Windows 10: Updates may not install with Fast Startup in Windows 10 1903 and 1809

Discus and support Updates may not install with Fast Startup in Windows 10 1903 and 1809 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Updates may not be installed with Fast Startup in Windows 10 Applies to: Windows 10 version 1903 all editions, Windows 10 version 1809 all editions,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, May 27, 2020.

1. Brink Win User

Updates may not install with Fast Startup in Windows 10 1903 and 1809

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...h-fast-startup

How to Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

:)

Brink, May 27, 2020
  2. Kaien294 Win User

Fast Startup Failure (Windows 10 1903)

Hi all

I've been having an issue with Windows 10 reporting an error with 'fast startup failing', it lists a critical 'Kernel power - system' error of 41.

The error log meanwhile lists the kernel-boot and error '29', with the text reading 'Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.'

I've managed to resolve this so far on this mostly brand new computer by clearing the prefetch folder, and it seems to correlate directly with how long it's been since a windows update, for about a month it remained fine, and recently it's begun occurring,
    whether with an interval of two or six days. Recently I noticed that when it last occurred the prefetch folder was missing 'layout.ini', and restoring this did not fix it, however clearing the log and waiting for it to return did.

My computer is an Asus gaming pc, and I did have to use the windows update assistant to update it to 1903, is it perhaps something software based I merely need to wait to be updated, or should I contact support for those I have insurance with?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Kaien294, May 27, 2020
  3. Mokubai Win User
    Windows 10 Pro 1709 update to 1803, 1809 or 1903?

In theory your current settings will be delaying updates to a point where there should not be any stability or quality issues. All being well you will have a years worth of quality issues in that version fixed.

• If you want latest with potential teething troubles then go for 1903.
    • 1809 has been out for more than 6 months so there should no longer be any show-stopping bugs or errors, everything should just work
    • your current settings are postponing feature updates for 1 year and as a result you are offered 1803. This version should be solid, by now well tested and fairly mature.

The version number of 1803 x64 2019-07B suggests that it is downloading it with all relevant updates to July 2019, meaning you are getting all the fixes without the problems of a newer "feature" update such as 1809 or 1903.

If you want best stability and least chance of issues then let it install the version it is proposing.

If you want to live on the edge then go for something newer.

If your system is mission critical and you have no backups then you want stability. If you want features but can tolerate a bit of risk then you want the latest.

Mokubai, May 27, 2020
  4. Updates may not install with Fast Startup in Windows 10 1903 and 1809

New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, May 27, 2020
Thema:

Updates may not install with Fast Startup in Windows 10 1903 and 1809

1. Updates may not install with Fast Startup in Windows 10 1903 and 1809 - Similar Threads - Updates may install

2. Windows Updates may fail if Fast Startup is enabled

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Updates may fail if Fast Startup is enabled: [ATTACH]Fast Startup on Windows 10, as the name suggests, helps you boot your computer back on quickly after you have restarted it. An attribute of the Fast Startup feature is that it could potentially prevent certain updates from installing on your Windows 10 system. In this...
  3. Fast Startup and Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fast Startup and Windows Update: In Light of the below article, is it still Microsoft recommendation for Fast Startup to be enabled? https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4011287/windows-updates-not-install-with-fast-startup...
  4. WINDOWS UPDATE 1809 TO 1903

WINDOWS UPDATE 1809 TO 1903: IS THERE A WAY TO SAVE FILES, APPS AND SETTINGS IN THE WINDOWS UPDATE EVERYTIME I ALLOW WINDOWS UPDATE FROM 1809 TO 1903 I LOSE THE ABOVE. SO I AM FORCED TO RESTORE POINT BACK TO BEFORE THE UPDATE. THANKS, VAC...
  5. Windows 10 update 1809 /1903 fails to install

Windows 10 update 1809 /1903 fails to install: 0x8007042b (this is for 1809) Yes I have tried all ways to get this to install and it will not install, clean boot, ren software distribution, sfc, dism, latest stack, everthing! recommended and will not install. No third party antivirus. This is pretty annoying. OS Name...
  6. WIndows 10 Feature Update 1809/1903 fail to install

WIndows 10 Feature Update 1809/1903 fail to install: Both updates fail to install due to 3rd party AV when non are installed. Have done all actions for DISM update troubleshooting etc. Security on the folder indicates 2 system settings one modify and one full control but I cannot change the ownership without taking it from...
  7. May 1903 Update

May 1903 Update: My windows update showed the Version 1903 update as available. I did not download it as I've heard of problems. When I looked toady the update option was gone. Can someone explain why it disappeared and how I get it back?...
  8. Fast Startup Failure (Windows 10 1903)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fast Startup Failure (Windows 10 1903): Hi all I've been having an issue with Windows 10 reporting an error with 'fast startup failing', it lists a critical 'Kernel power - system' error of 41. The error log meanwhile lists the kernel-boot and error '29', with the text reading 'Windows failed fast startup with...
  9. 1903 changed Fast Startup settings??

in Windows 10 Support
    1903 changed Fast Startup settings??: Has the 1903 update removed the ability to disable Fast Startup? 134756
  10. Windows 10 update 1903 may 10

in Cortana
    Windows 10 update 1903 may 10: I really hate it, i cannot talk to Cortana without keyboard, i need a mic to talk to her, also many settings changed, also when i press on the cortana button, i have this [ATTACH] black bar not doing anything and i can't search any thing, REMOVE THIS UPDATE BACK THE OLD...