Windows 10: Updating Computer Motherboard and Drives; Do I need a new activation key for Windows?

Discus and support Updating Computer Motherboard and Drives; Do I need a new activation key for Windows? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Tomorrow 4/2 i'll be fully building my new pc with new motherboard and cpu. I'd also be swapping to primarily a M.2 drive from HDD where current... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by тнєVιʟsнт, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Updating Computer Motherboard and Drives; Do I need a new activation key for Windows?

Tomorrow 4/2 i'll be fully building my new pc with new motherboard and cpu. I'd also be swapping to primarily a M.2 drive from HDD where current windows is installed. Is there a way to move over my current windows installation without having to buy a new activation or license for Windows10?

:)

тнєVιʟsнт, Apr 1, 2021

2. Windows 10 activation with new motherboard

I've tried contacting Microsoft support by both chat (twice) and phone, and none of it was helpful. And so I'm posting the problem here.

I have a laptop that was originally running Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month via the free upgrade option, and things were working fine for a while. However, a motherboard issue forced me to replace the motherboard yesterday. This also required me to move the old hard drive and CPU to the new motherboard.

Now, my problem is this: while I do still have Windows 10 installed on my device, it is an evaluation copy; it is not activated as the full product. Some research told me that the free W10 upgrade is linked to the device's hardware, something I didn't know. Since I'm using a different motherboard now, Microsoft apparently doesn't recognize that I DO own a full version of W10 courtesy of the free upgrade.

So now I'm wondering whether there is a way to transfer my W10 license to the new motherboard so it will activate. And before you ask/suggest anything:
    • My original sticker on the bottom of my computer with the W7 license key on it fell off a long time ago. So no, I don't have that.
    • I tried contacting Dell to get my original product key, and they refused to help me because I'm out of warranty, even though what I'm asking them for is very simple.

Any help is appreciated.

HotWingsFTW, Apr 1, 2021
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    Hard Drive ported to new computer, activation key stopped working

Apparently change the motherboard and Microsoft thinks you have whole new computer that needs a whole new key.

But being its a purchased win7 .. you can move that key to a new computer with phone call to activate your win7. Just put win7 on some old hard drive and get it activated on the new motherboard then you can use the win7 key to activate the old hard drive
    win10 install.

If I look at my account.microsoft.com Devices, My Devices

it shows my motherboard serial number .

I've changed cpu's/hard drives/ram's, wifi cards, display, keyboard,,,, just about everything piece by piece several times in my laptop and never lost activation .. but never changed the motherboard.

'Mike P, Apr 1, 2021
  4. Updating Computer Motherboard and Drives; Do I need a new activation key for Windows?

Hard Drive ported to new computer, activation key stopped working

Awhile back, my partner built himself and me custom computers. We bought Windows 7 for them. We did the upgrade to Windows 10. A few days ago, his computer's motherboard died. So he built himself a new custom computer, but kept the hard drive from his old
    one. His computer is claiming that his activation key is invalid.

Why did the activation status suddenly change? All we did was move the hard drive. We did not reinstall windows. Is the activation key attached to a different part of the computer? What part do we need to move into the new computer to keep the activation
    key? If it's the motherboard, we're screwed...

Oyuno Miyumi, Apr 1, 2021
Thema:

Updating Computer Motherboard and Drives; Do I need a new activation key for Windows?

1. Updating Computer Motherboard and Drives; Do I need a new activation key for Windows? - Similar Threads - Updating Computer Motherboard

2. Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?: I'm currently running Windows 10 Home. I just bought some new PC components CPU, motherboard, RAM. Do I need a new windows 10 activation key or can I use the one on my current system?...
  3. Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?: I'm currently running Windows 10 Home. I just bought some new PC components CPU, motherboard, RAM. Do I need a new windows 10 activation key or can I use the one on my current system?...
  4. Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Error activating windows key on new motherboard

Error activating windows key on new motherboard: I recently bought a new motherboard but forgot to deactivate my Windows 10 Home key on my other motherboard. I returned that motherboard to Microcenter My new motherboard was installed up at Microcenter store and the PC technician told me I would have to contact Microsoft...
  6. Transfer Activation Key after new Motherboard

Transfer Activation Key after new Motherboard: I built a PC a month ago and activated Windows 10 pro on it. Last week I had to replace the motherboard and now my key doesn't work. I called Microsoft support to transfer the key and they said the key was exhausted. I only used it once, but maybe it was used somehow before I...
  7. New motherboard - Do I need a new win10 licence?

New motherboard - Do I need a new win10 licence?: Hello all, very recently, my computer slurped up a malware and I had to wipe the hard drives and reinstall windows. On a whim, I decided to upgrade from win 7 to win 10 pro, so I bought a licence. At the same time I got a "great" idea of upgrading most of the PC hardware, so...
  8. Do I need activation key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do I need activation key?: So I bought my computer with windows 10 pre-installed. However, I had problems with it recently. An IT guy told me it's probably an OS problem. So basically my question is: doI need the activation key if I were to reinstall windows 10? It's important to note that I can't...
  9. Windows key won't activate after new motherboard

Windows key won't activate after new motherboard: We changed the CPU, GPU, motherboard and Ram. I had purchased my key as a windows 8 upgrade. I have medical reasons and can't call the recording. It can't hear me. So I didn't get a product key. What do I do now?...
  10. Replacing my motherboard, need to reformat my drives. Do I need a new windows key?

Replacing my motherboard, need to reformat my drives. Do I need a new windows key?: Hello all, i have windows 10 on my desktop. My processor is burning out so I've got a new motherboard and processor to put in, however after reading online most people say that ill need a new product key but if i call customer support they should be able to help me. Now...