Windows 10: Updated to Windows 10, "lost" files found, now gone for good

Discus and support Updated to Windows 10, "lost" files found, now gone for good in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I updated to Windows 10 earlier today. I thought I had lost some important work files and some pics of my kiddo from the last 3 months. Found them by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by cincodemaya, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Updated to Windows 10, "lost" files found, now gone for good

I updated to Windows 10 earlier today. I thought I had lost some important work files and some pics of my kiddo from the last 3 months. Found them by looking in the network folder. Copied them to the desktop to remind myself to send a copy to my external hard drive when I got home. Laptop restarted and when it came back on the files were gone. I could search for them and find them but they wouldn't open. In desperation I restored back to Windows 8 in the hopes that they would be found but they are nowhere to be seen. Don't even show up in a search. System restore shows no prior restoration points.
    Please, can anyone help me? I have about 70 hours worth of work done that needs done by the end of the calendar year, work that I will have to make up on my own time and not get paid for if I can't find these files. I also have the last 3 months worth of pictures of my daughter on there, her birthday trip to the zoo, visit with my sister, things I want to put in her scrapbook. Please tell me there's a way to find these things!

I don't know a ton about computers but I will answer any questions to the best of my ability

:)

cincodemaya, Nov 29, 2015

2. " NOKIA X2 " How to Hide Files (Photos/Videos) from Gallery view..??

hi .. i hav found one trick by which we can hide all photos and videos/mp3 from gallery.

m using this ith my nokia c3 . very nice privacy trick.

Best Way To Hide Files Folders in Nokia s40 Symbian OS

rockpop989, Nov 29, 2015
  3. " NOKIA X2 " How to Hide Files (Photos/Videos) from Gallery view..??

S40 WHAT AN OUTDATED VERSION OF SOFTWARE NOKIA X2 IS HAVING...Updated to Windows 10, "lost" files found, now gone for good :(

VERY VERY DISAPOINTED Updated to Windows 10, "lost" files found, now gone for good :(

sharanukumar, Nov 29, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Updated to Windows 10, "lost" files found, now gone for good

Hi, how did you restore back to Win 8? - in the expected manner using the revert to previous OS within 30days?

Problem is if your files were deleted at some stage, the disk clusters holding them may well have been overwritten by all the disk activity.

To have any chance of recovering any of them, you needed to make sure there was as little or no disk write activity as possible.

First, if the files still exist and have not been deleted, without worrying exactly where they are, get a copy of locate32 (small. free)
    Locate32 Download
    on a USB flash drive in this case.

Use it to create a database- it will scan your entire disk drive- then search for one of your files.
    The search takes a second or less.

If your files exist and have not been deleted, you will find them quickly.

If your files have been deleted, it's a question of probability as to whether they have been overwritten or not.
    Recuva (free) is good... there are many commercial ones too.
    You will need to run a scan - which will take a long time- and then you need to see if your files appear in the list.

I guess you never backed the files up or used disk imaging (which creates a complete backup from which you can completely recover your PC or extract files and is VERY strongly recommended to be use regularly. - Macrium Reflect, Aomei Backupper (both free). These are things to use in the future.

dalchina, Nov 29, 2015
Thema:

Updated to Windows 10, "lost" files found, now gone for good

1. Updated to Windows 10, "lost" files found, now gone for good - Similar Threads - Updated lost files

2. Windows 10 Update - Office is Gone, Files are Gone, Taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Update - Office is Gone, Files are Gone, Taskbar not working: I opened my laptop the other day and it kept freezing and then wanted to update. I did the update and left it. When I went to log in a couple days ago it said the account had signed out if I remember correctly and did I want to continue. I logged into the laptop with the...
  3. Windows 10 Update - Office is Gone, Files are Gone, Taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Update - Office is Gone, Files are Gone, Taskbar not working: I opened my laptop the other day and it kept freezing and then wanted to update. I did the update and left it. When I went to log in a couple days ago it said the account had signed out if I remember correctly and did I want to continue. I logged into the laptop with the...
  4. Windows 10 Update - Office is Gone, Files are Gone, Taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows did an automatic update and now all of my files are gone.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows did an automatic update and now all of my files are gone.: Running windows 11 on a Dell, it does nightly updates and restarts, this time it deleted all of my files and most of them are for school. I need it back immediately, it was just fine the other day....
  6. Windows did an automatic update and now all of my files are gone.

Windows did an automatic update and now all of my files are gone.: Running windows 11 on a Dell, it does nightly updates and restarts, this time it deleted all of my files and most of them are for school. I need it back immediately, it was just fine the other day....
  7. Windows Defender found a virus, but the affected file is gone

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender found a virus, but the affected file is gone: I recently ran a full scan and my antivirus found a virus called Obfuscator.XZ, and I wanted to put it in quarantine. The problem is that I could not, because I panicked and removed several files, one of them being the origin file of the malware., so I cannot remove it...
  8. Windows 10 Update Files Gone!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update Files Gone!: My Windows 10 HP undated a few days ago and it appeared I lost everything, not even my background was the same. I luckily did find all of my old files under "Windows C:" and I think some were in "One Drive" I copied them to my current documents because I read they would be...
  9. Windows 10 Updated and now my calendar is gone,

Windows 10 Updated and now my calendar is gone,: I went to pinned icons to update my calendar and it is gone. How do I get it back? I have searched the services, etc and cannot find it. It did not sink with my phone either. So I lost appts. I do not want the one in Outlook. I am talking about the one that was in...
  10. Lost and Found?

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost and Found?: Greetings! I just got myself a Surface Book with Performance Base and while setting it up I was reminded about the case of an acquaintance who lost ( forgot ) her MacBook on the bus station when she ran for it. The way Isee it any potential finder of a Surface device...