Windows 10: Updated to Windows 1903 and have lost some folders and files

Discus and support Updated to Windows 1903 and have lost some folders and files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Guys, My machine updated without my permission to windows 1903 this morning I tried to undo this by reverting back to previous but I was told... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by metamorph, May 10, 2020.

1. metamorph Win User

Updated to Windows 1903 and have lost some folders and files

Hi Guys, My machine updated without my permission to windows 1903 this morning I tried to undo this by reverting back to previous but I was told because its more than 10 days I cant. Mad as it was only 5 min (it was disabled)

Anyway I got the new blue screen and taskbar with nothing on it (none of my previous icons). I had 5 folders on my desktop with various files and folders etc. They were missing. So I went to filemanager - users,then profile and in a temp folder I found the 5 folders. I moved these back to the desktop. (new desktop with light blue screen)

I rebooted and the computer booted in to my old desktop with my wallpaper with the taskbar with all my old icons etc, but the 5 FOLDERS that I had moved were missing.

I cant find them anywhere and they have all my work etc.

I am angry and feeling that I have lost all my important work

Would appreciate any help

David

:)

metamorph, May 10, 2020
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Lost folders on Update

Hi,

There are ways to recover some missing files on Windows 10. For us to help you recover them, we'd like to ask a few things. Kindly answer the following:

• Are you using an Administator account to search for the missing folders/files?
    • Are you able to find the missing files/folders using Search?
    • What specific files/folders are missing?

Meanwhile, as an initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you check this
    article
    and follow the troubleshooting steps given.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Xylee Del, May 10, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, May 10, 2020
  4. Updated to Windows 1903 and have lost some folders and files

Files lost after Automatic Repair

Hi,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to refer the link provided below and check if it helps.

The files & folders from the previous operating system after the upgrade to Windows 10 might have been saved in the
    windows.old folder. Check if the lost files and folders are present in
    windows.old folder by following the steps below:

Step 1: Using Cortana

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard and type
      windows.old in the search box.

• Select the search result which shows folder and drive location of the program.

• Follow the file/folder path to check the contents of the same.

Step 2: Using Windows explorer

• Press Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard to open Windows Explorer.

• Click on This PC option from the left side panel of the window.

• Type windows.old in the Search This PC
      box located at the top right corner of the window.

• Follow the file/folder path to check the contents of the same.

Refer to the link below on Find lost files after the update to Windows 10 and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/find-lost-files-after-the-update-to-windows-10

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 10, 2020
Thema:

Updated to Windows 1903 and have lost some folders and files

1. Updated to Windows 1903 and have lost some folders and files - Similar Threads - Updated 1903 lost

2. Lost folder/file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost folder/file: When I do a search I see that my file is in a folder called .Trash in icloud but I cannot find any .Trash file and I get an error message. I spoke to Apple support but they said ask Microsoft! My Dell PC has Win10 Pro 22H2Basically I keep my current documents in a folder...
  3. Lost files and folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost files and folders: Hello,I have a personal work email on my computer and then we added the same work email to a onedrive work account. We went to delete the personal onedrive and I lost all my files that were in it and they are no where to be found. They are not in the recycle bin anywhere. I...
  4. Lost Files / Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost Files / Folders: When I open my computer this morning, I've noticed that my desktop was new without my Files and Folders in the desktop so I'm thinking because of the update. So, I've looked on my files in other folder and cut and paste in the current desktop but after couple of minutes, my...
  5. Update/Lost folders and files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update/Lost folders and files: Hello all, I have an unfortunate situation that has come up. I tend to leave my windows 10 laptop turned on most of the time and occasionally will come back to it and see it has restarted. Typically this means there was an update during the night (have them set for something...
  6. I have lost access to some folders after an update

I have lost access to some folders after an update: I received an update to my system this morning. Win10. I have a home grown application for my home business that requires access to the WindowsApps folder and below. Speciall in the Linux subsystem. I no longer have access and my biz is dead in the water. I need help....
  7. Windows 10 Update version 1903 lost files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update version 1903 lost files: I did a Windows update and when I got back to my computer, I could initially not sign in with my regular pin. After restarting, I was able to log in. I noticed that my files were missing and a search on the internet showed where to find it in the c:/user folder. I then copied...
  8. Lost Folders and Files After Windows Update

Lost Folders and Files After Windows Update: I have just discovered some missing files and folders. Some of these are complex spreadsheets that took weeks to create. This happened recently after Windows updated my computer. HELP PLEASE!...
  9. 1903 update lost sound

1903 update lost sound: After Win 10 uptade to 1903, I lost the sound of the PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/1903-update-lost-sound/4780b6ed-9e37-4cff-89cc-bd956bba0910
  10. Some file and folder in Data: D lost

Some file and folder in Data: D lost: Some files and folder in my Driver (D) are lost after i turn off my laptop, this never happen before is there any way i can recover it? Windows version 10...