Windows 10: Updates on Local Network

Discus and support Updates on Local Network in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; If I have three computers on local network and only one has internet access will this update all machines on local network? [img] 41718 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by zplugger, Feb 22, 2016.

1. zplugger Win User

Updates on Local Network

If I have three computers on local network and only one has internet access will this update all machines on local network?

Updates on Local Network [​IMG]

:)

zplugger, Feb 22, 2016
  2. neilcq Win User

Windows 10 updates from PCs on your local network on public wifi

Is there any setting that can restrict (prevent) sharing of updates on Public networks?

neilcq, Feb 22, 2016
  3. neilcq Win User
    Windows 10 updates from PCs on your local network on public wifi

My question is about security of Windows 10 updates. Under normal circumstances, having the Windows Update download from LAN ("PCs on your local network") option on for your home network (LAN) will install updates from other PCs on the same network. Technically,
    when connected to a public wifi network, you are also on the LAN - would Windows Updates download from other PCs on the public wifi network?

It would be good to have clarification as I'd be happy with P2P download from my home LAN, but not from a public wifi network.

neilcq, Feb 22, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Updates on Local Network

Yeah - this is a great option. It does not entirely stop getting stuff from internet as it is basically a torrent system, but is much faster and much reduces download demand

A torrent system basically extacts bits of a file from multiple sources, so each serving pc does not have to upload whole file (uploading usually being slower than downloading), and receiving pc glues it all together again. So you might get 5 pcs uploading a fifth each of the file at the same time, and pc can download all five parts simultaneously as download is usually several times faster than upload. It actually works in much smaller increments, but the principle is the same.

I always update my fast pc first, leaving my other slower devices switched off. Then I turn on other devices, and you see the hdd flicking away as it serves the updates to the other devices.

Do not enable last option as it will 'steal' bandwidth from you.

cereberus, Feb 22, 2016
  5. zplugger Win User
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong,all the computer show up in homegroup. I can access all of them without problems, seems like if I do a security update on main computer it would go to the other computers?

zplugger, Feb 22, 2016
  6. zplugger Win User
    I'm I reading this wrong,will this do what I want?

zplugger, Feb 23, 2016
  7. zplugger Win User
    Does anyone have a answer for this?

zplugger, Feb 26, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Updates on Local Network

I am not sure about this setup. Just a WAG, but it seems to me that each computer needs to be able to talk to MS WU to learn that updates are available, (and therefore be connected to the internet); then the settings take over as to where those WUs come from. Like I said, not sure and just my opinion, but that's how I would think things would work.

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Updates on Local Network

1. Updates on Local Network - Similar Threads - Updates Local Network

2. Local Network Filesharing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local Network Filesharing: I and other people in the office cannot access the local filesharing from today. It used to work properly but for some reasons we cannot access it anymore. The error I get when I click on Fileshare is: The drive or network connection that the shortcut "Fileshare.Ink" refers...
  3. Local network setup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Local network setup: How to set up a local network in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-network-setup/b7189aa5-5f0e-4040-aeea-f423ecc7c5a4
  4. Local network

Local network: Since Microsoft removed HomeGroup I have been unable to connect my computers for File and Printer sharing. I have made sure all the settings are correct, I have found various suggestions about Services, none of which help. This is very frustrating, why can't they leave well...
  5. local network

local network: My local network does not have "homegroup" in has another group "2network" is there a way to add homegroup to this computer so I can logon to my existing network, my other computers are running win10 and win7....
  6. Update trashes my local network

Update trashes my local network: Why does each update remove my local network settings and replace them with what Windows seems to believe I want or need? I'm running Win 10 Pro on two computers and I want these to talk to each other, share files, etc. Shouldn't be that hard. However, after an update,...
  7. Local Network

Local Network: I have 2 laptops on a local network but while both are shown and connected on one laptop, only one is open, to be connected on the other laptop, despite the fact that the missing one is listed under other devices as not connected...
  8. Updates via Local Network

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates via Local Network: Hello I have (4) computers, I want to update only (01) PC via internet and the other via Local network with the option of Windows update . But it seems don't work with me ! I think I didn't build a well local network , The (3) PCs are connected to the router that's all,...
  9. Update all computer on local network.

Update all computer on local network.: Not sure if this is possible,but here we go. I have a computer with 3 hard drives installed,all 3 have Windows 10 installed on them. Lets say the drives are called Bill,Tom,Jane, when the computer boots you chose what drive to use,Bill is the main one. I have a Metered...
  10. Send updates to PCs on my local network

Send updates to PCs on my local network: [img] With the setting as shown on the attached screen shot, does the PC send updates to other PCs directly through router without passing through internet, i.e. does this setting save internet data volume? 70173