Windows 10: UpdateOrchestrator keeps waking computer up from sleep every night

Discus and support UpdateOrchestrator keeps waking computer up from sleep every night in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello all, so first things first: My computer is up to date. So I've been wrestling with this problem for the past week. My computer will not stay... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/WalkinSteveHawkin, Jun 20, 2020.

1. UpdateOrchestrator keeps waking computer up from sleep every night

Hello all, so first things first: My computer is up to date.

So I've been wrestling with this problem for the past week. My computer will not stay asleep all night and wakes itself up every night. Really wouldn't be an issue except that it doesn't go back to sleep. It just stays "on" at the login screen. (I've checked other settings, and it's set up to sleep after 30 minutes on both battery and AC power).

• Running powercfg -lastwake:

Type: Wake TimerOwner: [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker)Owner Supplied Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.
    • I ran the task scheduler as an administrator > Library > Microsoft > Windows > UpdateOrchestrator > Properties > Conditions > and unchecked "wake the computer to run this task." When prompted for the admin password, I received "An error occurred for task backup scan. The following error was reported: The supplied variant structure contains invalid data."
    • Since that didn't work, I went to the command prompt, ran as admin, and executed SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot" /DISABLE". Boom! Access Denied. (Even though it's my computer, but whatever).
    • Alright, time for the big guns. NSudo - gimme all them privileges. Ran the cmd, executed the same command, and it looked like it worked. A couple days go by, and the same problem started happening again, and the culprit was once again the stupid UpdateOrchestrator (really kind of a pompous program thinking of itself as sooo important).

So anyway, I'm at a loss. NSudo was kind of my last resort, and I really don't like having to use such a heavy hand to force my OS to do something extremely simple - stay asleep until I come back the next morning. Does anyone have anything else I can try? Otherwise I'm just going to have to start turning my computer off completely, which is kind of a pain if I stop work while I'm in the middle of a project.

submitted by /u/WalkinSteveHawkin
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/WalkinSteveHawkin, Jun 20, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Computer wakes from sleep automatically every night

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your effort on this and thank you for providing the all information. I understand that the PC wakes up automatically when you put the computer to sleep mode.

As per the description it could be that the task is set to wake up the computer when it gets triggered, we can change the settings from Task Scheduler and see if that resolves it.

Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type taskschd.msc and click on
      OK
    3. Now, expand Task Scheduler Library and navigate to
      Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator
    4. On the right pane double click on Universal Orchestrator Start and click
      Conditions tab.
    5. Clear the checkbox for Wake the computer to run this task.
    6. Click on OK.

This should not wake the computer automatically after you put the computer to sleep.

Let us know the results, we will certainly help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 20, 2020
  3. Windows wakes up in the middle of the night

Since the Creators update my Windows PC wakes up in the middle of the night.

Before Creators update, I was able to keep my desktop asleep by disabling Wake Timers in Change advanced power settings -> Sleep, and by disabling Automatic Maintenance.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /waketimers

Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume6\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 14:54:06 on 2017-11-15.

Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Why does UpdateOrchestrator set a wake timer when wake timers are disabled? How can I prevent my computer from waking me up in the middle of the night?

Wessel Troost, Jun 20, 2020
  4. UpdateOrchestrator keeps waking computer up from sleep every night

Wake up during Night

How can I prevent the UpdateOrchestrator to wake up my computer at night? I already turned off all the other stuff that keeps waking up my computer but now they added a new task "Backup Scan" that keeps waking up the computer at intervals. I don't even have
    backup turned on.... Any attempt to turn it off, disable it, delete it, or simply not allowing it to wake up from Sleep/Hibernate failed due to permissions. Can't even take ownership of the task. Why does it wake up my machine when I explicitly tell Windows
    in my power configurations not to do so?

Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 17:52:43 on 02.04.2019.

Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Backup Scan' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

RogerWeber5555, Jun 20, 2020
Thema:

UpdateOrchestrator keeps waking computer up from sleep every night

1. UpdateOrchestrator keeps waking computer up from sleep every night - Similar Threads - UpdateOrchestrator keeps waking

2. Computer keeps waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer keeps waking from sleep: My computer (fully up-to-date - 19042.746) Windows 10 Home x64 wakes from sleep constantly. This is what is waking the computer: C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -lastwake Wake History Count - 1 Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake Source [0] Type: Device Instance Path:...
  3. Computer keeps waking up from sleep/hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer keeps waking up from sleep/hibernation: Winver: 19041.572 I made it hibernate yesterday around 5AM and look at how many times it woke up and went back to sleep: I ran this command on powershell "Get-WinEvent -Providername Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter -MaxEvents 5 | Format-List TimeCreated,Message"...
  4. wake up at 12am every night

in Windows 10 Customization
    wake up at 12am every night: my pc wakes up at 12 am every night, i have turned off all devices from device manager, looked at all the scheduled tasks and nothing worked https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wake-up-at-12am-every-night/6b44b6f4-227b-4d3e-85d7-61032bfefce7
  5. Laptop waking up from sleep at night

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop waking up from sleep at night: I tried following this post, but when I execute this command: powercfg/waketimers, I get a different result: C:\Windows\system32>powercfg/waketimers Timer set by [PROCESS]...
  6. Computers wake up at night

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computers wake up at night: Right so, to start, it's windows update orchestrator that's waking it up. About fifty percent of the time I put my computers to sleep it'll wake them up at the dead of night and keep them at the lockscreen permanently until I shut the computer down. Multiple times during the...
  7. What to set in UpdateOrchestrator if it wakes up my laptop from sleep in the midnight?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What to set in UpdateOrchestrator if it wakes up my laptop from sleep in the midnight?: I already did this: [ATTACH] this was already unchecked: [ATTACH] I removed all the devices from the list, so it's empty: [ATTACH] But what else should I set? I just want pure thing: if I put my laptop into sleep, it will remain in sleep, until I press the Power...
  8. Computer Waking Up From Sleep

Computer Waking Up From Sleep: [ATTACH]I recently built my new gaming rig and I usually set my power and sleep settings to sleep after 2 hours of idle. I realized when it goes to "sleep" It actually turns off but still responds to a press of a key and saves the session. When it turns on it goes through the...
  9. Computer wakes from sleep automatically every night

Computer wakes from sleep automatically every night: I put my computer to sleep before going to bed, but the signon screen is brightly lit every morning. Furthermore, when I launch Windows Update, it never seems to finish searching for new updates. In searching for a cause of the waking, I have come across the following...
  10. computer wakes from sleep at night time

in Windows 10 Support
    computer wakes from sleep at night time: Each morning when I wake up, my computer is on, rather than in sleep mode, as I left it. I have disabled the power of the mouse to wake it. What else can I try to fix this problem? 24004