Windows 10: Upgrade: 1 success, 2 epic fails!

Discus and support Upgrade: 1 success, 2 epic fails! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was very surprised last Wednesday (29th) when my MS Surface Pro suddenly started to download the upgrade to WIN 10 and start installation. The whole... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CargoMatatu, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Upgrade: 1 success, 2 epic fails!

I was very surprised last Wednesday (29th) when my MS Surface Pro suddenly started to download the upgrade to WIN 10 and start installation. The whole process took no more than 20 minutes, was totally painless and everything runs perfectly. Win *Biggrin

Next, wait for the upgrade to become available for my desktop system - Acer one-piece with touch screen and wireless keyboard and mouse. Yesterday morning it became available via the little windows icon, so I started the process after having had such a wonderful experience with the Surface. However, things were VERY different! Like chalk and cheese! The download took almost 1 hour, then the upgrade process started... ... ... ... After more than 2 hours it had reached 74% and appeared to be making no more progress. I had to go to work, so I decided to leave it doing what it was doing and see what the result would be when I got home. Eight hours later I came home from work and it said it was at 99%. But... my wife said it had been showing 99% for the last 4 hours! *Huh So I thought I'd nudge the mouse, or press a key as these things sometimes give a little shove! Nothing! After waiting another 20 minutes I decided the only way out was to do a hard shut-down by holding the power button and then restarting a few minutes later, hoping that, at best, it would restart back in the good old WIN 8.1 (Pro, by the way). To mys surprise it started up showing that it was finalising the upgrade, and then went to the log-in screen. Joy! ... ... ... However! Not all my app tiles were present but, worse than that literally NOTHING worked! Except, luckily, the start menu. I experimented for some hours to see if I could make any tweaks to solve the problem but to no avail.
    I used the working functionality of the start menu to ROLL BACK! *cry

The upgrade also became available on my wife's laptop (Packard Bell running WIN 7 Home). Started the process. It downloaded the upgrade and then asked to restart in order to prepare Windows for the upgrade. When selected we got the usual display of "Preparing Windows" 5%, 10%, 17%, 35%, ...75% ... 75% ... 75% ... ... ... 75% ... ... ... ... 75% ... and just never seemed to go beyond 75% and after nearly another hour stuck at 75% we just gave up! Shut everything down and went to bed!

To be honest, not in a hurry to dip the toes into that VERY cold water again! *Sad

:)

CargoMatatu, Aug 4, 2015
  2. d0gknees Win User

Windows 10 update is an Epic fail. Yes or No?

Well, that's 3 to 1 in favor of it not being an epic fail.

d0gknees, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Upgrading Windows 10 stuck on 32% (Installing features and drivers 6%)

Well,

After all the advice, still the same.

Downloaded the tool to create a USB install. Still the same 32% and 6% !!!

Weeks have gone by and still no success updating !!

Epic Fail !

MarcBullock, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

Upgrade: 1 success, 2 epic fails!

1. Upgrade: 1 success, 2 epic fails! - Similar Threads - Upgrade success epic

2. 2/1 appearences

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2/1 appearences: CONHOST.EXEMicrosoft CorporationFeb 1, 2022MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.STARTMENUEXPERIENCEHOSTUnknownFeb 1, 2022MessengerUnknownFeb 1, 2022Anyone know what these are? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/21-appearences/097dc686-b9a5-4e74-ac08-1c503dfb43b6
  3. Epic gaming software fail to install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Epic gaming software fail to install: Every time I install the software onto my computer which meets the requirement keep blinking after download. I have togo to task manager in order to close the program. I did notice the program is operating very high in the task manager. I thought the background apps was the...
  4. Epic Games The Escapists 2 Startet nicht!?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Epic Games The Escapists 2 Startet nicht!?: I have installed the free game The Escapists 2 Gratis at Epic Games and everything worked fine until then. But when I tried to start it I got an error message saying: "Start Failed The Escapists 2 Could not start please check the installation I already checked if it could be...
  5. multiple monitors change 1/2 to 1 and 2

in Windows 10 Customization
    multiple monitors change 1/2 to 1 and 2: When I go to Settings and Display, my multiple monitors show "1/2" instead of 1 and 2. I think you can change this by right clicking on the clock/date on the bottom right, but I don't know which to select when I get there. Help?...
  6. WSL 1 to WSL 2 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    WSL 1 to WSL 2 Upgrade: Been using Windows Subsytem for Linux for some time. How do I get it upgrade to WSL 2. 132527
  7. Successful updates retries and fails

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Successful updates retries and fails: KB4020102 was updated successfully on 26/5/2017. I usually have metered wifi. Today I connected to ethernet. Same KB is trying again and again. Now it hangs. Please see pics below. [img] [img] What to do now? 85573
  8. Upgrading so far - Success

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading so far - Success: Greetings O Great Ones, from the Emerald Isle. Background: I've being using Windows since 3.00a. I had a dual boot set-up with 8.1 and 10240. 8.1 downloaded the RTM/GA. I have not upgraded this yet. 10240 downloaded only some of the files for the upgrade so I...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade on a 2 in 1 tablet

Windows 10 upgrade on a 2 in 1 tablet: Hi, I have a Asus 2 in 1 tablet running windows 8.1. I tried to upgrade it via a thumb drive and it keeps on asking me for the product key. The tablet came preinstalled with windows 8 and I upgraded to windows 8.1. The product I have accessed in the settings is still the...
  10. 2 out of 3 successful

2 out of 3 successful: First 2 installs went off without a hitch 3rd is proving to be a pain in the neck. I am up to 8 attempts after doing various things like using the tweaking.coms All-in-one repair tool, Anti-virus scans which did produce some malware. On the first 6 tries I would get to 32% of...