Windows 10: Updating Monitor from "generic PnP" driver to manufacturer driver

Discus and support Updating Monitor from "generic PnP" driver to manufacturer driver in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am trying to update my Acer Predator XB1 monitors driver. I have the file downloaded and I can locate the folder within device manager but it will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by spikbeatz, Nov 22, 2018.

1. spikbeatz Win User

Updating Monitor from "generic PnP" driver to manufacturer driver

I am trying to update my Acer Predator XB1 monitors driver. I have the file downloaded and I can locate the folder within device manager but it will not install the driver. I keeps saying "windows has determined the most up to date driver is installed already...."

I also do not have the option to "uninstall driver" in device manager. It is grayed out.

Anyone have suggestions to force windows to update that driver?

:)

spikbeatz, Nov 22, 2018
  2. Anne Ros Win User

What is generic pnp monitor driver?

Hi,

Generic PnP monitor, as the word itself, is a general monitor driver installed in your device. It is a driver installed by the device and that component should work fine, though perhaps not as much functionality as the manufacturer's drivers.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Anne Ros, Nov 22, 2018
  3. What is generic pnp monitor driver?

I connect my laptop to Dell monitor, I use only 2 screen in setting but my FPS is decrease. When I disable generic pnp monitor driver, FPS is normal. Why? What is generic pnp monitor driver?

Thiên Nguyễn, Nov 22, 2018
  4. JimAC_55 Win User

Replace Generic PnP Monitor Driver in Windows 10

This is a desktop running Windows 10, version 1803, with an AOC monitor. I'm trying to update a generic Windows driver from 2006 with a manufacturer's driver from 2013, but Windows keeps telling me that the best driver is already installed.

When I go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers, my monitor appears as 2269W (the actual model is i2269Vw). When I check Properties, a "2269W Properties" windows opens with two tabs, General and Hardware. The General tab also shows the
    model as 2269, while the Hardware tab shows the Name as "Generic PnP Monitor".

The Hardware tab has its own Properties button, which brings up a "Generic PnP Monitor Properties" window with four tabs; General, Driver, Details, and Events. The Driver tab shows the driver as a Microsoft driver dated 6/21/2006, version 10.0.17134.1.
    The "Driver Details" button opens a "Driver File Details" window showing the driver file as "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\monitor.sys".

In the Driver tab, only the "Driver Details" button is active; the others, including "Update Driver", are grayed out. However, when I go back to the "Generic PnP Monitor Properties" window, the General tab has a "Change settings" button, which also brings
    up a "Generic PnP Monitor Properties" window, but on this one the buttons are active, including "Update Driver", except for the "Roll Back Driver" button.

When I select "Update Driver", a window opens offering the choice between searching automatically for updated driver software, or browsing my computer. When I select browsing, navigate to the folder where I've downloaded and extracted the driver file for
    this monitor from the AOC website, and select "Next", a window opens telling me that "The best drivers for your device are already installed", with the options to either search for updated drivers on Windows Update, or close. (My Windows 10 is fully up-to-date.)

I have a hard time believing that a generic Windows driver from 2006 is better than a manufacturer's driver from 2013, but can't find any way to install the AOC driver. I though about deleting the monitor.sys file and copying the manufacturer's *.icm and
    *.inf files into the DRIVERS folder, but am hesitant because there are no other files of either format in that folder.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JimAC_55, Nov 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Updating Monitor from "generic PnP" driver to manufacturer driver - Similar Threads - Updating Monitor generic

2. Flicker ghost monitor driver "generic non-pnp monitor"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flicker ghost monitor driver "generic non-pnp monitor": Anyone know how to remove this flicker driver "generic non-pnp monitor"?it is a ghost driver monitor. Its keeping uninstall then reinstall again over and over that make screen got delay. its happen when i play any heavy games .I have tried DDu and install lastest graphic...
  3. Flicker ghost monitor driver "generic non-pnp monitor"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Flicker ghost monitor driver "generic non-pnp monitor": Anyone know how to remove this flicker driver "generic non-pnp monitor"?it is a ghost driver monitor. Its keeping uninstall then reinstall again over and over that make screen got delay. its happen when i play any heavy games .I have tried DDu and install lastest graphic...
  4. Flicker ghost monitor driver "generic non-pnp monitor"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Generic PnP monitor driver defects

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Generic PnP monitor driver defects: I have 2 Samsung monitors on my Win10 64 bit Nvidia Quattro1000 system. From the Device manager, it is impossible to tell which of the two listed drivers is driving which monitor. However, one of them has a very sticky Generic driver, which causes colour differnces between...
  6. Generic PnP monitor driver defects

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Generic PnP monitor driver defects: I have 2 Samsung monitors on my Win10 64 bit Nvidia Quattro1000 system. From the Device manager, it is impossible to tell which of the two listed drivers is driving which monitor. However, one of them has a very sticky Generic driver, which causes colour differnces between...
  7. Generic PnP monitor driver defects

8. Generic PnP Monitor driver issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Generic PnP Monitor driver issue: So I have this very annoying issue where I have to use the 2006 version of the PnP Monitor driver, because updating it to the 2019 version does more harm than good. More specifically, I can no longer adjust my brightness. Does anyone have a similar issue, or a solution for...
  9. Generic PNP Monitor Drivers

Generic PNP Monitor Drivers: Want to operate Panasonic PT-L300U projector DVI input from 2017 HP laptop; a 2006 Dell PC successfully drives it. Both laptop and PC are Windows 10. Both laptop and PC drive old DVI monitor; laptop via HDMI to DVI cable; PC by DVI/DVI cable. In Device Manager when...
  10. Replace Generic PnP Monitor Driver in Windows 10

Replace Generic PnP Monitor Driver in Windows 10: This is a desktop running Windows 10, version 1803, with an AOC monitor. I'm trying to update a generic Windows driver from 2006 with a manufacturer's driver from 2013, but Windows keeps telling me that the best driver is already installed. When I go to Control...