Windows 10: Updating from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

Discus and support Updating from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My old laptop was running Windows 8.1 and I wanted to update it to Windows 10. I downloaded the media tool and waited for everything to be ready.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/axi_el, Jan 24, 2021.

1. /u/axi_el Win User

Updating from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

My old laptop was running Windows 8.1 and I wanted to update it to Windows 10. I downloaded the media tool and waited for everything to be ready. After, a screen popped up telling me to insert a product key, though I heard that you could install Windows 10 for free without a product key or activating it. There were no buttons to skip product key, unlike what I had seen in a video.

Th only option I had was to input a product key, the back and next buttons were greyed out and there were no other buttons for me to press. I don’t a drive so I can’t download it from a drive.

Help would be appreciated.

submitted by /u/axi_el
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/axi_el, Jan 24, 2021

2. Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

I agree 8 is awful! It's not for me though... I replaced a broken screen in a Win 8 laptop that was given to me and I am going to give it for free to someone that can't afford one so they can do homework at home. Yes I took it from 8 to 8.1 back on 10/09/2014. This is what I posted there...

"Great post! I found a similar one. I would like to point out that you may want to edit your OP...

1. Step 1 should read to disable AUTOMATIC updates, not disable manual updates.

2. KB2871398 should really read KB2871389

I would like to say that KB2917499 may also be needed as it was in my case. I also had to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter after installing those 2 updates. After these steps I was able to begin my 8.1 download from the Microsoft store. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but I also went into the Bios and disabled "Secure Boot."

It was a helpful post. Thanks!

BlackHawk1, Jan 24, 2021
  3. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Jan 24, 2021
  4. Scrizz Win User

Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Jan 24, 2021
Thema:

1. Updating from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Updating

2. Have you guys noticed that most of you have issues because of Microsoft Updates? How can we...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Have you guys noticed that most of you have issues because of Microsoft Updates? How can we...: Everytime that I have a PC issues it's because, Microsoft tried to update or upgrade me without my permission. Every 2 or 3 years they do this and break my PC and are never around to repair it. I wonder has it ever dawn on them that everyone doesn't want their Win 11 upgrade....
  3. Have you guys noticed that most of you have issues because of Microsoft Updates? How can we...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Have you guys noticed that most of you have issues because of Microsoft Updates? How can we...: Everytime that I have a PC issues it's because, Microsoft tried to update or upgrade me without my permission. Every 2 or 3 years they do this and break my PC and are never around to repair it. I wonder has it ever dawn on them that everyone doesn't want their Win 11 upgrade....
  4. Have you guys noticed that most of you have issues because of Microsoft Updates? How can we...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. my microsoft store doesnt work or my windows update thing and it says owned but the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my microsoft store doesnt work or my windows update thing and it says owned but the...: zpls help me with this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-microsoft-store-doesnt-work-or-my-windows/e1a307e5-b5b6-4839-93ff-ef36b3808760
  6. my microsoft store doesnt work or my windows update thing and it says owned but the...

my microsoft store doesnt work or my windows update thing and it says owned but the...: zpls help me with this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-microsoft-store-doesnt-work-or-my-windows/e1a307e5-b5b6-4839-93ff-ef36b3808760
  7. my microsoft store doesnt work or my windows update thing and it says owned but the...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Screen has yellow tint/muddy color after windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen has yellow tint/muddy color after windows 11 update: I use an asus vivobook laptop x509da d509da with windows 11 and I've been looking through my computer, checking for any updates I had to do ,I've found a windows update and 2 driver updates 2024-04 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems...
  9. Screen has yellow tint/muddy color after windows 11 update

Screen has yellow tint/muddy color after windows 11 update: I use an asus vivobook laptop x509da d509da with windows 11 and I've been looking through my computer, checking for any updates I had to do ,I've found a windows update and 2 driver updates 2024-04 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems...
  10. I started doing to windows 11 update and it’s restarted and has been on 0% for the past 1.5...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I started doing to windows 11 update and it’s restarted and has been on 0% for the past 1.5...: Why is my update taking so long. I have assignments to do and I decided to do it now so that it would be done by the morning but nothing is happening...