Windows 10: Updates and Wired / Wireless Connection Issues

Discus and support Updates and Wired / Wireless Connection Issues in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; First, some background, I've been a PC tech for years and currently work as a programmer. I've built and configured hundreds of machines and I know how... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by wcgrnway, Apr 26, 2017.

1. wcgrnway Win User

Updates and Wired / Wireless Connection Issues

First, some background, I've been a PC tech for years and currently work as a programmer. I've built and configured hundreds of machines and I know how to systematically observe and troubleshoot issues.

I own three machines, an HTPC on WIN 10, my development machine on Win 7, and my wife's WIN 10 personal machine.

Trials and tribulations began when after a forced update my HTPC would no longer connect to the internet... after an hour of jacking with the Realtek Gbe drivers for the motherboard and seeing tons of complaints and went to the local store bought a standalone card slapped it in the machine (new hardware should fix it, right?)... Wrong. Same issue. After more time and internet browsing and seeing a common thread (Realtek)... I determined the motherboard must be borked... I ordered a new one. Not an hour after I clicked "purchase" ... my wife called me. She couldn't connect to the internet. Huh... what a coincidence... checked her drivers... yes, Realtek... yes, she'd just gotten an update. Okay... so now... three adapters... all realtek... all stop working after a windows update... This is NOT a hardware problem...

I looked into this... spending tons of time researching. Power management was a component and forced driver updates. I turned off power-management of the onboard NICs and that granted a little more stability.

I was feeling really pissed because I had purchased $500 worth of hardware to fix Microsoft's introduced issue.

The new motherboard had an Intel NIC on board. After a fresh install of windows... it worked. On my HTPC nothing would make it work right. I bought a standalone Intel NIC and ---STILL--- the disconnections persisted. Only after I completely reinstalled windows 10 did the problem go away after I turned off power management, and driver updates.

Last night on my wife's machine which has been stable ever since the complete rebuild, I put a new GTX 1070 video card in there. The nVidia WHQL drivers would not install on her "old build of windows 10". I clicked okay on the update. On the new version the drivers installed. She played on it the rest of the night.... NO ISSUES.

This morning... the machine was back at the login because an update had been pushed.

And the connection issue is back.

I will no doubt be boxing with this problem for another few hours. I have wasted hours and hours on this. Looking through forum posts with MS experts laying blame at the feet of drivers and bad hardware. I don't buy cheap equipment, I purchase for stability. After hours of screwing with computers at work, I don't want to come home and do my own tech support!

This is super frustrating issue for non-technical users. Having to reinstall windows to fix corruption caused by a forced update is RIDICULOUS. Hours of time wasted because something was "fixed" that didn't need to be touched. With multiple machines, I can verify that this is not hardware or driver related. It's something related to the TCP stack in windows getting jacked and crashing.

For people experiencing this issue it seems worst with the Realtek based cards, I was never able to achieve stability after the anniversary update. With the Intel NICs I was able to achieve stability by ripping out the stock Microsoft drivers ... this can be quite frustrating as windows slams another copy in almost before you can log out. It needs to be done in safe mode... However, Microsoft if you're listening ... disabling the MSI installer and the Repair functionality in while in SAFE MODE is perhaps the stupidest thing ever conceived.

Anyways, there are utilities that will allow you to run MSI installers in safe mode... so that you can run the Intel driver installer if you get to the desperation point that I did where I couldn't flippin uninstall the drivers in regular mode.

Bottom line a REAL solution for this issue needs to be published. Having the issue happen 5 times (3 times on one machine, twice on another) with various NICs means this is no driver / hardware issue. These are machines that run stably for months at a time and mysteriously and coincidentally stop working right after an update. I would like to add throughout all 5 incidents... the Windows 7 has NEVER had any such issues despite having similar hardware and even a Realtek NIC. Further the same hardware (like the purchased Realtek NIC) work fine on that Win 7 build but failed in both the Win 10 machines.

It would be nice if somebody has gone through this and has the steps to reproduce a stable fix that DOESN'T INVOLVE A FULL REINSTALL.

:)

wcgrnway, Apr 26, 2017

2. Wired and wireless connection issues

Hello,

Software conflict is one of the possible causes of this network connection issue you're experiencing. To help you narrow down and resolve this issue, we highly recommend performing the troubleshooting steps in this article:
    Fix network connection issues in Windows 10.

Let us know if that worked out for you.

Michelle Vil, Apr 26, 2017
  3. sfcurcio Win User
    Wired and wireless connection issues

I recently setup a new computer in my home. I had a wired connection to my router which also provides WiFi. At first, I connected through the Ethernet cable and received Internet. After I connected to my home server, the wired connection will not receive
    Internet, but still connects to the server.

The adapter says it's getting Internet, but I am getting a DNS error in the browser. In order for me to browse the Internet, I have to now go through the WiFi connection, while the server is connected through the Ethernet cable. How do I get both the server
    and Internet connected through the Ethernet connection?

PS: it worked when I had Windows 10 Pro on an old computer. But now the new computer is Windows 10 Home.

sfcurcio, Apr 26, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Save the txt below as nic.cmd

then right click and run as admin make sure all programs are closed as it will reboot

netsh advfirewall reset
    netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state ON
    ipconfig /flushdns
    netsh winsock reset catalog
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    netsh int ipv4 reset
    netsh int ipv6 reset
    bitsadmin /reset /allusers
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\IPSec\Policy\Local /f
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\IPSec\Policy\Local /f
    netsh interface ipv6 6to4 set state state=disabled undoonstop=disabled
    netsh interface ipv6 isatap set state state=disabled
    netsh interface teredo set state disabled
    netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled
    reg add hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip6\parameters /v DisabledComponents /t REG_DWORD /d 0xFFFFFFFF
    for /F "tokens=*" %%a in ('wevtutil.exe el') DO wevtutil.exe cl "%%a"
    shutdown -r

Samuria, Apr 26, 2017
  5. wcgrnway Win User
    Wow, that's a +Kitchen sink I will try this if my last fix doesn't hold...

(Removing the drivers ... twice + safe mode + diddling) seemed to get the drivers stable... or they have been for the last hour or so. Earlier today, wife said was disconnecting like every 5 minutes... she was ticked... I understand...

Thanks for the reply!

wcgrnway, Apr 26, 2017
  6. wcgrnway Win User
    Well, the machine started doing the bogus self-disabling again. I ran the kitchen sink script (twice) and it didn't really make a difference.

I notice the nic instability started happening after a patch for flash... (I think this is a coincidence)... I'm going to dig through the events and see if there's any clues.

wcgrnway, Apr 28, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    Can you ge this on via usb or other see if it tells us anything

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.
    Downloading MiniToolBox

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
    Reset FF proxy Settings
    Reset Ie Proxy Settings
    Report IE Proxy Settings
    Report FF Proxy Settings
    List content of Hosts
    List IP configuration
    List Winsock Entries
    List last 10 Event Viewer log
    List Installed Programs
    List Users, Partitions and Memory size
    List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

Samuria, Apr 28, 2017
  8. wcgrnway Win User

If nothing else, I am stubborn I took the following steps and it has remained stable since the last posting.

1.) I disabled the existing l219-V (2) Intel adapter in device manager (I deliberately did not uninstall)
    2.) Downloaded Intel's 2.22 install CD and ran the installer
    3.) The installer created a new l219-V (2) #1 adapter (note the #1)
    4.) I went into the adapter settings and disabled everything to do with power saving / wake on lan, I turned on jumbo packets for performance
    Noted: that the adapter disabled and enabled quickly (when it's not stable it's very sluggish).
    5.) Disabled win 10 driver updates.
    6.) Uninstalled the old l219-V (2) adapter

Something I should not have done is I moved the ethernet endpoint off the wireless router to my switch. I had seen the adapter negotiate once at 10/100 instead of 1 gig -- so I moved it. So, admittedly I don't know whether adapter voodoo fixed the issue or simply changing it to another ethernet port did. Honestly, since it's working and it's my wife's machine... quiet is much more attractive than knowledge / certainty.

Hope this helps anyone else that experiences the issue.

wcgrnway, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Updates and Wired / Wireless Connection Issues - Similar Threads - Updates Wired Wireless

2. Issues with wireless connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with wireless connection: Hi I have windows 11 on my lenovo yoga c740 laptop. I am having issues connecting my hisense 50 inch tv and also my canon wireless printer to connect to it. The first time my 2 devices get connected but after that they show in the list of devices but do not connect...
  3. Wireless connection issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless connection issue: I have a laptop running a Ryzen7 4800h and an RTX 2060. When updated my Nvidia drivers my wireless connection stopped working. I checked to make sure the adapter was enabled, and its refusing to connect to the displayed connections. After turning the wifi on and off, it stops...
  4. Wired & Wireless Simultaneous Connection - Priority?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wired & Wireless Simultaneous Connection - Priority?: Apparently, I have to keep my WiFi on my PC on for some other use, but mainly I use a wired connection to my router for internet. How does Windows 10 prioritize which connection to use (wired vs wireless) and how can I ensure that Windows 10 is forcing internet through the...
  5. Traffic routing on wired and wireless connections

Traffic routing on wired and wireless connections: I have satellite internet service with limited data. I use wired Ethernet as the always-on connection, but for higher data or bandwidth applications, i.e. large downloads or video streaming, I connect to a cellular hotspot. Is there a way to configure my adapters or other...
  6. wired to wireless connect

wired to wireless connect: currently I have two ISPs. one that I've connected to "internet" via ethernet wire. I have a second ISP that I can connect to wirelessly. How do I change from the current wired connection to the wireless connection, Win 10 64....
  7. No Internet connection on wired Ethernet or wireless

No Internet connection on wired Ethernet or wireless: I have a Windows 10 desktop that will not connect to the Internet either wired Ethernet or wireless. It previously connected fine through a D-Link DWA-140 USB wireless adapter. I swapped the adapter to an identical machine and it worked fine. I plugged in a known working...
  8. Wireless connectivity issue

Wireless connectivity issue: Hello all, I am facing a vexing problem that I simply cannot solve so I decided to post it here. I am using a HP Win 10 laptop connected wireless in my office network. I can connect to the internet but neither can I connect to any other computer in the LAN nor can the...
  9. Wireless Connection Issue

Wireless Connection Issue: Hello, Here's the layout. I have a desktop in the living room, a desktop in the bedroom, and an iPhone. I have a wireless connection throughout my home. A few weeks ago, some workers came over to install hardwood floors in my living room. They unplugged the phone cable,...
  10. New computer, connects wirelessly not to the wire i connected

New computer, connects wirelessly not to the wire i connected: I had to get a new computer and everything was all peachy-keen until this morning when i put my old HDD in and added 16 more gigs of RAM. I restart and it keeps connecting wirelessly. Not only that, but it won't even recognize the hard wire in the back or that I have an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. install wireless devices wireless drivers wire browser wendows10 updates and upgrades enable updates

2. how to update wired and wireless network