Windows 10: Updated to Windows 10, v2004 - Right clicking freezes window

Discus and support Updated to Windows 10, v2004 - Right clicking freezes window in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As the title says, I just updated to win 10 ver 2004 (from 1909) and this problem renders my PC practically unusable. When I right click on a folder or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kousian, Jul 29, 2020.

1. kousian Win User

Updated to Windows 10, v2004 - Right clicking freezes window

As the title says, I just updated to win 10 ver 2004 (from 1909) and this problem renders my PC practically unusable.
    When I right click on a folder or file, the respective window freezes (and no context menu appears). I can still open other programs but, from the moment this happens I cannot even left click on any file or program even in another window, without the window freezing. If I reboot, I can now left click, but at the moment I right click, the problem appears again.

These are the things I tried (following, among others, some answers I found in tenforums):
    - running Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
    - running SFC /SCANNOW c:
    - disabling all services: System Configuration -> Services -> disable all (having hiden all Microsoft services)
    - disabling all startup items: Task Manager -> Startup -> [I disabled everything]
    - disabling all non-Microsoft context menu items using ShellExView
    I did all the above and rebooted but the problem remains

Only booting to safe mode seems to work....

Can anyone offer some insight?

:)

kousian, Jul 29, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 29, 2020
  3. RCoon Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

How to stop Windows 10 from automatically installing new and updated drivers constantly (particularly for GPU users with stable drivers)

• Right click "My Computer"
    • Click "Properties"
    • Click on "Hardware" tab
    • Click "Device Installation Settings"
    • Tick the "No, let me choose what to do"
    • Tick "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

RCoon, Jul 29, 2020
  4. m4gicfour Win User

Windows 10 forced download

^This, then reboot and go to manually update windows. Find KB3035583 in the list of available updates, right-click and "Hide this update" so it doesn't get installed again next go around.

m4gicfour, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Updated to Windows 10, v2004 - Right clicking freezes window - Similar Threads - Updated v2004 Right

2. Windows 11 Folder: Right click freeze

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Folder: Right click freeze: This happened all the time, When I'm in a folder, or when I right-click a folder on the desktop, The mouse will turn into that Loading circle and loading forever, If i restart windows explorer via task manager, then i will not even be able to left click to open any folder,...
  3. Windows 11 Folder: Right click freeze

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Folder: Right click freeze: This happened all the time, When I'm in a folder, or when I right-click a folder on the desktop, The mouse will turn into that Loading circle and loading forever, If i restart windows explorer via task manager, then i will not even be able to left click to open any folder,...
  4. Right clicking on an application freezes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right clicking on an application freezes: When I try to right click an application on the desktop OR in the file explorer, the loading circle appears and stays like that until I restart my computer or the explorer. If it's in the file explorer, it just freezes with the circle and I have to close it from the taskbar...
  5. Windows 10 v2004 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 v2004 Update: Howdy, I have a Lenovo E560 laptop with an i7-6500 with 16GB RAM and an AMD Radeon R7 M370 graphics card latest update installed running Windows 10 Pro v 1909. I have updated Windows every day forever BUT v 2004 is STILL NOT available; says when my device is ready it will...
  6. Update Windows 10 V2004 - Issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Update Windows 10 V2004 - Issues: The Windows 10 V2004 recently installed and I have been fighting numerous issues with EMail hanging looks like downloading Pics HTML, Quickbooks extremely slow/ hanging up. One Drive not connecting. I have to think they are all interrelated to some back ground issue. Any...
  7. Windows v2004 Update

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows v2004 Update: I cannot log into Windows after the update. Whether I try my PIN or Mi rosoft password, I get "User Profile Service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded." Furthermore, holding down shift key and restarting does not give a screen to choose safe mode to start. It...
  8. Windows 10 v2004 Freezes Randomly and BSODs

Windows 10 v2004 Freezes Randomly and BSODs: I have a system with the following specs: R7 3700X no overclock 2x 16G RAM 3600 MHz CL16 Gigabyte X470 Ultra Gaming MoBo running latest BIOS, F50 MSI RTX 2070 Super Ventus OC GPU no overclock powered by a 700W Titanium PSU. I have Windows Virtual Machine Platform...
  9. Windows 10 Freezing Taskbar, Right-Clicking A Window Fixes It.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Freezing Taskbar, Right-Clicking A Window Fixes It.: As title says, Windows 10 is randomly freezing. This affects the taskbar, and some programs such as Chrome. Simply right-clicking on an open program seems to fix the issue, but even CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing. Obviously this is unintended, and i have found a temporary...
  10. Windows 10 1809 Freezing when right click "New"

Windows 10 1809 Freezing when right click "New": Having an issues for sometime now where I can't right click and click "New", I used shell explore to disable all Non MS extensions and it is better where sometimes I can click new and it will work but always will fail on the first try. I see others reporting this issue and...