Windows 10: Updated to Windows 10, v2004 - Right clicking freezes window

Discus and support Updated to Windows 10, v2004 - Right clicking freezes window in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As the title says, I just updated to win 10 ver 2004 (from 1909) and this problem renders my PC practically unusable. When I right click on a folder or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kousian, Jul 29, 2020.

1. kousian Win User

Updated to Windows 10, v2004 - Right clicking freezes window

As the title says, I just updated to win 10 ver 2004 (from 1909) and this problem renders my PC practically unusable.
    When I right click on a folder or file, the respective window freezes (and no context menu appears). I can still open other programs but, from the moment this happens I cannot even left click on any file or program even in another window, without the window freezing. If I reboot, I can now left click, but at the moment I right click, the problem appears again.

These are the things I tried (following, among others, some answers I found in tenforums):
    - running Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
    - running SFC /SCANNOW c:
    - disabling all services: System Configuration -> Services -> disable all (having hiden all Microsoft services)
    - disabling all startup items: Task Manager -> Startup -> [I disabled everything]
    - disabling all non-Microsoft context menu items using ShellExView
    I did all the above and rebooted but the problem remains

Only booting to safe mode seems to work....

Can anyone offer some insight?

:)

kousian, Jul 29, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 29, 2020
  3. RCoon Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

How to stop Windows 10 from automatically installing new and updated drivers constantly (particularly for GPU users with stable drivers)

• Right click "My Computer"
    • Click "Properties"
    • Click on "Hardware" tab
    • Click "Device Installation Settings"
    • Tick the "No, let me choose what to do"
    • Tick "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

RCoon, Jul 29, 2020
  4. m4gicfour Win User

Windows 10 forced download

^This, then reboot and go to manually update windows. Find KB3035583 in the list of available updates, right-click and "Hide this update" so it doesn't get installed again next go around.

m4gicfour, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Updated to Windows 10, v2004 - Right clicking freezes window - Similar Threads - Updated v2004 Right

2. Windows 10 v2004 Freezes Randomly and BSODs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 v2004 Freezes Randomly and BSODs: I have a system with the following specs: R7 3700X no overclock 2x 16G RAM 3600 MHz CL16 Gigabyte X470 Ultra Gaming MoBo running latest BIOS, F50 MSI RTX 2070 Super Ventus OC GPU no overclock powered by a 700W Titanium PSU. I have Windows Virtual Machine Platform...
  3. Windows Explorer freezes when right-click on folder or shortcut

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer freezes when right-click on folder or shortcut: Hello! Sorry if this has been asked before please point to appropriate thread. I have recently upgraded Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from v1809 to v1903, although I think my problem has nothing to do with the upgrade which was completed successfully. I noticed that when I...
  4. Windows 10 Freezing Taskbar, Right-Clicking A Window Fixes It.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Freezing Taskbar, Right-Clicking A Window Fixes It.: As title says, Windows 10 is randomly freezing. This affects the taskbar, and some programs such as Chrome. Simply right-clicking on an open program seems to fix the issue, but even CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing. Obviously this is unintended, and i have found a temporary...
  5. Right Click New Context Freeze

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Click New Context Freeze: Hello, I'm still having problems with my context menu when I right click on the desktop and go to "New" It freezes before showing any options. I have uninstalled programs that had placed items in the new context menu so at this moment I only have the default things, but it's...
  6. Windows 10 1809 Freezing when right click "New"

Windows 10 1809 Freezing when right click "New": Having an issues for sometime now where I can't right click and click "New", I used shell explore to disable all Non MS extensions and it is better where sometimes I can click new and it will work but always will fail on the first try. I see others reporting this issue and...
  7. Right Click "New" freezes system.

Right Click "New" freezes system.: Recently I am facing this issue. whenever I click right click and select new, the menu box or 'context menu' freezes along with the file explorer. It does not happen with other items such as sort by or view by options in the context menu. It only occurs when I click new. It...
  8. Mouse does spontaneous right click and left click freezes until right click is used...?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse does spontaneous right click and left click freezes until right click is used...?: My mouse has a spontaneous right click occur and simultaneously the left click doesn't work until I right click on some part of the page I'm on. Windows 10 OS and Edge browser. I have tried different mouses, cleaned their buttons etc. and uninstalled the mouse drivers and...
  9. Unable to right click in windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to right click in windows 10: I have found that windows 10 freezes up when attempting to right click on a file. Example of this is when I right click on a photo folder to rename them. I get the circle and it then goes to not responding. then I have to force quit/*cry*Mad Anyone have this issue or a...
  10. Computer Freezes when right click in Playback devices Window

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Freezes when right click in Playback devices Window: (The window freezes, not the computer) Window Freezes when right click in Playback/Recording Devices window page, can be targeting any device or none. Windows 10 Pro. Example: Screenshot - ba6e806a3ee696e06f811d4dbc388e72 - Gyazo Its frozen after i right clicked...