Windows 10: Updating to November 2019 build causes an issue with Chromium browsers

Discus and support Updating to November 2019 build causes an issue with Chromium browsers in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; When updating from build 1803 to 1909, I get an issue with all Chromium based browsers not auto refreshing the download folder upon download... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Funk3, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Funk3 Win User

Updating to November 2019 build causes an issue with Chromium browsers

When updating from build 1803 to 1909, I get an issue with all Chromium based browsers not auto refreshing the download folder upon download completion. Tested with fresh install of Chromium to make sure; download folder is set to my desktop as default, but the issue persists in other folders when viewed in File Explorer.

For example, if I right click > Save Image As for an image, and leave the Save As window open, Chrome downloads the image to its usual temp directory and then moves the resulting .tmp file to my desktop as expected (i.e. waiting to see if I rename the file/change download location etc.). However, if I then click Save, the .tmp file remains visible and the actual image file is added separately, leaving the residiual .tmp file in my desktop/other folder. The only way to get rid of the .tmp file is to manually refresh the download folder.

I've already attempted troubleshooting the issue (e.g. following the steps here or here), the issue is not present when using other browsers like Firefox or Edge, but I'd rather not have to switch to another browser just because of this. I also couldn't really find similar complaints to mine after googling for a while.

For now I've gone back to the backup of my build 1803 install I made before updating where pretty much everything works fine. Any help would be appreciated and I'm sorry if this is the incorrect forum.

PS: How would I update to a build 1903 instead to see if that works fine?

:)

Funk3, Dec 30, 2019

2. Windows chromium-browser fresh build stacktrace and anonymous fatal errors on runtime

Recently, I've started to put time and efforts into understanding the chromium-browser project. My goal is to eventually be able to contribute as a developper, so I ended up looking how to get it and build it locally. I am facing some issues when running it and cannot find any explanation just yet.

Hopefully it will help other people that are in the same situation. After looking quite a bit on forums, I didn't find something similar and would like to know if this is something I've missed.

I am trying to run chromium-browser on Windows 10 Home Edition. My current configuration is i5-2500k / 8gb DDR3 and my workspace is on a hard drive until I get a bigger SSD (The recommended specs are suggesting 16-32 GB of RAM and a SSD to allow it to build and run better. Can it be part of the problem?).

My current chromium build is: Version 54.0.2808.0 (64-bit)

To fetch and build the project, I've followed the instruction on how to get the code.

What I did is:

• Extracted the windows version of the depot-tools into my workspace
    • Fetched the repositories with fetch chromium and gclient runhooks
    • Built with cd src, gn gen out/Default and ninja -C out/Debug

The build process does its job and no errors are showing up in console. However, when I launch the browser, I get multiple errors that seems to be related to the stacktrace. Those errors are not modal and as long as I don't close any of them, chrome keeps responding and pages are shown as expected so this is no big deal for now:

Updating to November 2019 build causes an issue with Chromium browsers auzHA.png

But, if I do some heavy loading (e.g.: loading the facebook news feed), it seems to hang and doesn't respond very well from this point (e.g.: endless loading, mouse events not working inside tab). It can also be reproduced on my end by going to Google and right-clicking anywhere on the page.

To try speeding things up a little bit, I've run a script to rename every pdb files so they are not attaching to the process. This greatly improves speed, but there are still errors. StackTrace errors become this:

Updating to November 2019 build causes an issue with Chromium browsers yiCl9.png

As for the hanging issue, it will now show an empty modal box suggesting an error (the description isn't too kind on what it is). This one is modal and once closed, chrome stops working as intended. What happens is the mouse over events don't show up, and the page will never finish loading when reloading it.

Updating to November 2019 build causes an issue with Chromium browsers A1r8X.png

I am aware that the latest version can be unstable sometimes, but I am working towards making it an enjoyable project to work on. Is there something I did wrong here or steps I may have missed? Is there people here that figured out similar problems?

Thanks a lot, any help is greatly appreciated!

Frederik

Update - 2016/07/28:

Digging into the code itself, I found that the first error is caused by ::FreeLibrary (in module_list.cc) not being able to correctly free the HMODULE. Sorry for putting code here, if this can help I prefer to let it here.

Current investigation: build a new version that resort on ::UnMapViewOfFile when ::FreeLibrary fails to see if it gets through the first errors.

For the second error, I still have no idea of what is going on. Going to continue investigation, hoping to find more potential details.

Please feel free to ask for any information that could help resolve the issues.

Update 2 - 2016/07/28:

I've asked a different, more programming-oriented question on StackOverflow, if it can help:
    Chromium-browser build fatal errors in module_list.cc: Check Failed

Update 3 - 2016/07/29

I finally got something working!! What did it is configuring the build with these configurations in args.gn:

> gn args out/Default

This configuration isn't viable for debugging, but having a working configuration is a huge step forward. Super happy right now!! My current hypothesis would be that it has to do something with the debug flag. Can it be that internal function calls have trouble accessing the right module names in debug mode?

Update 4 - 2016/08/13

After a fresh debug build, I noticed that few Windows Kit debugger DLLs were not copied in the build directory. This time, the linking process failed on api-ms-win-crt-math-l1-1-0.dll. I then copied all of them hoping it would resolve all the issues. On the first run, the errors didn't show up, but the same behavior occured when I performed a right-click on the Google Homepage (browsing mechanics broken silently). After closing and reopening it, the same errors are back.

Anyone as an idea to resolve those issues or any different procedures then the ones on the chromium project?

Frederik.L, Dec 30, 2019
  3. Lentha Q Win User
    Cannot uninstall Chromium browser at all on Windows 10.

SusanMaryElizabeth;

followed the steps you have posted here and was doin' great until the very last step. opened my C: drive but no Chromium folder listed. any other suggestions? really want Chromium off my system as it's a pain in the butt!!!!

thanks for your assistance,

lentha

Lentha Q, Dec 30, 2019
  4. Updating to November 2019 build causes an issue with Chromium browsers

Jsssssssss, Dec 30, 2019
Thema:

Updating to November 2019 build causes an issue with Chromium browsers

1. Updating to November 2019 build causes an issue with Chromium browsers - Similar Threads - Updating November 2019

2. Chromium Based Browsers Causing BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chromium Based Browsers Causing BSOD: Hello,Desperate to have some help with a problem that's been driving me crazy. I wanted to install Google Chrome on my laptop, to use website features that don't work on Firefox. However, after only a few minutes of using it, I encounter a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE crash. I...
  3. Chromium Based Browsers Causing BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chromium Based Browsers Causing BSOD: Hello,Desperate to have some help with a problem that's been driving me crazy. I wanted to install Google Chrome on my laptop, to use website features that don't work on Firefox. However, after only a few minutes of using it, I encounter a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE crash. I...
  4. chromium browser

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    chromium browser: i have uninstalled it its not showing in program list. Also in Appdata/local there is no chromium folder tried malware bytes and cc cleaner . no where its listing but while using open with for some pdf files its listing there how can i remove chromium from that...
  5. Windows Update ( November 2019)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update ( November 2019): When downloading the November update it doesn't work and fails multiple times before even after a reset. And i have tried reinstalling it before. I need to know if this is fixable.[ATTACH]...
  6. Windows November 2019 update issue

Windows November 2019 update issue: I have a Lenovo Yoga 720. I was updating the laptop and it stopped. Now I go into a constant Startup repair, then diagnosing this PC loop. I've tried everything within the menus but they all come back with a message "Cannot auto-fix this PC". How do I get out of this?...
  7. Windows 10 November 2019 Update causes File Explorer issues

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 November 2019 Update causes File Explorer issues: Microsoft began shipping Windows 10 November 2019 Update, codenamed 19H2 and also known as version 1909, on November 12. The new version of Windows is currently available to people who actively look for updates through the Windows Update tab. This means users who visit...
  8. Windows November 2019 Update

Windows November 2019 Update: I am getting an error code - 0x80080005 when I am trying to download the update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-november-2019-update/b696f27c-8f6c-4439-94d1-5502f3f6981e
  9. Microsoft is building a Chromium-powered web browser

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is building a Chromium-powered web browser: Microsoft is building a Chromium-powered web browser that will replace Edge on Windows 10. "Microsoft's Edge web browser has seen little success since its debut on Windows 10 back in 2015. Built from the ground up with a new rendering engine known as EdgeHTML, Microsoft Edge...
  10. Chromium Browser

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Chromium Browser: Why am I getting periodically an obnoxious pop up program that tries to get me to install a browser called Chromium? Can I stop this somehow?...