Windows 10: Updates 4.04 GB but SoftwareDistribution folder is empty.

Discus and support Updates 4.04 GB but SoftwareDistribution folder is empty. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Hello, I'm having an issue in which according to settings, the updates are taking 4.04 GB of space. Is there any way to clean it? I already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jo_1922, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Jo_1922 Win User

Updates 4.04 GB but SoftwareDistribution folder is empty.

Updates 4.04 GB but SoftwareDistribution folder is empty. 3c633684-8601-4375-aa2a-6bff745f2707?upload=true.png
    Hello, I'm having an issue in which according to settings, the updates are taking 4.04 GB of space. Is there any way to clean it? I already checked SoftwareDistrubition/Download and it's empty there.

Can someone please help me with this issue? Thank you.

:)

Jo_1922, Jan 13, 2021

2. Windows Update fails after messing with SoftwareDistribution folder

Having a bit of trouble with updates for Windows 10 Home OEM.

First try (today)
    2020-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4551762)
    We'll try to download the update again later. Error code: (0x8007000d)

retry
    There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later.
    2020-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4551762) - Error 0x800736b5

Yesterday when attempting to update, the error was different.

I'm certain the problem stems from my negligent attempt to relocate the SoftwareDistribution folder to an different drive.
    I wanted this because the HDD(onboard SSD chip) is too small, resulting in failing to update due to lack of HDD space.

What I did:
    1: create a target directory
    for example :
    D:\other\desired\location
    2: Ctrl+alt+delete>taskmanager>services>(right click on) wuauserv (then choose stop)
    3: Rename c:\windows\softwaredistribution
    this folder to softwaredistribution.old
    4: Run cmd as administrator and type this command then hit enter
    mklink /j c:\windows\softwaredistribution d:\other\desired\location
    ("d:\other\desired\location" u can type another location that existed on your hard drive or you can create in step 1 )

5: Type this command on Cmd and then hit enter
    net start wuauserv
    Or you can manually start service like step 2 !

somehow, after a restart and an attempt to update, the link to the new location of SoftwareDistribution folder was gone and a new actual folder in System32 was creates.

Sooooooooo, any help would be appreciated.

WinTenUser, Jan 13, 2021
  3. gvp9000 Win User
    Storage - Temporary files = C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download ?

Will it clean the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" folder ?

Because I did a "Disk Cleanup" and I deleted "Windows Update Cleanup" files but there are still 5.02 GB in "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" folder.

gvp9000, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Shiron Win User

SoftwareDistribution Folder

Yes that's exactly what I mean. Is it safe to delete all the folders and files inside the
    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads folder.

Shiron, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Updates 4.04 GB but SoftwareDistribution folder is empty. - Similar Threads - Updates SoftwareDistribution folder

2. 2022-04-04 KB4023057 update deleted folder 180MB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2022-04-04 KB4023057 update deleted folder 180MB: I just noticed today that a subfolder named “Downloads” in my Downloads folder no longer exists. I looked in C:\Users\User1\Downloads\ folder and the C:\Users\User1\Downloads\Downloads folder is gone. I use Windows 10 File History for backup. I looked in File History to...
  3. 2022-04-04 KB4023057 update deleted folder 180MB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2022-04-04 KB4023057 update deleted folder 180MB: I just noticed today that a subfolder named “Downloads” in my Downloads folder no longer exists. I looked in C:\Users\User1\Downloads\ folder and the C:\Users\User1\Downloads\Downloads folder is gone. I use Windows 10 File History for backup. I looked in File History to...
  4. 2022-04-04 KB4023057 update deleted folder 180MB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Deleting SoftwareDistribution Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting SoftwareDistribution Folder: Dear Support,I accidentally deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder instead of the downloads forler inside of there while clearing caches.I did press skip on everything that popped up.I just wanna make sure if all it okay by asking this here.Or is it better to delete the...
  6. Delete SoftwareDistribution folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete SoftwareDistribution folder: If I delete the SoftwareDistribution folder can I still uninstall updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-softwaredistribution-folder/990eb5dc-1966-4e82-9bb3-ee8da3a39e54
  7. Windows Update - SoftwareDistribution folder location change error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update - SoftwareDistribution folder location change error: I have been using Windows 10 and I need to install a cumulative update (with standalone installer) to the system. However, as the memory of hard drive is only 32gb, more space is needed and it is not possible for me to free up the drive. Therefore, I changed the...
  8. SoftwareDistribution folder duplicated on second drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    SoftwareDistribution folder duplicated on second drive: ​Since the Win10 Anniversary update, I have a duplicate SoftwareDistribution folder on my B drive (which is where I store all my files). There is the regular SoftwareDistribution folder under c:/Windows plus a SoftwareDistribution.old folder, both of which have half a dozen...
  9. SoftwareDistribution Folder

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    SoftwareDistribution Folder: ]I just found where all my updates were located. However there are lots of folders and files. Can I safely delete them as they take up lots of space? The figure below shows how much is in the folder. Thanks for any help. [img] 15686
  10. Emptying Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    Emptying Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download folder.: Can we delete all folders and files in the above folder? 37643