Windows 10: Updating Win10 - how much actually worthwhile, overall?

Discus and support Updating Win10 - how much actually worthwhile, overall? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I know my question may sound... subversive and maybe even insolent, but I mean it from a strictly technical point of view and I have no warlike intent... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Harmand, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Harmand Win User

Updating Win10 - how much actually worthwhile, overall?

I know my question may sound... subversive and maybe even insolent, but I mean it from a strictly technical point of view and I have no warlike intent at all. *Smile

When carefully reading through all the "changes" and "new features" of the various Win10 "updates" (1709, 1803, 1809...) I always found many and many things which actually are of no use to a simple... desktop user like I am, that is a person who just needs a bare and robust operating system capable of doing well his core job: delivering the best possible performance from a quite "normal" desktop PC to be used just with old-fashion mouse and keyboard (no touchscreens, pens or whatever).

The feeling I get from those readings is always the same: no significant gains in the operating system's "core business" and a lot of added useless (to me) things which risk to produce, overall, just a heavier (and maybe even slower) system.

I'm not a big fan of "automatic" ( = decided by someone else) updates, but I know that many people find them quite exciting. I also know there are many reasons related to security (which, by the way, is heavily affected by the user's habits and knowledge) , but nevertheless I'm wondering. *Smile

:)

Harmand, Dec 28, 2018
  2. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Dec 28, 2018
  3. Win10 updates

Other than privacy issues, overall win10 is better that 8.1 metro crap

DeathtoGnomes, Dec 28, 2018
  4. Ikaruga Win User

GeForce Hotfix driver 353.38 (Update: Win10 versions added)

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...vers/announcing-geforce-hotfix-driver-353-38/

Update: Windows 10 (international) versions below:
    Win10 - 64 bit desktop
    Win10 - 32 bit desktop
    Win10 - 64 bit notebook
    Win10 - 32 bit notebook

Ikaruga, Dec 28, 2018
Thema:

1. Updating Win10 - how much actually worthwhile, overall? - Similar Threads - Updating Win10 much

2. How can I, actually, and truly permanently disable windows updates in Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I, actually, and truly permanently disable windows updates in Win10: I have an old piece of software that is happy in Windows 10 on a virgin install. After a few weeks windows updates and breaks the software. I need to permanently disable updates, period, into perpetuity. The disabling services option only works until a reboot and i cannot...
  3. How can I, actually, and truly permanently disable windows updates in Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I, actually, and truly permanently disable windows updates in Win10: I have an old piece of software that is happy in Windows 10 on a virgin install. After a few weeks windows updates and breaks the software. I need to permanently disable updates, period, into perpetuity. The disabling services option only works until a reboot and i cannot...
  4. How can I, actually, and truly permanently disable windows updates in Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How much does Windows 10 actually cost?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How much does Windows 10 actually cost?: I'm a Linux user who needs to migrate to Windows for several reasons. I'm confused because the official Microsoft website offers a certain (quite expensive) price to obtain Windows 10, while other non-official websites offer access keys for much, much less. Do these actually...
  6. update 1803 to 1909 win10 how much will get on drive c

update 1803 to 1909 win10 how much will get on drive c: i want to update from 1803 to 1909 1 how much will download? 2after install how much more will get than now? i have 28GB free on my drive after installed how much it will free? 20GB free????...
  7. Size on disk much larger than actual size - how to fix ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Size on disk much larger than actual size - how to fix ?: My folders of photos are showing properties of a much larger size than is physically possible on my laptop, this is not showing up as an issue on the laptop, but I can't back them up effectively as have already used up a 2TB drive for a small portion of them ! I've seen some...
  8. how much is the cost to update this.???

how much is the cost to update this.???: what is the cost to update windows10... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-much-is-the-cost-to-update-this/1d1bbd9c-9023-4876-b3dc-f449cb474e4a
  9. RAM increase - worthwhile?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    RAM increase - worthwhile?: The 8GB of RAM of my Win10 x64 system seem to be quite enough for the installed applications, as the amount of used memory (as shown by Task Manager) never gets over 5-6GB during normal use. Having recently recovered from another PC a 4GB compatible memory bank, I'm...
  10. How to /actually/ defer updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to /actually/ defer updates?: I've been having a returning problem for months on end and by this stage I am livid with Windows not respecting my wishes to NOT INSTALL the latest driver for my Synaptics touchpad/trackpoint device, because this driver totally ****s the user experience my Lenovo X230 laptop....