Windows 10: updating my BIOS to support UEFI , I need to clean install W/10

Discus and support updating my BIOS to support UEFI , I need to clean install W/10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Only thing that will happen when you upgrade your BIOS is that it improves stability, adds support for new hardware, improves performance and add a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by C0zzie, Aug 6, 2017.

1. updating my BIOS to support UEFI , I need to clean install W/10

Only thing that will happen when you upgrade your BIOS is that it improves stability, adds support for new hardware, improves performance and add a few new feature.

Support for BIOS/MBR boot (Legacy Boot) will still remain. If for some reason the BIOS upgrade changes from Legacy boot into UEFI boot, you can always enter BIOS setup and switch it back to legacy mode and save the new setting. It is however unlikely this will happen.

BIOS v1.7 should improve memory stability, since it seems this particular MB has had some issues with certain RAM.

You will however NOT gain anything by switching to UEFI/GPT, if you only have one instance of Windows installed.

slicendice, Aug 6, 2017
  2. C0zzie Win User

I have not flashed my BIOS before but I have seen many video tuts.
    Go to BIOS, select m-flash and let it update. Then insert USB with W/10 bootable files and re-download that. I am a little scared

I have had Windows on this PC always. Had W/10 just before the free upgraded ended and its been all fine. Background info on my issue:

So after Windows update I recieved black screen with "personalised settings (not responding)". Microsoft advised I re-install Windows (whilst keeping files and software). So I did .

After update was complete (after about 3 hours), it brought me to my Dekstop. The Windows Start menu was bugged, I couldnt click it. So I went to shutdown my PC and recieved a "Task Host is stopping background tasks" (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windo...) but as I was going to bed I forced shutdown. I turned my PC on and AGAIN the black screen issue was there.

So I spoke to Microsoft officials, they used remote access and somehow fixed it just by pressing 'ctrl, alt, dlt'. That removed black screen with "personalised settings (not responding)". and brought me to desktop.

Microsoft support have told me that the reason this issue with black screen happens, is because of RAM issues. I need more of it.

(PC specs)

updating my BIOS to support UEFI , I need to clean install W/10 [​IMG]

C0zzie, Aug 6, 2017
  3. I can with almost 100% confidence tell you that this is a Windows issue, not a RAM or hardware issue.

What you experience seems to be something that is very common.

Upgrading your BIOS won't hurt. So do that. But don't touch Windows just yet.

I believe something went wrong during the upgrade process, most likely because of some AV software interfering with the upgrade or FastBoot had corruptions...oh gosh there are so many reasons....

You have 2 options now:
    • Try to fix current Windows installation
    • Wipe your whole boot drive and reinstall latest Windows from scratch.

Fixing Windows can take a lot of time
    Reinstalling whole Windows is fast but is not guaranteed to solve your issue.

What kind of GPU have you installed? That could also be the cause... Your GPU could also be a problem, causing you black screens. I've had a lot of issues with my nVidia GT-540M that sometimes works and sometimes does not...

slicendice, Aug 6, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

updating my BIOS to support UEFI , I need to clean install W/10

As stated by several here - legacy BIOS mode versus UEFI booting mode will not solve your RAM issue in the least. That has no affect on how RAM is used. Upgrading the BIOS (which is actually UEFI firmware now, not BIOS) by flashing might solve the issue. And as @slicendice stated upgrading your BIOS by flashing will not change your ability to boot either in legacy BIOS mode (which it is now) or UEFI mode - you just can't switch to UEFI mode until you convert your hard drive to the format required, but legacy BIOS mode will still be there just like it is now.

I would start by flashing the upgraded BIOS and leave it in legacy BIOS booting mode and see what happens.

NavyLCDR, Aug 6, 2017
  5. AddRAM Win User
    You have 8 GB, that is plenty enough to run Windows 10.

You mention some strange version numbers, what version are you trying to run.

The Anniversary Update is 1607 ( my personal favorite ) and 1703 is the Creator`s Update.

AddRAM, Aug 6, 2017
  6. Agreed, plenty of RAM, supported CPU. Nothing to worry about there. Could be that you still have some device drivers installed that latest Windows does not like.

I also see that servicehost is running...let it complete...it will settle down eventually

slicendice, Aug 6, 2017
  7. AddRAM Win User
    I agree with everyone else, go ahead and flash your Bios if you feel you`re ready (do the research first) after you`ve done that, set it to defaults. Then make sure your memory is seated properly and see how windows performs.

AddRAM, Aug 6, 2017
  8. updating my BIOS to support UEFI , I need to clean install W/10

One thing before you do anything else.

Disable SuperFetch and reboot machine, and see how your computer performs:

• Go to Services (press Windows key and type Services)
    • Find Superfetch service
    • Disable Superfetch (Startup Type set to disabled)
    • Stop Superfetch (Click the Stop Button)
    • See how Windows performs
    • Reboot
    • See how Windows performs now

I have marked important parts with red boxes:

slicendice, Aug 6, 2017
  9. C0zzie Win User
    -The Windows start menu bug (which was fixed and was not my main issue, its all fine now)..I know its quite commnon and its due to Windows update problem. But the "personalised settings (not responding)" is the main issue ...which is why RAM was mentioned to me. I dont want that happening again, right now its like I am waiting for that issue to occur but I want to stop it for good.

I recieved "personalised settings (not responding)" after I had to "update and shutdown/restart" on 3 'random' seperate occassions. And this was shown at start menu 3 separate times after strangely defragging my PC. So I also thought it was a defraggler issue

-I have GTX760 but surely I dont have to continuously update my graphics driver?

-I have windows 1703. When I recieved the "personalised settings (not responding)", I got Microsoft to reinstall Windows 10 creators update for me again. Windows update history shows it was fine. But when I restarted PC, with the issue of it not shutting down due to task manager having something running in background, I forced shutdown, and restarted and received the "personalised settings (not responding)" again (sorry if I am repeating myself)

-The 'servicehost:superfetch disk usage 100% that was a few days ago. Its not there anymore, I dont think its an issue now

Hope this helps :/

C0zzie, Aug 6, 2017
  10. I think you should keep using Windows for a while and report back once you find something that is not quite right. After every Windows upgrade, Windows needs some time to optimize things. Because you have Avast interfering with all the disk writes and reads, it can take quite some time. But eventually it should settle down.

slicendice, Aug 6, 2017
  11. AddRAM Win User
    Upgrading your video driver is another "up to you" option, I always install the latest nvidia graphics driver.

AddRAM, Aug 6, 2017
  12. I always install the latest nVidia Driver Windows wants me to have. If that one does not work I try the latest from nVidia. If that one does not work I experiment with a few known to work drivers till I find one that does work or can draw the conclusion that the driver is not the issue...and I disable the whole nVidia display driver alltogether and go with integrated graphics. My GT-540M is so pathetic that I don't need it for anything really. A GTX970 is a different story though, worth fighting to get it working. *Smile

slicendice, Aug 6, 2017
  13. C0zzie Win User

Ok so have you guys come across "personalised settings (not responding)" after the 3 (not sure if random) Windows updates and how to fix it? If its definately not RAM then what could it be as other have said its RAM? Like I said, I recieved it after I even reinstalled Windows last week, but due to task manager running something as well when I shut down?

Also what is my final solution..steps I need to do? Some of you said flash bios and leave windows as legacy, some said flash and reinstall W/10 (I think), some said leave it as it is etc. Sorry to carry on asking, I dont want to do something dangerous.

P.S If it requires reinstalling Windows, I guess I dont mind. I like a clean install, and its an excuse to buy SSD

And I l totally respect all your opinions, comments and help, its nice to know there are people out there who care and give their free time to help people in sticky situations like I am *Smile <3

C0zzie, Aug 6, 2017
  14. Yes, disable Avast or any AV while personalized settings are configured. I also recommend disabling AV while upgrading to next Edition of Windows. AVs are the main reason many Upgrades fail or are extremely slow to complete. After upgrade is done and all settings are configured and optimized, re-enable AV again.

If you are scared you got an infection while upgrading, then do a FULL offline scan of your system right after the system has settled down. It is highly unlikely you get any infections through Windows Update.

slicendice, Aug 6, 2017
  15. AddRAM Win User
    My upgrades to the AU and the CU were flawless. I usually do a clean install after the upgrade, but you have to keep starting over again, so I just deleted my windows.old folder and the Recovery partition after the CU and it`s running great.

Of course I make images before any upgrade and once again after I do my customizing on the new version.

I held onto the AU for as long as possible and I upgraded to the CU about 2 weeks ago. I set mine to Defer Feature updates to 365 days, after the Fall CU is out for a few months, I`ll change that.

AddRAM, Aug 6, 2017
Thema:

1. updating my BIOS to support UEFI , I need to clean install W/10 - Similar Threads - updating BIOS support

2. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 with AMD Ryzen 5, it's only one year and 3 days old. In April, Lenovo released a security advisory stating that their devices had 3 bios or UEFI related vulnerabilities, that allowed a virus to rewrite the SPI and deactivate the UEFI among other...
  3. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 with AMD Ryzen 5, it's only one year and 3 days old. In April, Lenovo released a security advisory stating that their devices had 3 bios or UEFI related vulnerabilities, that allowed a virus to rewrite the SPI and deactivate the UEFI among other...
  4. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Clean Install of Windows 10 After UEFI bios Update?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Clean Install of Windows 10 After UEFI bios Update?: Been Experiencing Slow File Transfers with USB 3.2 Gen 1 Ports, Contacted Gigabyte esupport, there response was if after updating F5D Uefi bios a clean install wasn't done, We suggest you do that, and update all the drivers, and supposely might make USB file transfers work...
  6. Is it possible to upgrade the bios of my pc (which has no uefi) to a bios with uefi? I need...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to upgrade the bios of my pc (which has no uefi) to a bios with uefi? I need...: Above explained submitted by /u/NotoriousO [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k8lu14/is_it_possible_to_upgrade_the_bios_of_my_pc_which/
  7. Windows 10 Clean Install - Legacy BIOS/MBR vs. UEFI/GPT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Clean Install - Legacy BIOS/MBR vs. UEFI/GPT: My computer is several years old, but the main boot drive was replaced less than 3 months ago. Earlier this week an attempt to apply the version 2004 update rendered the computer unbootable 0xc0000098. After much googling, trying many things, and a help forum thread, I ended...
  8. Will doing a clean Windows 10 install fix UEFI firmware not supported?

Will doing a clean Windows 10 install fix UEFI firmware not supported?: Hi, so I actually have two problems and I’m thinking the only way to fix both of them may be to reinstall Windows 10, but i want to make sure before I go through with that. Problem 1: A few days ago the power flashed while I was using my computer and when it came back on my...
  9. clean install with anniversary update & disk conversion BIOS to UEFI

clean install with anniversary update & disk conversion BIOS to UEFI: I have an existing Windows 10 Pro installation. My partitions are: system reserved: 500 mb C: boot, page file, primary partition E: logical drive F: logical drive I would like to do a clean install with WIN 10 Anniversary Update (1607), and convert my disk from BIOS to...
  10. Clean install in BIOS Legacy or UEFI? Activation & Language Change?

Clean install in BIOS Legacy or UEFI? Activation & Language Change?: Hello, currently I have the upgraded Windows 10 Pro Spanish 32-bit activated from Windows 7 Spanish OEM 32-bit on a 2011 HP ProBook 6550b LATAM which I guess has the digital entitlement since no keys were entered. I would like to clean install & format the drive using the USB...