Windows 10: Updates killed laptop, have to reinstall windows

Discus and support Updates killed laptop, have to reinstall windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This laptop was upgraded from Windows 8 to 10 last year. I'm searching for the activation code and I have one in System; however, online on my account... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Zyríos, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Zyríos Win User

Updates killed laptop, have to reinstall windows

This laptop was upgraded from Windows 8 to 10 last year. I'm searching for the activation code and I have one in System; however, online on my account there are no activation codes though it shows "Digital Liscense" in settings. How do I trust that reinstalling windows, my activation code showing in system or by signing in my live account that I will be able to proceed? I should not have to be doing this. Your updates showing 1903 killed my wifi adapter, unable to get anything to work now, taskbar is nothing, right click..nothing...notifications....nothing. Once I get a wifi connection, if I reboot or shutdown the laptop, I am not able to get back online for 2 days. I dont know what is wrong or why this machine updated when I had everything disabled for updates because I dont trust anything with the red tape of users angered the past 2 years with updates. Ive uninstalled every update known on this laptop and still it is dead. Where can I find my activation code for reinstalling windows; all my paperwork from the laptop was destroyed in a hurricane 2 years ago.. **** happens to people beyond our control; now this is on your control; help me with getting windows reinstalled; everything was perfect till MS decided my laptop had to be updated during covid, hardships and still looking for a job well when I get online every 2-3 days for rebooting or shutting down kills my adapter for 2 days.

Ive done

sfc scannow...no errors

DISM...no errors

uninstalled every update, still dead on wifi

defragged..no change

unistalled every update, no change, no wifi, no list of networks

checked network discovery

stopped/restarted every service related to networks

etc...all done numerous time for the past 2 weeks and I need to reinstall windows but I dont know if my product code in system is accurate.

:)

Zyríos, Sep 28, 2020
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Updates killed laptop, have to reinstall windows :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Sep 28, 2020
  3. KTR
    ktr Win User
    Windows updates won't install!

I had the same problem when i repaired my O/S, i forgot the steps on how to fixed it, but it is in the microsoft support forum.

You have to reinstall the windows updater, then restart the updating service.

edit: Found it...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

4. MrGenius Win User

[Solved] Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142

I noticed quite some time ago that KB3119142 (Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package) kept reinstalling itself for some reason. At least once daily. Sometimes up to several times a day. I just ignored it. It didn't seem to be doing any harm. And I figured they'd eventually fix it. Well...days turned into weeks, weeks into months, with no end to the problem in sight. It dragged on unsolved for at least the last few months. Literally reinstalling itself hundreds of(at least a hundred, felt like more) times in that period of time.

So I finally googled it a couple days ago. And just got around to fixing it today. Which appears to have worked. And it couldn't have been easier to do. I feel so stupid to have let it intimidate me for so long.*Oops! Updates killed laptop, have to reinstall windows :oops:
    Below are links to the thread that I got the fix idea from, and the official MS support info page for KB3119142(from which I quoted the above).
    http://www.tenforums.com/windows-up...-windows-10-keeps-reinstalling-kb3119142.html
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3119142

MrGenius, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Updates killed laptop, have to reinstall windows - Similar Threads - Updates killed laptop

2. Automatic driver installation and updates have killed my laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic driver installation and updates have killed my laptop.: My laptop was working fine for two year and suddenly some updates popped up and after installing those several issues have started happening :1. My laptop doesn't power off/ sleep/ shut down/ restart as it was earlier. Now it takes around 3-4 minutes doing any of these.2. I...
  3. Automatic driver installation and updates have killed my laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic driver installation and updates have killed my laptop.: My laptop was working fine for two year and suddenly some updates popped up and after installing those several issues have started happening :1. My laptop doesn't power off/ sleep/ shut down/ restart as it was earlier. Now it takes around 3-4 minutes doing any of these.2. I...
  4. Windows 11 update killed my laptop!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 11 update killed my laptop!!: I clicked to restart my laptop so the Windows 11 update to proceed but once my laptop shut down it won't come back on. It was at 80 percent charge before it shut down. How do I get my laptop to reset and come back on??...
  5. New Update Killed Laptop

New Update Killed Laptop: My laptop was working fine yesterday, then suddenly bam! I can't even get passed the date and time screen. I did all the basics: restarted, control+alt+delete, accessed that recovery environment thing, tried to system restore, uninstall updates, startup repair. The only...
  6. Windows 10 update kills 2 laptops

Windows 10 update kills 2 laptops: Ive tried, uninstall updates, refresh, restore point, nothingworks. Tried clean installwith usb. Changed BIOS. NOPE. Two completely useless laptops because of windows 10 update. Any ideas gtratefully accepted....
  7. Windows update killed my laptops

Windows update killed my laptops: In late 2018 we had yet another forced windows update that we cant actually turn off so my laptop went and updated its windows 10 installation and restarted. It attempted to boot into windows but its just displayed a flashing cursor for 2 seconds then a black screen. Despite...
  8. Windows update killed my laptop

Windows update killed my laptop: Do not switch off your computer Sitting there for hours. Restore failed. FAILED. Startup repair failed Go back to previous version failed. Leaving the only option to reset it. You utter Wombles. You festervering sores on the backsides of dungbeatles. Months of...
  9. Update killed my laptop

Update killed my laptop: So like many people my computer just updated and is now useless. All of fixes do not work for me. I cannot click anything. Windows +e just gives me that another error "an attempt was made to reference a token that does not exists". My laptop was perfect before this update now...
  10. An update killed wifi on laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    An update killed wifi on laptop: So one of my laptop's updated recently for Windows 10 and now wifi is not working at all. Troubleshooter has given the error "Wifi doesn't have a valid ip configuration" on every connection I try. I've looked up what to do so i've tried all the typical netsh commands,...