Windows 10: Updating to 1903 killed Start menu type-find on 5 different PCs

Discus and support Updating to 1903 killed Start menu type-find on 5 different PCs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just updated to 1903 on 5 of my Windows 10-64 Pro machines (each different hardware, laptop, desktop). On all 5, Start menu type-find has died. To... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JayNYC, Aug 21, 2019.

1. JayNYC Win User

Updating to 1903 killed Start menu type-find on 5 different PCs

I just updated to 1903 on 5 of my Windows 10-64 Pro machines (each different hardware, laptop, desktop).
    On all 5, Start menu type-find has died.

To be clear, I can press the Windows key or left click on the Start menu, it pops up, but I cannot type any keys to actually search/find an application.

I have determined that restarting Windows Explorer via Task Manager fixes the problem (restores type-find) but then it eventually stops working again (sometimes within minutes), requiring me to restart Windows Explorer multiple times in a session.

Does anyone know of an actual permanent fix to make Start menu type-find work permanently with 1903?

thanks

:)

JayNYC, Aug 21, 2019

2. Kill the letters! (Start menu apps list.)

One final hack/adjustment and I will be at peace.
    So far no-one has come up with a way to remove the stupid letters from the start menu apps list... have they?

Please do NOT suggest third part apps.
    I value the right click menu features on the Start button and all the third party Start Menu apps screw with this.
    I don't want another program, I just want the stupid clumsy letters gone!

Any creative geniuses out there?
    I'm not the only one who wants this, surely! Updating to 1903 killed Start menu type-find on 5 different PCs :)

Updating to 1903 killed Start menu type-find on 5 different PCs [​IMG]

And it doesn't even work...
    Is the name of the program used to determine where the app goes or the name of the company that makes the program.. or even whether it's free or not!
    (See image F for Free!)
    Useless and pathetic Microsoft!

teachermark, Aug 21, 2019
  3. David Haz Win User
    Start menu

Hello Elliot,

May we know if you have made any software changes prior to the Start menu not opening?

We suggest that you check any updates for you device, you may follow the steps below on how to check for updates without using the Start menu:

• Press the Windows button + R, type
      ms-setting:
      , and then select OK. This opens Settings.
    • In Settings, choose Update & security >
      Windows Update
      , and then select Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.

We look forward for an update from you.

Regards.

David Haz, Aug 21, 2019
  4. Updating to 1903 killed Start menu type-find on 5 different PCs

Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Aug 21, 2019
Thema:

Updating to 1903 killed Start menu type-find on 5 different PCs

1. Updating to 1903 killed Start menu type-find on 5 different PCs - Similar Threads - Updating 1903 killed

2. [Update] Ninite is what's killing my start menu.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Update] Ninite is what's killing my start menu.: A few days ago I posted that my start menu suddenly stopped working. I didn't know the cause but the day it happened I'd used Ninite to update some software. I'd installed some older incompatible software before too so I thought that was the problem. Today I did a factory...
  3. Start menu different

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu different: Split from this thread. I recently downloaded an update of Copic search.; They changed the start menu. How can I revert to the prior format? I have since deleted the program as I was advised that it is not secure by my McCaffrey...
  4. Cant type in start menu

Cant type in start menu: Hello, whenever I start my computer, I can't search anything on the start menu, but when I do C:\Windows\System32\ctfmon.exe on the run thing, it works. Aside from that, I'm seeing problems on my windows such as a lot of apps will just immediately close when I try to open it,...
  5. Can't type in start menu?

Can't type in start menu?: After Windows automatically restart to install their amazing new update, I can no longer type in the start menu. I have tried nearly all fixes I have found online, including reinstalling Cortana and running ctfmon.exe, but none of it has worked. This issue only started when...
  6. Update 1903 Killed NVMe

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update 1903 Killed NVMe: I have always been against updating windows for obvious reasons. Google windows 10 killed computer and you will find many. Update 1903 was forced on my computer, which killed my main storage ($90 EX920 500GB M.2 NVMe), is there any way to hold Microsoft accountable without...
  7. Update 1903 Start Menu Issue

Update 1903 Start Menu Issue: My computer updated automatically from Win 10 1803 to 1903 on 8/5/19. The first issue I found was a Onedrive app icon in the start menu that was not there prior to the update, I delete the desktop app long ago. When clicking the icon nothing happens, when right clicking the...
  8. Update to 1903 causes start menu and explorer issues

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update to 1903 causes start menu and explorer issues: Greetings, I ran the update to bring my system up to version 1903 last night. As a result when windows starts I just get an empty screen - I do not see the start bar, I can not see any desktop icons, when I press the windows key nothing happens. I CAN access the task manager...
  9. Win 10 1903 Typing in Start Menu wrong characters appear

Win 10 1903 Typing in Start Menu wrong characters appear: When I type into the start menu on win 10 1903 the wrong Characters appear. The Region and Keyboard is set correct. This only happens in the Start Menu. All other apps and Browsers work fine. Windows Explorer works. So for example when I press the A key say 4 times. I...
  10. Kill the letters! (Start menu apps list.)

Kill the letters! (Start menu apps list.): One final hack/adjustment and I will be at peace. So far no-one has come up with a way to remove the stupid letters from the start menu apps list... have they? Please do NOT suggest third part apps. I value the right click menu features on the Start button and all the...