Windows 10: Updated Windows. External Drive Unallocated. Are my files gone forever?

Discus and support Updated Windows. External Drive Unallocated. Are my files gone forever? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I updated windows 10 and windows defender (?) on my mom's laptop on Thursday 8.15.2019. It needed more space to dump the old stuff so I hooked up my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CristinaGrossi, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Updated Windows. External Drive Unallocated. Are my files gone forever?

I updated windows 10 and windows defender (?) on my mom's laptop on Thursday 8.15.2019. It needed more space to dump the old stuff so I hooked up my external drive (that had about 800 GB free space on it) to give it some help. Today, 8.19.2019, I plugged my drive at work and the computer doesn't recognize it. I found it in disk management and it says: 931.51 GB unallocated. The drive is a terabyte. So not only can I not look at the files, it looks like all my files are gone? Please help. Please tell me my files are safe and how to view them. This was where I stored pictures of my daughter growing up. I'm not good with computers. I didn't know using my drive for an update would jeopardize my files. Please please help. <:'(

:)

CristinaGrossi, Aug 19, 2019

2. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Aug 19, 2019
  3. nancy3243 Win User
    Move unallocated space in external drive

Windows 10 OS-I have an external drive with 200 GB of unallocated space on the E Drive Disk1. How can I move this unallocated space to the E Drive to allow for a larger backup.

how to use unallocated space on my external drive- Original Title

nancy3243, Aug 19, 2019
  4. Updated Windows. External Drive Unallocated. Are my files gone forever?

unallocated space in G drive (external)

Hi,

It seems that the external drive's disk partition was not fully or properly allocated. You can extend the disk's partition size by following these steps:

• Click Windows logo (Start), then type diskmgmt.msc.
    • Right-click the basic volume you want to extend. This is the external drive's partition that was previously allocated.
    • Select Extend Volume.
    • Follow the instructions on your screen.

Note: Make sure that you are selecting the correct disk or partition that you want to modify to avoid unexpected data loss. Also, it would be best to backup any existing files on your external drive before making any changes.

If you are still having challenges on managing your disk's partition, we suggest that you post your concern on
    TechNet since this particular issue is beyond the scope
    of this forum.

Don't hesitate to provide us some feedback.

Regards.

Meliton Dec, Aug 19, 2019
Thema:

Updated Windows. External Drive Unallocated. Are my files gone forever?

1. Updated Windows. External Drive Unallocated. Are my files gone forever? - Similar Threads - Updated External Drive

2. No unallocated space showing up on external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No unallocated space showing up on external hard drive.: I am trying to create partition on a new external hard drive but it won't let me since there's nothing to right click. The hard drive is 1.9tb but when I look the details in disk management, none of that storage space shows up. It also doesn't show up in My PC. Is there...
  3. No unallocated space showing up on external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No unallocated space showing up on external hard drive.: I am trying to create partition on a new external hard drive but it won't let me since there's nothing to right click. The hard drive is 1.9tb but when I look the details in disk management, none of that storage space shows up. It also doesn't show up in My PC. Is there...
  4. External Drive taking forever to load. Help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Drive taking forever to load. Help!: Hello everyone, Hope you are well!My PC is not loading my external hard disk properly, it keeps getting stuck on loading the drive and everything related to the drive just keeps getting stuck. I can't open it, I can't disconnect from it, I can't check the properties in...
  5. External Drive taking forever to load. Help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Drive taking forever to load. Help!: Hello everyone, Hope you are well!My PC is not loading my external hard disk properly, it keeps getting stuck on loading the drive and everything related to the drive just keeps getting stuck. I can't open it, I can't disconnect from it, I can't check the properties in...
  6. External Drive taking forever to load. Help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows is detecting a volume of an external hard drive as unallocated space.

Windows is detecting a volume of an external hard drive as unallocated space.: Pictured above is the unallocated space in disk management. The 2016 GB of unallocated data can be turned into a volume, the 5404.04 GB cannot. There was a large sum of data in the 5404, which I am trying to recover. Is there any way I might be able to recover the volume or...
  8. Unallocated space on second drive completely gone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unallocated space on second drive completely gone: Hello! My second drive is completely gone, with the unallocated space not showing up on computer management either. I've used quite a few softwares yet to no avail. Any guides are welcome....
  9. "OneDrive is updating files..." forever

"OneDrive is updating files..." forever: Every time I try in File Explorer to "Share a OneDrive link" I get a notification that it cannot be done now, try in a few minutes. This has been going on for quite some time now. When I click on the cloud on the Taskbar, it shows "OneDrive is updating files...", but it...
  10. Gone forever?

in Windows 10 Support
    Gone forever?: I took very early advantage of the Win10 download and used the resultant iso file to convert my laptop and desktop from win7 to win10. At first things went well and I was very impressed with the new edition of Windows. After a period of about two months the laptop operation...