Windows 10: Updated to 1511: "740: The requested operation requires elevation"

Discus and support Updated to 1511: "740: The requested operation requires elevation" in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; In my normal user account (belonging to Users group) I maintain a folder with a bunch of convenient administrative shortcuts, which run certain... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by AndreyT, Nov 15, 2015.

1. AndreyT Win User

Updated to 1511: "740: The requested operation requires elevation"

In my normal user account (belonging to Users group) I maintain a folder with a bunch of convenient administrative shortcuts, which run certain applications under "Administrator" account through 'runas' utility. Each shortcut's command line looks as

Code: C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:Administrator /savecred "<command line>"[/quote] Before update to version 1511 all my shortcuts were working fine. After the update most of them suddenly stopped working. Namely, running mmc shortcuts, like

Code: C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:Administrator /savecred "mmc compmgmt.msc"[/quote] produces error "740: The requested operation requires elevation".

Control panel shortcuts like

Code: C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:Administrator /savecred "control appwiz.cpl"[/quote] generate a message box

Code: ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{7B81BE6A-CE2B-4676-A29E-EB907A5126C5} Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.[/quote]
    Some applications continue to work, some don't. SysInternal's Autoruns works fine. Far Manager doesn't suffer from it either. But CPU-Z shortcut

Code: C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:Administrator /savecred "C:\Utils\CPU-Z\cpuz_x64.exe"[/quote] also fails with "740: The requested operation requires elevation".

Is the something I can change (policy etc.) to restore the pre-1511 behavior?

:)

AndreyT, Nov 15, 2015

2. The requested operation requires elevation"

If you are trying to launch an application, right click the application then click Run as administrator.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 15, 2015
  3. "The requested operation requires elevation"

Could you confirm if this also happens in the default Administrator account?

Open Start

Type: cmd

Right click CMD

Click Run as administrator

At the command prompt, type:

net user administrator /active:yes

Hit Enter

Close command prompt, restart, then try signing into the Administrator account.

Try running the file again.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 15, 2015
  4. Tupac Win User

Hello AndreyT,

I can confirm this strange behaviour!
    If I want to start an elevated commandbox with "runas" under the local administrator, a commandbox opens, but it
    definitely does not provide administrative rights. The behaviour is the same when I use the local administrator to log on: the account does not have "real administrative" rights anymore, although everything indicates that the account is the local administrator!

The only way to start an elevated commandbox is to select the option from the start menu.
    The problem does not occur on a complete fresh installed Windows 10 1511, that's for sure.

It cannot believe it, but Microsoft is able to destroy Windows with nearly every update!
    Why for the hell does "an update" a fresh Windows install?
    Nothing else is Windows 10 1511, a fresh Windows install that transfers some data! That's useless! *Mad
    I had to reinstall for example VirtualBox and all my certificates have disappeared.
    The Windows 10 1511 "update" is similar to an upgrade from Windows 8 to 10!!!

It would be nice, if someone could offer a workaround for that strange "elevated commandline bug".

Regards,

Tupac, Nov 16, 2015
  5. AndreyT Win User
    Can't confirm. I see the same "740" behavior on a clean install of 1511.

AndreyT, Nov 17, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I don't know anything about this, but it appears to have something to do with trustlevels:

C:\>runas /showtrustlevels
    The following trust levels are available on your system:
    0x20000 (Basic User)

NavyLCDR, Nov 17, 2015
  7. Tupac Win User
    On both systems the output is the same...so that should not be the problem.

I've maybe found something: if I choose the option to start an elevated command promt from the start menu, I get (on the updated system) a link in the uac message box where I can get additional information concerning the certificate. I can imagine that this could cohere with the problem...but I cannot recognize any differences between the installed Microsoft certificates... *Huh

Updated to 1511: "740: The requested operation requires elevation" [​IMG]

Tupac, Nov 17, 2015
  8. Tupac Win User

To your information: I think, that I have determined the problem.
    You have to set the key "FilterAdministratorToken" to "0" (to find in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System").

Regards,

Tupac, Nov 21, 2015
  9. AndreyT Win User
    My machine did not have 'FilterAdministratorToken' value at that registry key. Adding it as a DWORD32 with value 0 (and rebooting) made no difference, unfortunately.

AndreyT, Nov 23, 2015
  10. AndreyT Win User
    The funny part is that 'cmd.exe' does not suffer from this problem meaning that I can successfully run it as

Code: runas.exe /user:Admin /savecred "cmd"[/quote] which in turn means that I can use

Code: runas /user:Admin /savecred "cmd /c compmgmt.msc"[/quote] as a workaround to run Computer Management applet under 'Admin' account. Or, if I don't want to see console window hanging in the background, I can do

Code: runas /user:Admin /savecred "cmd /c \"start compmgmt.msc\""[/quote] In other words, if this new, more restrictive behavior was implemented as an additional security measure, this is a rather lousy security measure, since it is so easy to circumvent.

AndreyT, Nov 23, 2015
  11. AndreyT,

experienced the same annoying 740 error after Win10 automatically updated itself to 1511, however on behalf of a pretty old Win7 related howto I was able to figure out what's going on: in this update they enabled by default Admin Approval Mode for built in Administrator. I was able to overcome it by disabling it in gpedit:

windows settings / security settings / local policies / security options / User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for built in Administrator account

good luck!

alpintrekker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Updated to 1511: "740: The requested operation requires elevation" - Similar Threads - Updated 1511 740

2. The requested operation requires elevation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The requested operation requires elevation: What happens is that I call Microsoft and they sent me to do a few steps but what it did was damage it more https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-requested-operation-requires-elevation/e93d6fba-5fd7-4b4d-a5dc-36f28bed8b5b
  3. This requested operation requires elevation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This requested operation requires elevation: I’m trying to start fallout on my Pc the Xbox version when all of a sudden it just says this requested operation requires elevate if anyone knows how to fix it lmk asap I’ve done properties and command prompts but it’s still not working so if anyone knows yk lmk...
  4. This requested operation requires elevation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This requested operation requires elevation: I’m trying to start fallout on my Pc the Xbox version when all of a sudden it just says this requested operation requires elevate if anyone knows how to fix it lmk asap I’ve done properties and command prompts but it’s still not working so if anyone knows yk lmk...
  5. THE REQUESTED OPERATION REQUIRES ELEVATION.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    THE REQUESTED OPERATION REQUIRES ELEVATION.: Hello Everyone.I have a query. When I am running any app as an administrator, it is showing the requested operation requires elevation as shown in the attachment....
  6. THE REQUESTED OPERATION REQUIRES ELEVATION.

in Windows 10 Customization
    THE REQUESTED OPERATION REQUIRES ELEVATION.: Hello Everyone.I have a query. When I am running any app as an administrator, it is showing the requested operation requires elevation as shown in the attachment....
  7. CreateProcess failed; code 740 The requested operation requires elevation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CreateProcess failed; code 740 The requested operation requires elevation.: Hello. I am writing to you today because I came across an error trying to download this addon to a game. It gave me the error code 740, and I am looking for a fix to this error. I hope you can get back to me soon thank you....
  8. "The requested operation requires elevation."

"The requested operation requires elevation.": Tried making the ASUS AURA app to open upon startup however, I get the error message: "The requested operation requires elevation". Any help is greatly appreciated....
  9. Fix The requested operation requires elevation, Error 740

in Windows 10 News
    Fix The requested operation requires elevation, Error 740: [ATTACH] If you try to run a program or open a folder or delete a file and you receive a message – Error (740), The requested operation requires elevation on your Windows 10/8/7 computer, here are some simple troubleshooting suggestions that [...] This post Fix The requested...
  10. THE REQUESTED OPERATION REQUIRES ELEVATION

THE REQUESTED OPERATION REQUIRES ELEVATION: Iam unable to run .exe files I am getting THE REQUESTED OPERATION REQUIRES ELEVATION https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-requested-operation-requires-elevation/421d26f6-05eb-4d10-9ed2-4e64a6761584

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the requested operation requires elevation savecred