Windows 10: Updates cause BSOD and fail after updating to 2004

Discus and support Updates cause BSOD and fail after updating to 2004 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; after updating Win 10 to build 2004, I try to run updates, then I get a BSOD. It restarts, then I try to run updates again and it keeps failing to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HappyBatty, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Updates cause BSOD and fail after updating to 2004

after updating Win 10 to build 2004, I try to run updates, then I get a BSOD. It restarts, then I try to run updates again and it keeps failing to install. I have ran through this twice and still same result. I have included a OneDrive link to my system info and the minidump file. I have tried looking this up, but the known issues don't seem to be relevant to my system, unless I'm missing something? I have rolled back to 1909 for now, but any help would be appreciated.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnS8FS_wOjxulkEdgk29PY9P4vPZ?e=Xq8b6d

:)

HappyBatty, Aug 2, 2020

2. Got a BSOD after Windows update

I just got a windows defender definition update and after it was done configuring and all that i got a BSOD. How do you uninstall this update??

MxPhenom 216, Aug 2, 2020
  3. jds21 Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Aug 2, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Updates cause BSOD and fail after updating to 2004

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Aug 2, 2020
Thema:

Updates cause BSOD and fail after updating to 2004

1. Updates cause BSOD and fail after updating to 2004 - Similar Threads - Updates cause BSOD

2. 2004 and 20H2 updates causing BSOD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2004 and 20H2 updates causing BSOD: Whenever I try to update to the newest version of Windows 10 from 1909 starting with 2004, now same issue with 20H2, my computer crashes and gives a Blue screen with an SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. I have looked at the error logs and they give a code of 0x0000003b. The error...
  3. Failing to update to 2004

Failing to update to 2004: Hi. I'm having problems updating to 2004. I'm getting the error 0xx1900101. After installation, the system reboots, then fails to finish loading on the Windows loading screen, reboots and resets to 1909. I've tried installing with an ISO boot drive, and here I'm...
  4. 2004 update fails

2004 update fails: the installation fails with the error code 0xc0000005 when running it from Windows Update. Application log: Faulting application name: SetupHost.Exe, version: 10.0.19041.508, time stamp: 0xc98e07c3 Faulting module name: appraiser.dll, version: 10.0.19041.508, time stamp:...
  5. BSOD after W10 2004 update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD after W10 2004 update?: Hi, I recently downloaded the Windows 10 2004 feature update and ever since this when I have been playing a specific game, I will randomly get BSOD with the error code irql_not_less_or_equal. I have tested my ram, hardware is pretty new and this only started happening after...
  6. 2004 update fails

2004 update fails: Some snips from the upgrade assistant log upgrader_default: 2020-09-16 06:33:27.033, Warning [GetConfigurationByKey] File:utility.cpp, Line:270 failed with error code 0x80070002 2020-09-16 06:33:27.033, Warning [CheckWhetherShowWelcomeOnWin10] File:welcomepage.cpp,...
  7. 2004 update fails

2004 update fails: I have been unable to get this update to install, it fails with the came code 0xc000005 in widows update. I tried using the upgrade assistant, that too fails. Here's the end of the log that was generated. 2020-09-16 07:02:55.704, Error Setup Platform Deployment failed with...
  8. The May Update (2004) won't install, causes a BSOD

The May Update (2004) won't install, causes a BSOD: Hi. My PC finally received the 2004 update, but it won't install. The installation is going fine, but then a BSOD (error code: MEMORY MANAGEMENT) appears and the PC reboots. Windows tries to continue updating, fails miserably, crashes again, and reverts the changes. The...
  9. BSoD after update to Version 2004

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSoD after update to Version 2004: I faced a BSoD problem today, 1 week after upgrading to Version 2004 feature update. The error shows VIDEO TDR FAILURE atikmpag.sys failed. Here's what i have tried so far- 1.Tried rebooting several times 2. Restore to a previous setting [IMG] 3. Uninstall...
  10. black screen after failed 2004 update

black screen after failed 2004 update: Attempted to install 2004 update from 1909 yesterday. Got stuck at 17% after reboot. I had to leave work and hoped the battery would last until I got home but it didn't. When I start my laptop I get the dell screen with the progress bar then goes to a black screen with a...