Windows 10: Updated windows 7 to windows 10: can't change default browser to firefox

Discus and support Updated windows 7 to windows 10: can't change default browser to firefox in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've just finished updating my PC from 7 to 10, and I'm now trying to change my default browser. Unfortunately, Firefox won't show up as one of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Elgatee, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Updated windows 7 to windows 10: can't change default browser to firefox

I've just finished updating my PC from 7 to 10, and I'm now trying to change my default browser. Unfortunately, Firefox won't show up as one of the possibilities. I can only see edge, IE and to chose from the store. The firefox application by itself works fine, but I cannot make it the default browser.

I've also tried going into firefox's settings and use the "make default" button, to no avail.

While I'm at it I'll ask here as well: My computer's initial language was French (during the 1st install years ago). Now, this one was reset to default upon installation. I went into the settings, and changed every language settings I could find to english, but the start button's name, and all the settings are still in french. Any idea of what I'm missing?

submitted by /u/Elgatee
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Elgatee, Dec 26, 2019
  2. JSheridan Win User

a problem with firefox been the default browser

No I don't remember seeing it before installing Waterfox. Also, I tried uninstalling both Firefox and Waterfox and then installed Firefox, still not present on the Default Browser list.

Windows 10 1809 with the latest updates but the same problem was there in 1803. I didn't notice it before then.

I tried the suggestions in the link you provided and nothing worked except the last one with the command prompt command. That worked on the laptop that was most affected and made Firefox appear on the list and is now my default browser. Updated windows 7 to windows 10: can't change default browser to firefox :)

I also have a desktop which has had Firefox as the default browser forever but it doesn't show up on the Default Browser list and none of the suggestions worked to make it appear. I'm not going to mess with that one too much as Firefox is already the default browser so I'll be fine unless it somehow gets changed.

Thanks for your help. Updated windows 7 to windows 10: can't change default browser to firefox :)

JSheridan, Dec 26, 2019
  3. How do I make Firefox my default browser on a Windows 10 laptop

Step 5 is incorrect; when I go to choose an app, the only choices are Edge, IE, or Chrome; Firefox is not listed.

BruceEmory, Dec 26, 2019
  4. Updated windows 7 to windows 10: can't change default browser to firefox

New Windows Media Player Plugin for Firefox

Anyone who uses Windows Vista and Mozilla Firefox may be pleased to hear that the Windows Media Player team has now released a plugin for Firefox that should allow the browser to play WMP content on websites. Here are the steps to get it working:
    • Installation of the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin may require administrative access to your PC. It is recommended that you close all other open browser windows before continuing with the installation.
    • Click the Install button to automatically download and install the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin.
    • Depending on your security settings, you may see a Security Warning dialog box. Click Install to install the plugin.
    There is a known issue if you are using Firefox version 2.0.0.3 on Windows Vista with the installer failing with error code -203. To work around this simply restart Firefox (you will get a notification that Windows Vista will be changing the Firefox compatibility settings) and then install again - the second time should succeed.

The download is available here, and the new plugin works on all versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista (although it is mostly intended for Vista, as that currently has no WMP support in Firefox).

Source: Windows Vista Blog

Jimmy 2004, Dec 26, 2019
Thema:

Updated windows 7 to windows 10: can't change default browser to firefox

1. Updated windows 7 to windows 10: can't change default browser to firefox - Similar Threads - Updated can't change

2. Can't change my default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't change my default browser: I've recently been attacked by a malware/virus. After that, a lot of things stopped working. My Opera GX browser ceased to open even after reinstalling, so I deleted. I can still use chrome and microsoft edge, so that problem was solved. The main problem right now is I can't...
  3. Can't change preferred default browser after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change preferred default browser after Windows 10 update: Hi, so I installed the new update because the dumb popups started playing on my nerves, after I did that the system opened up with Edge browser. So I close that crap as fast as I can and then I notice that all my default programs have been changed to Windows ones, I changed...
  4. downloading firefox for default browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    downloading firefox for default browser: I just got this laptop literally an hour ago. I want to install firefox as my default browser. it says I can't do it because I am in "s" mode and need to get an app from the Microsoft store. I can't find the app. I don't want internet explorer as my browser. can someone...
  5. What is Firefox Default Browser Agent in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    What is Firefox Default Browser Agent in Windows 10?: [ATTACH]Mozilla Firefox runs a new service called Default Browser Agent. It’s basically a string of text that the browser sends to the webserver it’s communicating […] This article What is Firefox Default Browser Agent in Windows 10? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  6. Can't make FireFox default browser?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't make FireFox default browser?: Every time I start FireFox I'm presented with a dialog asking if I want to make it my default browser. Yes I do!! I am brought to the screen which lets me choose a browser, but FireFox isn't among the choices. I choose to search for another browser and I'm brought to the...
  7. set firefox as default browser in windows 10

set firefox as default browser in windows 10: I have firefox installed and use it as my browser. I want to set it as my default browser in Windows 10 but it does not appear as an option in the browser selection box. How do I get it into the browser selection box?...
  8. Changing default browser in Windows 10

Changing default browser in Windows 10: I use Windows 10 and habitually use MS Edge as my browser despite the poor favourites management. When I follow a link in an email from MS Outlook, it opens in MS Internet Explorer, so I assume that Edge is not my default browser. This has only recently started happening, so...
  9. Firefox not showing as default browser?

Firefox not showing as default browser?: So....I have tried everything (trust me I really have) and I've searched through numerous forums. This issue is just appallingly bad, and it seems to me that it is a deliberate attempt to force me to use browsers that Microsoft wants me to use...rather than what I CHOOSE....
  10. Cannot make Firefox my default browser in Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot make Firefox my default browser in Windows 10: I would not normally come whining and crying to you folks but I am not able to solve this one myself. This is a new install of Windows 10- done yesterday and Firefox was installed today. Using Firefox or Default apps in Windows 10, I cannot make Firefox the default...