Windows 10: updates continuously fail on my laptop

Discus and support updates continuously fail on my laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I need a solution. I have a Dell Inspiron 5759. I have worked with Dell ( for several months in Spring of 2018 since my laptop model was listed as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SMann4, Sep 6, 2019.

1. SMann4 Win User

updates continuously fail on my laptop

I need a solution. I have a Dell Inspiron 5759. I have worked with Dell ( for several months in Spring of 2018 since my laptop model was listed as compatible) via remote desktop sessions where they tried all of the things I had already tried. They had no more success than I did. We tried manual installation, system file checker, defrag hard drive, uninstalling previous updates and starting over, turning off services that may be interfering, a fresh installation of Windows 10 (from microsoft website). All they could come up with is a system wipe and start COMPLETELY over. I do not like this option. I am a Graduate student and don't have the time to reinstall everything I need just to get my work done. I have already spent ridiculous amounts of time trying to troubleshot this issue. Also, since the updates cannot be stopped, every time I am trying to get actual work done I am repeatedly interrupted with requests to restart the computer and my programs hang up because of the continuous loop of looking for updates, downloading, preparing to update, etc. When this process began the update for windows 1703 KB4091663 was the problem as well as the feature updates for 1709. Eventually (after many many months) 1703 installed, then more months later the feature update for 1709 successfully installed, now I am in the frustrating loop of trying to install the feature update for 1803 x64 2019-08B and 08C and some the security updates "were unable to be installed". The fact that they eventually go through (almost a year of the install loop for 1703 and 1709) seems to point to an issue with the updates themselves and not the laptop itself. I need to recover my laptop's productivity. If the only solution is to wipe everything and start completely over, I will switch to Linux since it will cost me several hours/ days to reinstall everything I need anyway, and I will be done with the frustrating installation loop. Can you help me? Has there been some discovery of a system, software, or service that interferes (I also tried uninstalling my avast antivirus to ensure that it was not the problem)? I would appreciate any help.

:)

SMann4, Sep 6, 2019

2. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Sep 6, 2019
  3. chideock Win User
    KB4025339 Fails Install 0x80070564

Thanks
    I am trying Eagle 51's suggestions now. Windows Update troubleshooter found a bunch of errors and fixed all but one.The update is trying to download KB4025339 again. I'll see what happens. At step one troubleshooter finishes with one error unresolved "Potential Windows Update Database Error Detected-Not Fixed". Windows update stalled at 0%.

At step 2 same troubleshooter error. The KB finished a new download failed to install.
    Did step 3 KB has downloaded but fails to install.

If Eagle's suggestion doesn't work I'll try EdTittel's suggestion

Tried bothe Eagle & Ed 's suggestions - do not work. Anyone else?

I have noticed that the latest update for my nvidia drivers has failed to update. Wondering about that!

chideock, Sep 6, 2019
  4. SOG75Mid Win User

Update 1709 continually fails

My machine continually attempts to install 1709. It has failed (at least) 15 times in exactly the same place on the update process.

At 54% it tries to restart the machine and never comes back. I have left it alone for many hours (overnight in one case) to no avail. When I power down the machine to get something working, it proceeds to 82% and then hangs again.

ASUS does not have my computer on the list of machines certified for 1709 so no surprise it fails - shouldn't windows update be smart enough to check vendor lists before applying a fix?

I have done all the fix steps that have been logged in other threads (clean boot; disable all USB connections; update all drivers; run SC and DISM) including the ISO solution.

I am beginning to think that the only prudent upgrade step left to me right now either involves Linux or Mac OSX.

How can I stop windows update from doing it over and over again. This is extremely frustrating and borders on Einstein's definition of insanity.

SOG75Mid, Sep 6, 2019
Thema:

1. updates continuously fail on my laptop - Similar Threads - updates continuously fail

2. Failing update continuously

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failing update continuously: I have Windows 10 21H1 and it has failed update continuously happening in my Windows. Error couldnt install updates and I try to do basic TS but still no help. Im doing this update for 2 weeks now....
  3. Failing update continuously

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failing update continuously: I have Windows 10 21H1 and it has failed update continuously happening in my Windows. Error couldnt install updates and I try to do basic TS but still no help. Im doing this update for 2 weeks now....
  4. Failing update continuously

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows update continually fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update continually fails: Current error code - 0x800f0922So I'll start from the beginning.I bought this computer two years ago and it came with Windows 10. Beginning of this year I think I upgraded to Windows 11.I had Windows 11 at the end of June. It was trying to update my computer a few times and...
  6. Windows update continually fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update continually fails: Current error code - 0x800f0922So I'll start from the beginning.I bought this computer two years ago and it came with Windows 10. Beginning of this year I think I upgraded to Windows 11.I had Windows 11 at the end of June. It was trying to update my computer a few times and...
  7. Windows update continually fails

8. Update KB5015882 continuously fails installing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update KB5015882 continuously fails installing: I'm at my wits end with this update now. It keeps failing to install at 25% citing 0x8000ffff error code. I've tested a number of things. SFC finds no issues that need fixing, I've restarted the Microsoft Store via WSReset.exe, I've run the Windows Update troubleshooter but...
  9. windows update fails continuously

windows update fails continuously: when I am trying to update my windows 10 to latest patch it fails with error code 0x800f0922. can anyone tell me what to do now..[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-fails-continuously/785d370f-9d6e-43fc-b735-eb698c05d78f
  10. Windows continuously failing to update

Windows continuously failing to update: Hard to explain but I went to the Windows Update tab is settings, updated, and got these errors: [ATTACH] No idea how I got them but I retried and got the same errors. Thanks!...