Windows 10: Updates breaking network connection & sound

Discus and support Updates breaking network connection & sound in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 Home, version 1803, build 17134523. The last 2 updates, KB4023057 and KB4100347, have both resulted in my having no network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Smiley1, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Smiley1 Win User

Updates breaking network connection & sound

I'm running Windows 10 Home, version 1803, build 17134523.

The last 2 updates, KB4023057 and KB4100347, have both resulted in my having no network connection and no sound on my laptop after these updates have been installed on restart. I am able to repair both by running the Windows diagnostics.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm glad it's an easy fix, but it's a little inconvenient, and it's a bit of a white knuckle thing as I sit and hope the repair works, and then breathe a sigh of relief when it does.

I'm also running HitmanPro Alert, in which I have disabled some features because my laptop was having episodes of bogging down. The troubleshooting there is going to take some time, but so far I think the features I have disabled have dealt with the problems there.

:)

Smiley1, Jan 31, 2019
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Network and sound

Hi,

Thank you for update and reply.

If I understand correctly issue with wifi still persists as you are unable to disconnect and it still not appear on startup and when you reboot problem with sound reappears.

I suggest you to install any pending updates on the pc to check if that helps. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

I suggest you to follow the Methods and check if the issue still persists.

Issue 1: sound

Method 1: try uninstalling the sound driver and reinstalling it.

1. Press Windows + X and select Device Manager.

2. Select Sound, video and gaming controllers.

3. Uninstall the High definition audio driver

4. Restart the system.

Method 2: Reinstall the driver from the manufacturer website and check updating the device.

Issue 2: Network

Method 1:

Remove and re-create the wireless network connection.

To remove and re-create the wireless network connection, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type ncpa.cpl, and then hit Enter.

2. Right-click your wireless network connection, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Wireless Networks tab.

4. Under Preferred networks, click your wireless network, and then click Remove.

5. Click View Wireless Networks.

6. Under Network Tasks, click Refresh Network List.

7. Under Choose a wireless network, click the wireless network to which you want to connect, and then click Connect.

Method 2: update the Network Drivers from Device Manager.

1. Type Windows key + X.

2. Select device manager.

3. Expand Sound Video and Game controller.

4. Select audio driver right click to update.

I suggest you to reset the Winsock and TCP/IP stack and check if it helps.

Method 3:

Step 1: Follow the steps given below to reset Winsock.

• a) Press Windows key + X, select Command Prompt (Admin)
    • b) Type “netsh winsock reset” in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
    • c) Restart the computer.

Step 2: Follow the steps given below to reset TCP/IP stack.

• a) Press Windows key + X, select Command Prompt (Admin)
    • b) Type “netsh int ip reset reset.log hit” in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
    • c) Restart the computer.

Refer to the below link to check how to install and update.

How to Install and Update drivers in Windows 10:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-update-drivers-in-windows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Jan 31, 2019
  3. Losing network connection

Hello Dear, if you have a laptop or a PC with a wireless network adapter, you can see a list of available wireless networks and then connect to one of those networks. The wireless networks will only appear if your PC has a wireless network adapter installed, the adapter is turned on, and the wireless access point is in range.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.

2. In the left pane, under Network Tasks, click View available wireless networks.
    In case, If you don't see the network you want to connect to, click Refresh network list. If you see the network but the signal is weak, move the PC closer to the wireless router.

3. Click the network you want to connect to, and then click Connect.

4. If you're connecting to a secure network, type the security key, and then click OK.

I Hope you solve out your query soon.

martinkaren77, Jan 31, 2019
  4. Mel Tar Win User

No network connection

Hello Graham,

To resolve your concern about wireless network issues, please click the link below and follow the suggested troubleshooting steps:

Let us know how it goes.

Mel Tar, Jan 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Updates breaking network connection & sound - Similar Threads - Updates breaking network

2. Win10 update breaks my networking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 update breaks my networking: I updated two nights ago and it has since caused my PCI networking to die.I have exhausted every tip and trick online from running cmd to enter 7 or so commands then restart, uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, changing the cable, and lastly, contacting my ISP as I have...
  3. Win10 update breaks my networking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 update breaks my networking: I updated two nights ago and it has since caused my PCI networking to die.I have exhausted every tip and trick online from running cmd to enter 7 or so commands then restart, uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, changing the cable, and lastly, contacting my ISP as I have...
  4. Win10 update breaks my networking

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows 10 security update KB5006670 breaks network printer connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 security update KB5006670 breaks network printer connection: Our office computers all updated with security patch KB5006670 yesterday and immediately, everyone lost their network printer. The computers can no longer find it. I contacted my IT guy not in house and he said he was busy all morning uninstalling the update from all his...
  6. Windows 10 security update KB5006670 breaks network printer connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 security update KB5006670 breaks network printer connection: Our office computers all updated with security patch KB5006670 yesterday and immediately, everyone lost their network printer. The computers can no longer find it. I contacted my IT guy not in house and he said he was busy all morning uninstalling the update from all his...
  7. Windows 10 security update KB5006670 breaks network printer connection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows update breaking PC sound and performance

Windows update breaking PC sound and performance: Hello, it's 1 month already since a i am facing this problem. Windows update will install an update and after this the sound will stop working, also, this has happen while playing games and this update will kill the performance of the game. 1. is there a way to get the list...
  9. Updating Windows without Sounds Breaking

Updating Windows without Sounds Breaking: I have been unable to update windows for a month or two now because every time I do, my sounds get all messed up, where some sounds are far too loud and others are far too low. Sometimes certain sounds can be loud while others are too low in the same program/game/etc. Turning...
  10. Short, temporary breaks in all network connectivity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Short, temporary breaks in all network connectivity: I have a Dell XPS8930 running Windows 10 Pro 1803. It has always suffered from short, temporary breaks in network connectivity - although it has taken me some time to understand this. For example, when having a conversation over Skype, the app will suddenly show 'problems...