Windows 10: Updated to 20H2, PC no longer booting past loading screen

Discus and support Updated to 20H2, PC no longer booting past loading screen in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Pretty much what it says on the tin. A couple of months ago I noticed an update from Microsoft, so wanting to ensure that my system was up to date, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LaurenT_896, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Updated to 20H2, PC no longer booting past loading screen

Pretty much what it says on the tin.

A couple of months ago I noticed an update from Microsoft, so wanting to ensure that my system was up to date, I performed the 20H2 update. Then I got many an error where my pc would boot to the BIOS screen, then the windows logo would appear... then nothing! Black screen, graphics card fans stop spinning and the monitor turns off due to inactivity after a while. I'd tried to uninstall the update but booting into safe mode worked so erratically that I couldn't reliably get it to boot, I tried many a time to reset the PC but despite waiting for the process to complete no more than 5 separate times I gave up on that too.

I finally took the battery out of my motherboard to reset that bad boy and even that didn't work!

What did work, seemingly, was leaving the PC off for the best part of a month as I was sick of looking at it. Upon hooking everything up and turning it on again, the system reset completed, and I was able to boot into a wonderfully reset clean PC! Hooray!

But wait... I now need to update everything once again. So I dutifully began downloading updates to bring security and patches back from my 2014 original install. The dreaded 20H2 update was installed, but I had no fear that the same thing would happen again. And you know what? It did. I'm sitting here, unable to boot my PC past the same Windows logo and it's definitely down to that update!

What should I do Microsoft?? Why has this happened, and why isn't there a patch to stop this from happening again??

:)

LaurenT_896, Dec 27, 2020
  2. Micah Bat Win User

PC won't boot after Windows loading screen!

Hi,

An Automatic Repair or Startup Repair can help you resolve your concern. This tool is used when you cannot boot your Windows properly. To run Startup Repair, you can go through
    Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Restart now (Under
    Advanced start-up
    ). However, since you cannot enter your Desktop, we suggest you to force fail your computer. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Boot your computer.
    • While on the logo screen, do a force shutdown by pressing the Start button.
    • Wait until you see "Preparing Automatic Repair" appears. If it doesn't appear, repeat the steps until it do so.
    • After the loading screen, you will have a black screen and another loading screen will appear.

By then, it will now diagnose your computer and will do an Automatic Repair.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Dec 27, 2020
  3. Micah Bat Win User
    W10 no longer boots after update

Hi,

An Automatic Repair or Startup Repair can help you resolve your concern. This tool is used when you cannot boot your Windows properly. To run Startup Repair, you can go through
    Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Restart now (Under
    Advanced start-up
    ). However, since you cannot enter your Desktop, we suggest you to force fail your computer. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Boot your computer.
    • While on the logo screen, do a force shutdown by pressing the Start button.
    • Wait until you see "Preparing Automatic Repair" appears. If it doesn't appear, repeat the steps until it do so.
    • After the loading screen, you will have a black screen and another loading screen will appear.

By then, it will now diagnose your computer and will do an Automatic Repair.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Dec 27, 2020
  4. Updated to 20H2, PC no longer booting past loading screen

Start up error: New pc wont boot past windows loading screen

*O.T.> Start up error

New pc wont boot past windows loading screen just hss windows symbol

Nich hicks, Dec 27, 2020
Thema:

Updated to 20H2, PC no longer booting past loading screen

1. Updated to 20H2, PC no longer booting past loading screen - Similar Threads - Updated 20H2 longer

2. Windows 10 update - no longer boots past Bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 update - no longer boots past Bios: Hi - my dell xps 8700 recently performed a windows 10 update. unfortunately afterwards, when the computer boots, it hangs indefinitely with the dotted circles. I've tried to repair and all the boot options including safe mode in the recovery menus but they fail to load. same...
  3. Windows 10 update - no longer boots past Bios

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 update - no longer boots past Bios: Hi - my dell xps 8700 recently performed a windows 10 update. unfortunately afterwards, when the computer boots, it hangs indefinitely with the dotted circles. I've tried to repair and all the boot options including safe mode in the recovery menus but they fail to load. same...
  4. My pc won’t boot past loading dots after update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My pc won’t boot past loading dots after update.: So after nagging me for a couple days I decided to do a windows update, and after my pc would just freeze at the loading dots even during automatic repair.After a while of fiddling in the BIOS I was able to boot by turning down the MHz on my ram but the next morning it was...
  5. My pc won’t boot past loading dots after update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc won’t boot past loading dots after update.: So after nagging me for a couple days I decided to do a windows update, and after my pc would just freeze at the loading dots even during automatic repair.After a while of fiddling in the BIOS I was able to boot by turning down the MHz on my ram but the next morning it was...
  6. My pc won’t boot past loading dots after update.

7. Updated to 21H1, PC no longer starts beyond loading screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updated to 21H1, PC no longer starts beyond loading screen: I noticed an update from Microsoft a couple of days ago, so to make sure my system was up to date, I ran update 21H1. Then I got a lot of errors where my PC would boot to the BIOS screen, then the Windows logo would appear, and then nothing! Black screen. Tried uninstalling...
  8. Updated to 21H1, PC no longer starts beyond loading screen

Updated to 21H1, PC no longer starts beyond loading screen: I noticed an update from Microsoft a couple of days ago, so to make sure my system was up to date, I ran update 21H1. Then I got a lot of errors where my PC would boot to the BIOS screen, then the Windows logo would appear, and then nothing! Black screen. Tried uninstalling...
  9. Updated to 21H1, PC no longer starts beyond loading screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. On boot gets past windows loading then black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    On boot gets past windows loading then black screen: Hello I have got a Dell Latitude E6420 that after it gets past the Windows 10 loading screen after being turned on the screen goes black (backlight is on though). If you plug in an external screen you can see the desktop with no issues. I have tried updating the graphic...