Windows 10: Updating .bat File, Removing Default Apps

Discus and support Updating .bat File, Removing Default Apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I haven't reinstalled Windows 10 or updated it in about a year. When I did, there were several new apps that are completely junk. I have a .bat file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SightUp, Nov 2, 2017.

1. SightUp Win User

Updating .bat File, Removing Default Apps

I haven't reinstalled Windows 10 or updated it in about a year. When I did, there were several new apps that are completely junk. I have a .bat file that I use to clean stuff up but it's a little outdated and I had to go into the Start menu and uninstall a few apps by hand.

Here is what I got.

I was hoping we could add a few things such as Connect, Get Help, Paint 3D, Sticky Notes, etc. Does anyone have an updated .bat file they can hook me up with?

:)

SightUp, Nov 2, 2017

2. Line of code that updates Windows?

I have a USB with a .bat file that updates office and other stuff, is there a line of code that i can have in my .bat file that updates windows?

Allen Masak1, Nov 2, 2017
  3. Why is there no MLB app for Windows Phone 8?

I have the MLB At Bat 14 app on my phone from last year. There is no At Bat 15 in the app store. I called the MLB support line, and they told me that the 14 app would still work for this year, but it is not. There is no audio option. I called them again
    about it, and they are saying that it is Microsoft's fault, that their updates won't support the 15 app, and even the 14 is removed from the store.

Who is to blame for no MLB app for Windows Phone 8? And how could Microsoft not work harder to have an app available or at least help them update the 14 app?

I'd really like to see this resolved.

DavidEWenning, Nov 2, 2017
  4. Updating .bat File, Removing Default Apps

Hi SightUp.

Don't have a bat file but step 4 in Option 2 will give you complete list and you can mod yours.

Uninstall Apps in Windows 10

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 2, 2017
  5. SightUp Win User
    Awesome. Two questions.

First, does "@rem Remove Apps" need to be on top? Or was that something extra that was added when I downloaded the original .bat?

Second, in the guide, it says "(To only remove XXX app from new accounts created afterwards)" Does this mean that it removes the package folder so it would actually end up saving space?

SightUp, Nov 2, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    By default, commands in a .bat file are echoed to the screen as they are executed. The @ sign in a .bat file says 'don't echo the command on this line'. The REM command is a 'remark' (all text that follows is a comment and not an executable command line). That line is therefore not shown on screen when you run the .bat and is just there to tell you what the purpose of the .bat file is.

Bree, Nov 2, 2017
  7. SightUp Win User
    So it's OK to delete it then?

SightUp, Nov 2, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Yes. It does nothing.

REM lines are useful though, you could add some of your own to say the date when you wrote the file, the version of windows it applies to, give it a revision number, or anything else you like to remind yourself of in the future.

Bree, Nov 2, 2017
  9. SightUp Win User
    Awesome. So I just need an answer to question number two!

SightUp, Nov 2, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    You are asking about Option Three in the tutorial Uninstall Apps in Windows 10 ?

For each app the first line of code uninstalls the app for current users. The second line where it says...
    ...includes a 'remove-appxprovisionedpackage' command which will indeed remove the install package and gain some space (not a lot, apps are not generally very large).

11. SightUp Win User
    I am getting that error due to the following command.

Can this not be done via .bat file?

SightUp, Nov 2, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    The tutorial says to run the commands in an elevated powershell. You'll probably need to run the .bat as an administrator, say from within an elevated command prompt.

13. SightUp Win User

"PowerShell -Command "

Is that the right thing? Or is that just the normal PowerShell?

SightUp, Nov 2, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    A .bat file runs in the command prompt environment: cmd.exe. From a command prompt you can run the normal powershell. If you type powershell in a command prompt window it runs poweshell until you type 'exit' to close powershell.

Each line in your .bat file is calling powershell and passing a command line for it to execute. If you run the .bat in a 'Command Prompt (Admin)' it should also run the powershell commands as administrator (which is required for them to work).

15. SightUp Win User
    This is the same as right clicking and running as admin.

SightUp, Nov 2, 2017
Thema:

1. Updating .bat File, Removing Default Apps - Similar Threads - Updating bat File

2. Why can't I set a default App for .bat files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I set a default App for .bat files?: I have read this question, as I also use vim for my editinghttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-set-default-app-for-filetypes-not-listed/b01cb589-f8e2-4186-a0f6-02ee0f15babeand searched and you can change the default open app for .bat files but have...
  3. Why can't I set a default App for .bat files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I set a default App for .bat files?: I have read this question, as I also use vim for my editinghttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-set-default-app-for-filetypes-not-listed/b01cb589-f8e2-4186-a0f6-02ee0f15babeand searched and you can change the default open app for .bat files but have...
  4. remove default app by file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    remove default app by file type: microsoft let the default app for .nds files internet explorer, does anyone know how to reset the default app for .nds files to none? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-default-app-by-file-type/314aba23-2f40-4dea-bfa6-2b579a31194a
  5. remove default app by file type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    remove default app by file type: microsoft let the default app for .nds files internet explorer, does anyone know how to reset the default app for .nds files to none? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-default-app-by-file-type/314aba23-2f40-4dea-bfa6-2b579a31194a
  6. remove default app by file type

7. Change default app with regedit or bat

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default app with regedit or bat: We have a gpo which sets the default app for pdf's, we do not want to change this, except for when a user runs a bat script without admin rights. I have been trying to make a .bat file that would change the default pdf program to reader with; ftype...
  8. Remove default app by file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove default app by file type: I accidentally used notepad to open pcm files and now i cant get notepad off it how can i disable it like making it go back to saying choose a default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-default-app-by-file-type/cd1b5fdf-c801-41aa-9e01-5938eaed3f8a
  9. Target removal through .bat file of remnant apps

Target removal through .bat file of remnant apps: I have comprised the following using the information provided on this site, a .bat file that removes all apps from local, other accounts and future accounts. Apps.zip However, upon launching CCleaner > Tools > Uninstall we have several remnants that are left behind we need...
  10. Adding the extra default apps to the .bat file.

Adding the extra default apps to the .bat file.: I have brought this up before. The present .bat commands are incomplete. I just reinstalled Windows 10 so I took a picture to show how I know and what I'd like to see updated, a before and after picture using CCleaner as it shows and allows you to uninstall what we cannot on...