Windows 10: Updated to version 2004, still having loads of stuttering problems in games with multi monitor

Discus and support Updated to version 2004, still having loads of stuttering problems in games with multi monitor in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Decided to finally give the update to 2004 a go in hopes of fixing this issue that popped up once I got a second monitor which is games not being at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Astherisk1, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Updated to version 2004, still having loads of stuttering problems in games with multi monitor

Decided to finally give the update to 2004 a go in hopes of fixing this issue that popped up once I got a second monitor which is games not being at all smooth and having mini stutters constantly.
    My main monitor is 3440x1440 100hz GSync 34¨ and the 2nd monitor is 2560x1440 75hz FreeSync 27¨.
    The thing is, even if I run my main and 2nd monitor both at 60hz, I still have these issues. (It also feels like my system has been bugged somehow ever since I added that monitor. Even if I unplug it my games have some stuttering/fail to run at my capped framerate.)

If I run the game in fullscreen, it makes the problem better, but its still there. If I have twitch open on my 2nd monitor, it gets a lot worse, especially in borderless fullscreen. At a loss of what I should do to get a smooth framerate at this point. Ive tried turning off vsync globally and messing around with display scaling, as well as plugging my monitor into iGPU. Worth noting Im running SLI, which shouldnt be a problem but who knows. (both monitors plugged into same GPU, main DP and 2nd HDMI. For some reason I dont get any image if I plug the 2nd monitor using the other DP port.)

Anything else I can try? Thanks!

submitted by /u/Astherisk1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Astherisk1, Oct 6, 2020
  2. JaredJam Win User

Please fix multi-monitor stutter in Windows 10

Presently, in Windows 10 if you're running a multi-monitor setup and the monitors are not running at a multiple of or equal refresh rate the Desktop Windows Manager running behind the Explorer process causes stutter either in web video/apps (YouTube, Twitch,
    Sling TV) and in games running Windowed Borderless or Windowed.

You can set a game to run Fullscreen but the stutter will still occur on the secondary monitor.

The fix: Turn my 165hz main monitor down to 120hz so it's running at a multiple of the secondary 60hz monitor.

The real fix: Revert to Windows 7 and disable Aero so you can run your hardware as it is intended to run.

The developers of Windows 10 need to do a better job of multi-monitor management. I didn't even touch the scaling incompatibilities with DPI changes if you're not running a program built on UWP - which maybe by the EoL of 2020 for Windows 7 MIGHT become
    standard.

JaredJam, Oct 6, 2020
  3. havco Win User
    heavy stutter overall when loading into games

Hi there.

Ever since the latest build update, I get pretty strong stuttering when loading into games such as WoW and CS:GO (when the maps are being loaded). I notice that because I always have something running on my 2nd monitor, a stream for instance. It pretty much
    always happens when there's some kind of loading screen.

There's also a little bit of a sound crackling at the very beginning whenever I start a game. Also new since the last update.

Any suggestions?

my specs:

i5 4690k

gtx 970

16 gigs RAM

havco, Oct 6, 2020
  4. Updated to version 2004, still having loads of stuttering problems in games with multi monitor

High end build, stuttering in every game

Hello, this is my build:

• i5-6600k
    • ASUS MAXIMUS RANGER VIII
    • MSI GTX 1060 6G
    • Samsung SSD 850 evo 250gb
    • WD Caviar Blue 1TB
    • G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 DDR4 (XMP profile)
    • Dual monitor: Zowie XL2411 144hz + BenQ GW2260 60Hz
    I get stuttering in the following titles:

• Rocket League: every time a new player join a match the game freeze, also when V-Sync is on I get random lag from 144 to 130 and then the game continue to run smoothly.
    • GTA V: random stuttering Online and fps drops, V-Sync on.
    • PUBG: random stuttering, V-Sync off.
    • Rust: stuttering when loading chunks with fps drops.
    • Ark: as Rust.
    • Total War Warhammer: random stuttering in the strategic map, V-Sync on.
    What I've done till now:

• Tried every graphic settings.
    • All kind of Windows 10 optimizations like Performance mode, Xbox game mode off, disabled unnecessary services and tasks, no antivirus (Windows Defender on only).
    • Hard drive defragmentation.
    • Nvidia control panel optimizations for every game like Thread optimization, tried several v-sync modes, etc.
    • All drivers are updated.
    • No pending Windows updates.
    • Temps are fine, GPU and CPU never go above 65C.
    • Shadowplay overlay off.
    • Playing with one monitor at once.
    • Moved games from HDD to SSD.
    • Tried different version of GPU drivers.
    • Disabled the page on the HDD and fixed its size on the SSD with the reccommended value.
    • Memtest for both RAM stick at once (8 pass each no errors).
    What I've not tried yet is to reinstall the OS... benchmarks and performance in game are ok and in line with every other user... do you have any suggestions? Could it be network related? How can I analyze the stuttering?

PS: I'm testing with Latencymon and doing some screenshot of gpu and cpu usage

djanthony93, Oct 6, 2020
Thema:

Updated to version 2004, still having loads of stuttering problems in games with multi monitor

1. Updated to version 2004, still having loads of stuttering problems in games with multi monitor - Similar Threads - Updated version 2004

2. Multi Monitor Wallpaper Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multi Monitor Wallpaper Problem: so i try to right click to set a certain image to a certain monitor but on shows monitor 2 . if i change a setting in windows for display then it will show option for monitor one and monitor 2...
  3. windows 20h2 game stuttering still version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 20h2 game stuttering still version: Hello, i tried installing the feature update 20h2, a few months back, only to discover it caused massive performance issues with any game i tried to open so i had to roll back to version 1909 as i was never prompted to allow 2004 to install. yesterday i was forced to update...
  4. Having problems with the multi monitor stuttering issue, would an update to Win 10 2004 be...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Having problems with the multi monitor stuttering issue, would an update to Win 10 2004 be...: I've recently gotten a 2nd monitor. My main monitor is 3440x1440 34¨ 100hz w/ GSync, the 2nd monitor is 2560x1440 27¨ 75hz w/ FreeSync. I'd read about this problem before I bought the second monitor but had asked people that said they had no issues. Here's a detailed post...
  5. version 2004 update problem

version 2004 update problem: I have tried to install version 2004 of Windows 10 on an ACER laptop several times. the installation goes well until it is about 90% complete. Then the laptop hangs, no error message, just hangs. Have to do a hard power shutdown hold power button for several seconds. Laptop...
  6. Problem with update to version 2004

Problem with update to version 2004: When my computer is trying to update, I get roaring fans and beeps that are repeating over and overagain until I press the power button.Any help is highly appreciated...
  7. Version 2004 update problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Version 2004 update problem: I have successfully updated a laptop and a desktop from version 1909 to version 2004 with very little difficulty. A second laptop, not so much. When I tried about two months ago it took forever to go through the steps to no avail and no update. I left it alone until recently...
  8. Having problem update to Windows 10, version 2004

Having problem update to Windows 10, version 2004: Dear Microsoft Support Team, Please find attached for your kind attention. What may have cause the problem? Is there any information detail in the Windows Setting that may have accidentally check or uncheck? Is there any application that may interfered with the...
  9. games stutter after version 2004 with dvr recording.

games stutter after version 2004 with dvr recording.: Disabling xbox game recording fixes but I'd like to use game recording. does anyone know is there fix? OS builg: 190441.329 I think stuttering started after the latest cumulative update. I didn't have any problem after upgrading to 2004. I think. But definitely started...
  10. [Bug] Version 2004 did *not* fix game stuttering with multi monitors at different refresh rates

[Bug] Version 2004 did *not* fix game stuttering with multi monitors at different refresh rates: Relevant thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f57tk4/dwm_multiple_monitors_with_different_refresh_rate/ I had to retype this from memory since v2004 also Bluescreened me before I could post, so that's a new thing too. I sought out the v2004 insider...