Windows 10: Upgrade a drive from HDD to SSD keeping Windows 10 activated

Discus and support Upgrade a drive from HDD to SSD keeping Windows 10 activated in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Good Evening, I'd like to upgrade the internal drive of a computer from HDD to SSD and install Windows 10 on it. I want to be sure that the copy I'll... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by OdDiam, Mar 26, 2020.

1. OdDiam Win User

Upgrade a drive from HDD to SSD keeping Windows 10 activated

Good Evening,

I'd like to upgrade the internal drive of a computer from HDD to SSD and install Windows 10 on it. I want to be sure that the copy I'll install on the SSD will be correctly activated.

The PC is a Lenovo G50-70, it was shipped with Windows 8 and it has been upgraded to Windows 10 when the upgrade was free.

First thing first, I already googled a lot, and I found out that the activation key is usually inside the BIOS I didn't find this info related to my specific model, but I may suppose it works for any PC, right?, so once a new fresh copy of W10 starts, it should be automatically activated. The point is that I didn't actually found my same scenario in the questions.

Plus, on I found here that if "You'll need to reactivate Windows 10 if you've made a significant hardware change to your PC", but it doesn't talk about memory change, only motherboard.

Finally, on the same link quoted above, the page says that I'll need to install the same W10 edition, but onthis page I can only find a generic "Windows 10" edition, that should work on both W10 Home and W10 Pro, but I'm not sure which edition is on the PC I'm upgrading.

If those are the only two editions then ok, problem solved, otherwise I don't know how to check it I remember that for Win7 there were like 5 different editions.

The steps I figured out in order to upgrade are the following:

1. Open the PC and put the new SSD with the SATA cable
    2. Insert a Windows 10 USB installer that I previously made
    3. Boot the PC and perform the installation following each step
    4. Boot up the system once the installation is finished

If I got it right, after performing these steps I should have a new fresh and correctly activated copy of Windows 10.

So my question is: given all the informations and the process I want follow, will everything be alright?

Also, will I have all the basic device drivers that are commonly shipped with a PC like Wifi, Audio, Touchpad, Keyboard drivers? Or will I have to perform their installation manually?

:)

OdDiam, Mar 26, 2020
  2. T Monahan Win User

Switch HDD to SSD + Add m2 2280 SSD then Activation? Or Activate then swap all the HDD/SSDs around?

Good Afternoon,

Just purchased a brand new desktop PC (it still in the box). Its preinstalled with Windows 10 Professional (awaiting activation) on the a single drive which is a 2.5" HDD. I don't' want that drive in the computer and I've purchased two new SSD's to upgrade
    the system. Once I remove the HDD, its no longer part of my equation.

Current out of the box setup:

2.5" HDD with Windows 10 Pro awaiting first startup / initiation and activation.

Where I want to go:

M.2 2280 SSD as Primary drive with Windows 10 Pro installed and activated here

2.5" SSD as secondary drive for my files/documents/data.

How do I get the preinstalled Win10Pro off the HDD, and activate it on the M2 SSD as the primary OS boot drive? Should I activate windows before making all these hardware changes? Or should I clone/reinstall Windows 10 Pro to the M.2 SSD then activate?
    Last step is adding the additional SSD for data, but that's not a priority … or is it? Add it before activation?

This is the headache I get for buying an pre-built system that wasn't originally spec'd the way I wanted. Oh well.

Do the HDD/SSD changes make a diff to the activation process? or is it all hardware encoded to the motherboard which remains unchanged?

Advice?

T Monahan, Mar 26, 2020
  3. jr1107 Win User
    Upgrading from HDD to SSD on Windows 10

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my current HDD (on my laptop) to a Samsung Evo SSD and I have some queries regarding the process. I am aware of the whole media creating process but I'd just wanna know if there would be any activation issues. I believe these are
    the steps involved.

1. Download the media creation tool. (Please confirm which one)

2. Replace HDD by SSD.

3. Boot from USB Drive and install on SSD. (It should not ask for a license)

4. Install all drivers.

Is this it? Did I miss any step?

Thank you

jr1107, Mar 26, 2020
  4. Upgrade a drive from HDD to SSD keeping Windows 10 activated

Upgrading HDD to SSD on Online Activated Windows 10

Hello Sir/Madam,

I am currently running Windows 10 on an HDD that was activated during the free installation from Windows 8.1 when Windows 10 launched. So, I am planning to upgrade to an SSD, add some more Ram and also change the wifi card. How do I keep my pre-activated
    Windows 10 on the new (sort of). i.e How do I have this Windows 10 on my new SSD without buying it.

Thank you in advance.

KarmitPatel7, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

Upgrade a drive from HDD to SSD keeping Windows 10 activated

1. Upgrade a drive from HDD to SSD keeping Windows 10 activated - Similar Threads - Upgrade drive HDD

2. Transfering activation from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfering activation from HDD to SSD: Hi, I am thinking about installing Windows 10 on an new SSD, but the only problem is, my activated copy of Windows 11 Pro is on my HDD. Is there a way that I can transfer my activation by unlinking my Microsoft account from that one device with the HDD in, put the SSD into...
  3. Transfering activation from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfering activation from HDD to SSD: Hi, I am thinking about installing Windows 10 on an new SSD, but the only problem is, my activated copy of Windows 11 Pro is on my HDD. Is there a way that I can transfer my activation by unlinking my Microsoft account from that one device with the HDD in, put the SSD into...
  4. Transfering activation from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgraded Windows Transfer from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded Windows Transfer from HDD to SSD: Hi My windows was upgraded from 8 to 10 on my laptop few years back. I was trying to get the HDD replaced with SSD. During the copy process, the technician said windows cannot be moved to SSD as it is an upgraded version from 8 to 10. Kindly guide if there is a possibility...
  6. Changing from HDD to SSD and keeping Windows 10

Changing from HDD to SSD and keeping Windows 10: I have problems with my 4-year-old HDD and it's causing my pc to crash and I want to change to SSD. How do I achieve this? I have backed up important files and can reload my purchased software but have no Windows 10 product keys on my Lenovo pc as far as I can see as in the...
  7. Copying Windows 10 to new SSD from existing HDD while upgrading to SSD from HDD.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Copying Windows 10 to new SSD from existing HDD while upgrading to SSD from HDD.: Hi, I'm thinking about updating my 2 years old laptop from HDD to SSD. Since my HDD is still in working condition, I plan to use it as an external HDD. I have a pre-installed Windows 10 Home on my laptop.Is it possible for me to transfer it to the new SSD while upgrading?...
  8. upgrade from HDD to SSd

upgrade from HDD to SSd: HI, I have a Lenovo desktop with an AMD E1 processor and a conventional 500gb hard drive. I'm thinking about upgrading this hard drive to an SSD in order to improve performance. How much more responsive would the computer be?? Is it worth it to make this switch?? Thanks...
  9. Upgrade to SSD from HDD

Upgrade to SSD from HDD: I have old Sony Vaio AIO desktop that I want to replace the HDD with 256GB SSD. Current OS is latest version of Windows 10. Computer has Legacy bios and uses Std Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. I plan to do a clean install of windows 10 . I understand that I need to change...
  10. Upgrading from HDD to SSD on windows 10

Upgrading from HDD to SSD on windows 10: I will be upgrading my hard drive to an ssd and due to the smaller size i can't just copy the entire disc so i figured i should do a clean install as i have a bunch of junk on my current install and had some questions. 1.First is how will i activate the new version of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. replace hdd wih ssd keeping win 10 licence