Windows 10: Updates and Viruses

Discus and support Updates and Viruses in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Greetings, I am faithful about updating, and it has landed my new Dell computer in the repair shop once already. It was returned to me with... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by CrashDeLuxe, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Updates and Viruses

Greetings,

I am faithful about updating, and it has landed my new Dell computer in the repair shop once already. It was returned to me with Windows 10 looking more like Windows 9.83. It was simply a barebones Build 1803 and required additional downloading of updates and retrieval of my personal files the repair geeks apparently could not or would not devote any of the 3.5 weeks to that they had my overbuilt desktop computer. This time I have kept a more watchful eye on what does what, and the chaos began immediately after a Microsoft update. First, an audio signal came over my budget 5.1 surround sound speakers purporting to be from Microsoft, stating that I had a virus, and gave a phone number one time to call. In fact, none of the audio signal was repeated and I had no time to jot down any phone number and I have Lyme disease, which impairs my memory, so I was not able to memorize any phone number. Not that I would have trusted this audio signal as it may have been part of the virus. At any rate, under Settings, my Update & Security, Windows Security, Virus & Threat protection page a pop-up window states "Page not available" and further reads my IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app and to contact the IT Helpdesk for information. Excuse my ignorance, but what and where do I find the IT Helpdesk? Prior to this I have never seen or heard of a IT Helpdesk. One of the things that may be urban myth is that most computers have viruses on them before they leave the manufacturer, but several new computers ago I began to believe it was possible. And because of the way my PCs have always had problems from the git-go, pretty much as soon as updates begin rolling in and their installations begin failing repeatedly, I have come to believe that if they don't have a virus courtesy of the OS installed at the point of manufacture, then they get one courtesy of Microsoft's Updates. Be that as it may, or may not be, how do we find the cause, fix it, and proceed on our merry, blissful way?

:)

CrashDeLuxe, Nov 6, 2018
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Updates and Viruses :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Nov 6, 2018
  3. Swapna S Win User
    Unable to remove Viruses

Hi Tony,

I appreciate for performing the steps to fix the issue.

I will certainly help you with the issue you are experiencing.

This issue might occur due to downloading games from a website without any safety precautions on your PC.

Please follow below mentioned issue to resolve the issue:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run Microsoft Safety Scanner on your PC to scan and fix the viruses on your PC.

Please refer below link to run the Microsoft Safety Scanner.

https://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Note: All your files that are corrupted or virus attached will be deleted while you run Microsoft Safety Scanner.

Method 2:

Step 1: Install Windows Updates and run a full System Scan using
    Windows Defender.

To install Windows Update,

Navigate to “Start->Settings->Updates and Security->Windows update->check for updates->Install updates”.

Or

• Press “Windows key + R” and type
      “control update”
      and press ok.

• Click on check for updates option and click on
      Install updates.
    To run Windows Defender,

• Navigate to “Start->Settings-> Updates and Security->Windows Defender->open Windows Defender”.

• Select the option “full” under
      “scan option”
      and click on “scan now”.
    Note: time taken to scan your full system depends on the size of the file you have on your PC.

Step 2: Uninstall unknown programs.

I would suggest you to check, if any unknown programs are installed on your PC.

• Press “Windows key + X” from your keyboard and click on
      “Control panel”.

• Change to “Large Icon” under “View by” (you will see at right top corner of the windows).

• Click on “Programs and Features” option.

• Select and right click on the unknown programs (if installed) and click on
      uninstall/remove.
    I would like to inform that usually Appdata folder will be hidden, please refer to below link to
    unhide files and folders on Windows 10.

Please follow below mentioned steps to unhide files and folder.

• Press “Windows key + E” from your keyboard.

• Go to the tab View->check “Hidden” option.
    Please get back to us with the updated issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Swapna S, Nov 6, 2018
  4. Updates and Viruses

Question on viruses and documents

Once the virus is removed just use a reputable antivirus program like AVG. I suggest AVG because it does check usb devices for viruses automatically once you stick the usb drive into the usb port.

EastCoasthandle, Nov 6, 2018
Thema:

Updates and Viruses

1. Updates and Viruses - Similar Threads - Updates Viruses

2. Should I fix first the virus then update my bios using USB or vice versa?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I fix first the virus then update my bios using USB or vice versa?: USB shortcut virus and BIOS update. My Flashdrive port has a virus which creates a shortcut to folders whenever I insert a USB, I already watched a couple of videos on how to fix this but I also need to update my bios due to another problem on my pc....
  3. Should I fix first the virus then update my bios using USB or vice versa?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Should I fix first the virus then update my bios using USB or vice versa?: USB shortcut virus and BIOS update. My Flashdrive port has a virus which creates a shortcut to folders whenever I insert a USB, I already watched a couple of videos on how to fix this but I also need to update my bios due to another problem on my pc....
  4. Should I fix first the virus then update my bios using USB or vice versa?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. i cant update my windows due to a virus im assuming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i cant update my windows due to a virus im assuming: I need help removing a virus bitcoin miner on my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-update-my-windows-due-to-a-virus-im/13a43184-2265-4fce-b65b-07b3ca312ea6
  6. i cant update my windows due to a virus im assuming

i cant update my windows due to a virus im assuming: I need help removing a virus bitcoin miner on my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-update-my-windows-due-to-a-virus-im/13a43184-2265-4fce-b65b-07b3ca312ea6
  7. i cant update my windows due to a virus im assuming

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. window update in window 11 keep updating Microsoft Defender anti virus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    window update in window 11 keep updating Microsoft Defender anti virus: Respectfully, I have window 11 Pro, it is new, for a few days I have faced a problem, in this sense the windows update keeping continuously updating Microsoft Defender anti virus MDAV several time per day, in over 3 days I have received over 13-14 update!! meanwhile I have...
  9. window update in window 11 keep updating Microsoft Defender anti virus

window update in window 11 keep updating Microsoft Defender anti virus: Respectfully, I have window 11 Pro, it is new, for a few days I have faced a problem, in this sense the windows update keeping continuously updating Microsoft Defender anti virus MDAV several time per day, in over 3 days I have received over 13-14 update!! meanwhile I have...
  10. Can't update virus defs. in windows 8

Can't update virus defs. in windows 8: When I search for virus updates it tells me the connection to the internet is down but I am on the internet when it says that. I have windows 8. What can I do? I have checked everything on my computer and can't find an answer!...