Windows 10: Updated W10 last night, now when I click the Windows button both the start menu, and the...

Discus and support Updated W10 last night, now when I click the Windows button both the start menu, and the... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I updated to Windows 10 build 2020.11.21.16901359 last night. Now when I click on the Windows button, or press the Windows key on my keyboard, both the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/tahu157, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Updated W10 last night, now when I click the Windows button both the start menu, and the...

I updated to Windows 10 build 2020.11.21.16901359 last night. Now when I click on the Windows button, or press the Windows key on my keyboard, both the start menu, and the search menu open at the same time. The search menu is always on top of the start menu. See picture:

https://i.imgur.com/NKKZt2t.png

I have tried restarting my computer and the problem persists. Not sure what else to try. There's no way to close just one of the menus that I can see. Is anyone else experiencing this?

submitted by /u/tahu157
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/tahu157, Nov 24, 2020
  2. jbailey8 Win User

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Nov 24, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Nov 24, 2020
  4. David Haz Win User

Updated W10 last night, now when I click the Windows button both the start menu, and the...

Start menu

Hello Elliot,

May we know if you have made any software changes prior to the Start menu not opening?

We suggest that you check any updates for you device, you may follow the steps below on how to check for updates without using the Start menu:

• Press the Windows button + R, type
      ms-setting:
      , and then select OK. This opens Settings.
    • In Settings, choose Update & security >
      Windows Update
      , and then select Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.

We look forward for an update from you.

Regards.

David Haz, Nov 24, 2020
Thema:

Updated W10 last night, now when I click the Windows button both the start menu, and the...

1. Updated W10 last night, now when I click the Windows button both the start menu, and the... - Similar Threads - Updated W10 last

2. Why my Start menu and search menu are stacked when I clicked the Windows button?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my Start menu and search menu are stacked when I clicked the Windows button?: I can't see my downloaded apps on the start menu because the search menu covered it. I tried to restart it, but it wasn't fixed. Please help me if you know the solution. I don't know why I can't send the screenshot here; it always gets an error....
  3. Why my Start menu and search menu are stacked when I clicked the Windows button?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why my Start menu and search menu are stacked when I clicked the Windows button?: I can't see my downloaded apps on the start menu because the search menu covered it. I tried to restart it, but it wasn't fixed. Please help me if you know the solution. I don't know why I can't send the screenshot here; it always gets an error....
  4. Why my Start menu and search menu are stacked when I clicked the Windows button?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows update last night

Windows update last night: Just checkexc what was new after the update applied last night and can't find anything about Microsoft overwriting my personalisations. For instance you have removed my wallpaper and replaced it with a black screen and have changed my screensaver from "Windows 10 is ****" to...
  6. Did Windows update last night now no network or desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Did Windows update last night now no network or desktop: Hi, I have an HP with Windows 7 updated to Windows 10. All has been fine with the computer until i finally did Windows Update last night. That took so long I kept computer and went to bed. This morning I wake up to a computer not opening showing the picture below....
  7. start button right click menu

start button right click menu: when I right click on the start button, nothing happens, no menu. Also, when I start windows, I get this error: This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows". The two things happened about the same time, not sure if...
  8. Windows update last night - laptop not working now

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows update last night - laptop not working now: Hi.. So, my lenovo Z51 was working perfectly, however last night Windows updated and today.. It's not working. When I turn on the laptop the first error pops up just before I type in my login details. Ctfmon.exe - sucess Unknown hard error I then click OK and it says...
  9. Mouse scroll button opens Windows Start menu when clicked

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse scroll button opens Windows Start menu when clicked: I understand that this is some sort of a hotkey which opens up the start menu but I would like to disable it. I've tried to go into control panel, mouse settings, wheel, etc, and after poking around everywhere in the settings I wasn't able to find the settings that...
  10. Start Menu button right click menu fails

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu button right click menu fails: I have just upgraded to Win10 and most items on the "Power User Command Menu" do not work if the menu is accessed by right-clicking the Start Menu button on the Task Bar. The only items that do work are Search, Run, Shut down and Desktop. If the menu is accessed by the other...