Windows 10: Updating to 1809 - Black Screen with Cursor :(

Discus and support Updating to 1809 - Black Screen with Cursor :( in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey! I've been trying to Update to my machines to 1809, but with barely any success so far. The Issue im facing right now, is that all local accounts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by WellMix, Feb 11, 2019.

1. WellMix Win User

Updating to 1809 - Black Screen with Cursor :(

Hey!

I've been trying to Update to my machines to 1809, but with barely any success so far.
    The Issue im facing right now, is that all local accounts (new ones and old ones), face a roughly 90 second black screen after logging in. The cursor is visible in the meantime and I can open the taskmanager in the background for example, but all windows will fail to show until the ~90 seconds have passed. After that, everything is back to normal. While this error occurs on local accounts, domain users are not affected at all, which makes me wonder where the Issue persists from - I would have expected Issues the other way around..

Things I've tried so far:
    Disable App-Readiness;
    Ensure that explorer.exe is beeing called as the in the registry as well as reneweing that entry as suggest in several posts;
    All of the DISM, CHKDSK, SFC /scannow and so on commands, no changes here.
    Updating from 1709 to 1803 to 1809 instead of 1709 to 1809 (This problem does not exist after updating to 1803);
    The usual Driver and Runtime Stuff, updating them, fully removing them, testing them in different constellations.;
    Disabling Fast-Boot;
    Booting into Secure Mode - Login works fine here;
    Performing a "clean mode" as suggested by Microsoft - Error persists;
    Disabling any Antivirus - No Changes;

I figured that the Issue does not come from the explorer.exe beeing delayed but the Sihost.exe beeing at fault here - If I execute the sihost.exe (blind since the screen is still black) within the 90 second window that the screen stays black, I can see the screen flicker for half a second, showing the desktop as it should be, before returning into beeing dark. If I execute the Sihost after the 90 seconds, so when things operate normally, the screen will go black again for the 90 seconds it takes. There is not much variation within the black screen times, whole login takes between 92 and 94 seconds (measured several times), starting the sihost after everything works takes exactly 90 seconds - Could it be running in some sort of timeout? Where should I check?

Anyone else facing this or an similar Issue?

:)

WellMix, Feb 11, 2019
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Feb 11, 2019
  3. Black screen with cursor after Windows 10 update

Cyril Robinson AzariahJ, Feb 11, 2019
  4. Updating to 1809 - Black Screen with Cursor :(

Black screen with flashing cursor

Hello Betsy,

A black screen can occur in a number of scenarios on Windows 10, it's possibly caused by the graphics driver, a connection problem between with your computer's display, during an update or installation, etc.

For us to better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • Were there any recent changes made prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we recommend performing the steps on this article
    to troubleshoot black screen issues on Windows 10.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

Updating to 1809 - Black Screen with Cursor :(

1. Updating to 1809 - Black Screen with Cursor :( - Similar Threads - Updating 1809 Black

2. Black Screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen with cursor: Hello,tonight I install the 22H2 update all fine and turn off the PC, today I turn on and after the boot I get black screen with cursor blinking in the top left corner, what's happening?From pc boot menu it's the same, I select the SSD disk and nothing happens... Note: If I...
  3. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen with cursor: Hello,I have a problem with my computer. When I turn it on, the screen is black and I can only see the cursor. I've found that this question has been asked before like in here:...
  4. Black screen with a cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen with a cursor: When I turn on my pc Windows 10 all I see is a black screen but I can see the cursor and I cant open task manager and can’t start it using safe mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-with-a-cursor/31c6ac8e-7e78-4b45-99dc-6f9d4422757d
  5. Black Screen with Cursor after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen with Cursor after update: Hi I'm now getting a black screen with the cursor displayed after updating Windows 10. I cannot access the task manager or boot in safe mode. Which is all the suggested fixes I can find. How can I fix this?...
  6. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen with cursor: I have installed windows 10 and after login there's only black screen with a cursor. I haven't installed any apps on it and I have no idea what could've caused it. I have tried various fixes but none work. I can open task manager. When I try to run explorer task it appears...
  7. Black Screen With Cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen With Cursor: Hello, So today I turned on my computer and it was updating and sec later the power went off. When I turned it back again it asked me to select my keyboard language after that it showed me some options like troubleshoot so I clicked at troubleshoot and selected startup...
  8. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Black screen with cursor: Living in Fear: Updated to Ten (Gateway SX-2800), it worked for a month. After an update came black screen with cursor. TenForum solution (3 shutdowns before full start) and restart fixed. Updated video and other drivers. Another update event, happened again, this time...
  9. Black screen with cursor.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen with cursor.: Hi, I am prajwal , my PC is facing a problem.when I installed drivers in my PC, after that screen had become black with cursor , I could not able to do anything, I can't see task manager too.So I want to format my PC.But I want to back up all my stuffs.What and how I should...
  10. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen with cursor: My Windows 10 was running perfectly well for one full week. Then this morning I noticed it installed some update and after reboot the screen went black and the cursor appeared. I tried every thing but nothing helped. I cannot even access the troubleshooting, bios, repair,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. update 1809 black screen flashing cursor