Windows 10: Updated windows 10. Asks for pin, I don't have one, and it always says unable to reset

Discus and support Updated windows 10. Asks for pin, I don't have one, and it always says unable to reset in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have updated windows 10 last night. I finished updating this morning and as I go to log on it asks for a pin. I don't have a pin. I go through the... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Black-IceKB, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Updated windows 10. Asks for pin, I don't have one, and it always says unable to reset

I have updated windows 10 last night. I finished updating this morning and as I go to log on it asks for a pin. I don't have a pin. I go through the reset option after putting in the verification code it just... says unable to connect. See attached picture for exact message after pressing Continue. Skipping returns to enter pin. Retry brings up same message. It is not a connection issue.

Wth do i do. I'm locked out : Updated windows 10. Asks for pin, I don't have one, and it always says unable to reset 31d7df03-1991-4047-8763-929664de9ff9?upload=true.jpg

:)

Black-IceKB, Feb 22, 2021

2. Can't add or reset Windows 10 sign in Pin

Hi,

For us to narrow down your concern with adding or resetting Windows 10 PIN, we would like to know the following:

• Are you using an administrator access?
    • When you say "no change, no remove, no reset in Windows 10 PIN settings", is it greyed out or the option missing (a screenshot is much appreciated)?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • Can you tell us what troubleshooting steps have you done so far to resolve this?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Feb 22, 2021
  3. Mithin_EJ Win User
    Can't reset my PIN

Hi SQxAe,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Were there any changes made to the operating system recently?
    2. Is the system connected with Wired or wireless connection?

If you are using wireless connection, I suggest you to plug in to the Ethernet cable and try entering the password. I also suggest you to change the Microsoft password by login to
    login.live.com from other device. Try entering the password through
    on-screen keyboard.

I also suggest you to enable build-in admin account using command prompt from WinRE, follow the below steps, and check if that helps.

Step: Enable built-in admin from WinRE.

1. On the login screen click on the power button at the bottom right corner of the screen.
    2. Hold Shift key and click on restart.
    3. Click on Troubleshoot.
    4. Click on Advanced options.
    5. Click on Command Prompt.
    6. Type the command net user administrator /active:yes and press Enter key.
    7. Once logged in to the built in admin account, try changing the current user account password.

If you are unable to change the password for the account, I suggest you to create a new user account. Follow the steps from the article to create a new user account

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

I also suggest you to refer this article on
    PIN sign-in issues
    , and check if that helps.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Mithin_EJ, Feb 22, 2021
  4. Updated windows 10. Asks for pin, I don't have one, and it always says unable to reset

Cannot add pin after update - asks for old pin

Hi Ken,

I am not trying to reset my PIN. I am trying to switch back to using my PIN instead of my password for login. But I cannot do so because there seems to be a bug in my setting which I have detailed in my original post.

My settings are saying I don't currently have a PIN, but when I try to add a PIN, it asks me to enter my existing PIN. Entering either a correct or incorrect PIN does nothing so I am unable to do anything. Attempting to reset the PIN just displays a prompt to reset the PIN in the sign in options, which only shows the "add" button...

Out of the two options given in the linked tutorial, I cannot apply the first because of the problem described above, and I cannot apply the second as the login is currently set to password and not pin, and as such, I have no option to reset the PIN there.

Danni111111, Feb 22, 2021
Thema:

Updated windows 10. Asks for pin, I don't have one, and it always says unable to reset

1. Updated windows 10. Asks for pin, I don't have one, and it always says unable to reset - Similar Threads - Updated Asks pin

2. Sign in asking for a PIN when I don't have one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sign in asking for a PIN when I don't have one: I changed some settings in my BIOS, namely fast boot and NVMe Raid Mode and disable block sid, and everything would be fine if not for the fact, that the gmail which is assigned to my account has a typo so that won't help and when I tried the option contact Microsoft they...
  3. Sign in asking for a PIN when I don't have one

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Sign in asking for a PIN when I don't have one: When I try sign to sign into Microsoft store, I login, put in my password, it then asks me to put in a PIN, although I have never set one up before.When I googled it, I found this "How do I find my Windows pin?To change your PIN in Windows 10, you may follow the steps...
  4. Sign in asking for a PIN when I don't have one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign in asking for a PIN when I don't have one: When I try sign to sign into Microsoft store, I login, put in my password, it then asks me to put in a PIN, although I have never set one up before.When I googled it, I found this "How do I find my Windows pin?To change your PIN in Windows 10, you may follow the steps...
  5. Sign in asking for a PIN when I don't have one

6. laptop asking for PIN but don't have one

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    laptop asking for PIN but don't have one: My son's new laptop is asking for his PIN but we never set one up and we can't access his laptop now. I've tried going into my Microsoft account to change his PIN and using the Microsoft support site and info but nothing seems to work....
  7. laptop asking for PIN but don't have one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop asking for PIN but don't have one: My son's new laptop is asking for his PIN but we never set one up and we can't access his laptop now. I've tried going into my Microsoft account to change his PIN and using the Microsoft support site and info but nothing seems to work....
  8. laptop asking for PIN but don't have one

9. I was asked for a PIN but I don't have one

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I was asked for a PIN but I don't have one: So I recently Pre-Ordered Minecraft: Dungeons, but the when I tried to sign into the Microsoft store I was asked to setup Windows hello but then was asked for a PIN even though I never set one. And now I can't log in to the store for something that I've paid for. Help???...
  10. Xbox app asks for a pin but i don't have one

Xbox app asks for a pin but i don't have one: i have seen other people with this problem and they say go to settings - accounts - sign in options yet there is no sign in options there is sign in and passkey but in there there is no pin delete or create a pin, you can create a passkey but that is 6 numbers when the app...