Windows 10: Updating Drivers: Let Windows or Use Mfr Updates?

Discus and support Updating Drivers: Let Windows or Use Mfr Updates? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win 10 Pro 1909 (18363.752) Things have gotten so complex and I'm confused about best practices. Should I let Windows manage all driver updates (via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Silky, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Silky Win User

Updating Drivers: Let Windows or Use Mfr Updates?

Win 10 Pro 1909 (18363.752)

Things have gotten so complex and I'm confused about best practices. Should I let Windows manage all driver updates (via "push") or should I be updating drivers from the Mfr website ("pull")?

Example: I have an Acer tower. If I go to the Acer support site and punch in my computer's serial number, it lists a boatload of driver updates available - all from 2017. I bought the machine in April of 2019 so I don't know whether I need to install these, or just let Windows handle it. It *used* to be that the most reliable source for driver updates came from the manufacturer; I don't know if that's still true. To add to my confusion, the Acer site has the following statement: "After upgrading to Windows 10, if there are any drivers that haven't been installed, please run Windows Update to install the appropriate drivers." What does *that* mean?

Look at these partial screenshots:

Updating Drivers: Let Windows or Use Mfr Updates? [​IMG]

Updating Drivers: Let Windows or Use Mfr Updates? [​IMG]

AMT Driver? Do I need that? This is a home machine, not managed by IT, so is it even applicable? From the site, it appears that it's up to me to figure out. There are two bluetooth drivers... which one? Then there are chipset drivers, ya-da, ya-da, ya-da...

I would appreciate a little guidance on "best practices" on these sorts of updates so I don't go poking around and end up regretting what I do with these.

Thoughts?

:)

Silky, Apr 8, 2020
  2. btarunr Win User

NVIDIA Adds Windows 8 to GeForce Driver Update Stack

AMD may have been the first to be out with drivers for its Radeon GPUs that are optimized for Windows 8 (WDDM 1.2), but NVIDIA went a step ahead of "special-releases" for its GeForce drivers, and added Windows 8 to its update stack, meaning that Windows 8 will feature in the list of operating systems to pick from, to download drivers. NVIDIA will constantly update these drivers along with mainline releases for Windows 7/Vista and XP. The latest such driver is 296.17. This driver supports GeForce and Quadro GPUs, and according to NVIDIA, is a quick-update over 295.73 WHQL, with the addition of performance optimization for Blacklight: Retribution.

Updating Drivers: Let Windows or Use Mfr Updates? 152a_thm.jpg

Source: VR-Zone

btarunr, Apr 8, 2020
  3. XVI
    xvi Win User
    Driver update software

Windows Update should have a considerable amount of good drivers. They'll be listed under the "Optional Updates" section. That should give you rather good functionality right off the bat. If it's a branded PC, latest drivers will likely have to come from the manufacturer's website. For the most part, built-in drivers should be Good Enough™

I don't think I've run across an automagic driver installer that wasn't loaded with malware.

4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Apr 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Updating Drivers: Let Windows or Use Mfr Updates? - Similar Threads - Updating Drivers Let

2. Hybrid Graphics Notebook. Should I let Windows Update update drivers?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hybrid Graphics Notebook. Should I let Windows Update update drivers?: Here is my Lenovo IdeaPad 330s-15ikb 81F500GYHV with Intel Core i5-8250u, Intel UHD 620 and AMD Radeon 540 switchable hybrid graphic system I have installed the recommended drivers from Lenovo.com , precisely from HERE (serial number omitted, but should still refer to the...
  3. Windows will not let me update to a clearly newer driver.

Windows will not let me update to a clearly newer driver.: I installed an Asus AX3000 dual band PCE-AX58BT WI-FI PCI-E Adapter onto my Asus TUF X570 Plus MOBO. I do not have a cd rom to install the driver that way. Windows installs a garbage Intel driver from 2019 that constantly crashes my system. I have downloaded the latest driver...
  4. Windows won't let me install updated drivers... Help? :-(

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won't let me install updated drivers... Help? :-(: Hello! Really hoping someone can help... My computer suddenly won't let me install new, updated drivers. I typically use DriverEasy and it let me know yesterday that some devices needed updating (including my graphics card), so I clicked to allow all the updates, but it then...
  5. Updating Drivers: Let Windows or Use Mfr Updates?

Updating Drivers: Let Windows or Use Mfr Updates?: Win 10 Pro 1909 (18363.752) Things have gotten so complex and I'm confused about best practices. Should I let Windows manage all driver updates (via "push") or should I be updating drivers from the Mfr website ("pull")? Example: I have an Acer tower. If I go to the Acer...
  6. Want to let Avast update drivers

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Want to let Avast update drivers: I want to have Avast update my drivers but can't get past Windows Defender. How can I fix this or make Avast excluded from being blocked? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/want-to-let-avast-update-drivers/6dd3c540-3105-4003-ad4c-5875ecdaedc2"
  7. Mouse using wrong drivers and will not let me update them

Mouse using wrong drivers and will not let me update them: I currently have a Redragonite 16400 dpi perdition M901W mouse. when I connect my mouse it shows in device manager as HID-complaint mouse. I have confirmed with redragon support that I have the correct driver installed for this mouse, however when I click update driver in...
  8. Windows Wont Let Me Update Driver

Windows Wont Let Me Update Driver: I use Driver Easy to update my drivers. Today it had 2 Realtek drivers that needed updating. One updated without problem. The other won't update. What I mean to say is windows won't let me update. It says the best driver is already installed. How can I force windows to accept...
  9. windows update drivers and let them install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows update drivers and let them install: my headphones are paired and work but the sound is intermitted. My device diagnostic results are windows update configured to never install drivers. How do change this to install new drivers...
  10. It's sure to let Windows update to update drivers?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    It's sure to let Windows update to update drivers?: Hello, maybe I am too old for trust, but in my Windows 10 computer I always DISABLE the automatic driver update. I will always disable it, even if I understood that is safe. What I am asking here is about the manual driver update that you can reach by the "device...