo system restore

Yes in the system restore options there will be an Undo button to go back.

1. If you boot to advanced startup options from within Windows 10, you must be signed in as an administrator to undo a system restore.

2. Click/tap on Troubleshoot.

3. Click/tap on Advanced options.

4. Click/tap on System Restore.

5. If you booted to advanced startup options from your Windows 10 installation media, click/tap on your listed Windows 10 OS, and go to step 7 below.

6. If you booted to advanced startup options from within Windows 10, click/tap on an administrator account you want to provide credentials for.

A) Enter the password for this administrator account, and click/tap on Continue.

7. Click/tap on Next.

8. Select the restore point that has Undo for its "Type", and click/tap on Next.

See if that helps.

MikeSnyder61704, Dec 5, 2018
  3. System Restore Undo

My OS is Windows 10.

I know how to so a System Restore, but cannot find a way of undoing
    it.

Can someone please provide me with step by step instructions for undoing a System Restore.

Many thanks.

AnthonyStirling, Dec 5, 2018
  4. Update/Undo changes loop while unable to use account password for system restore

account password change

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

1. Which version of Windows 10 is currently installed in your computer?

2. Are you using a Microsoft Account to log into your computer?

To open System Properties and check the version of Windows, follow the steps below:

1. Open Run Command (Windows button+R).

2. In the dialog box type control system and hit enter.

If you are using a Microsoft Account to log into your system and you are unable to change the password, then I would suggest that you sign in online and change your password. Follow the steps below to do so.

• 1. Click on the link below to open the Microsoft site, and then select
      Security & privacy.
    Create your Microsoft Account Today

• Select Change password.

• Enter your current password, then the new password you want, then enter the new password again.

• Select Save.
    Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

Update/Undo changes loop while unable to use account password for system restore

1. Update/Undo changes loop while unable to use account password for system restore - Similar Threads - Update Undo changes

2. In BSOD loop with no Microsoft password so unable restore system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In BSOD loop with no Microsoft password so unable restore system: I am in a BSOD loop 0xc000021a .When I try to 'reset this PC' I am asked for a password that I don't have or no longer remember. What's the best course of action? I am unable to enter Safe Mode F5 either as when I did I restored to an earlier point and can no longer access....
  3. In BSOD loop with no Microsoft password so unable restore system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In BSOD loop with no Microsoft password so unable restore system: I am in a BSOD loop.When I have try to 'reset this PC' I am asked for a password that I don't have or no longer remember. What's the best course of action? Help appreciated....
  4. In BSOD loop with no Microsoft password so unable restore system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In BSOD loop with no Microsoft password so unable restore system: I am in a BSOD loop.When I have try to 'reset this PC' I am asked for a password that I don't have or no longer remember. What's the best course of action? Help appreciated....
  5. Unable to complete the update undoing changes

Unable to complete the update undoing changes: All my systems in my office will not update and gives me the error undoing changes. I have tried many things on the web but to no avail.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-complete-the-update-undoing-changes/0629ff89-f37a-4ea4-be87-67cf778324c2
  6. Stuck in Couldnt Update & Undoing Changes Loop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck in Couldnt Update & Undoing Changes Loop: My laptop updated and shutdown last night, now when I try to start up it tries to update, can't, then gets stuck in an endless loop of undoing changes. I twice booted into winRe, once to Safe Mode with Networking, once just Safe Mode, both simply took me to undoing changes...
  7. Unable to complete updates. Undoing changes

Unable to complete updates. Undoing changes: My Lenovo 100s was doing windows 10 update to 1909 and is now stuck in loop saying " undoing changes made to your computer" I've tried doing manual hard reset power off and then on 3 times to access safe boot, but it does not go into safe boot mode and continues in loop....
  8. Infinite loop attempting to restore installation, undoing changes+ microsoft account...

Infinite loop attempting to restore installation, undoing changes+ microsoft account...: So i left my laptop today and when i returned it got stuck in this weird infinite restarting loop i have an hp pavilion where it quickly flashes something like "attempting to restore installation, undoing changes..." I tried to fix the issue with system recovery pressing f11...
  9. Undoing Changes Loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Undoing Changes Loop: My computer is stuck in the "undoing changes loop" and will not boot at all. Keeps trying to boot then goes in a loop back to trying to open. I have tried powering off and on three times to get to the Advanced Repair with no success. Any suggestions on on to fix this issue....
  10. Windows was unable to update undoing changes

Windows was unable to update undoing changes: Ok so I tried using my Nvidia experience to try and record my gameplay and im not sure if there was an update confliction, I went to my windows update screen and there are several updates that are not updating. When the updates finish and I restart the computer im greeted...