Windows 10: Upgrade already! If you're still using XP, you're a menace to Society

Discus and support Upgrade already! If you're still using XP, you're a menace to Society in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Response to my last piece -- "Why Windows must die for the third time" -- was overwhelming. Hundreds of thousands of people read that article, and we... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, May 14, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Upgrade already! If you're still using XP, you're a menace to Society

Read more: Upgrade already! If you're still using Windows XP, you're a menace to society | ZDNet

:)

Brink, May 14, 2017
  2. trinula Win User

You're already using your Windows Live ID on the maximum five devices...

Hello,

I have this issue and so far I haven't found any meaningful answer/solution.

I've obviously set-up my Live (ID) account on more than 5 devices, BUT:

1) I've removed all of them using Zune on my PC

2) I've removed all of them using windowsphone.com web-site

3) I've removed every trace I could found that's related to my (previously used) phones

Now, after 1) 2) & 3), I still have the same issue on my new Nokia Lumia 900 - I cannot download apps from Marketplace.

If I need to wait for some time until those previous devices are completely removed, then I suppose, I would receive such message, BUT no I have not received anything.

So, as I really would like to use Marketplace and other WinLive-related stuff on my phone, any help help on dealing with this would be highly appreciated!

thx!

trinula, May 14, 2017
  3. W0lfDaddy Win User
    "You're already using your Windows Live ID on the maximum five devices."

Fortunately or unfortunately, there's a big difference between a solution and a workaround.

As a workaround, have you tried creating a bogus Live ID, then associating your phone with that, just to see if it works in that case?

If so, and it works, then it's not an issue with the phone. If it still doesn't work, then agreed, there's a much bigger problem going on with the stack.

W0lfDaddy, May 14, 2017
  4. Upgrade already! If you're still using XP, you're a menace to Society

I too loved XP. But time and technology has passed us by. Such is life. Well said Shawn.

Wiley Coyote, May 14, 2017
  5. Superfly Win User
    Kudo's to MS... there are too many apps that have not been upgraded and only run on XP..(assuming that's the reason for even running XP) alternatively some (large companies) are too cheap or stupid to upgrade...?

Superfly, May 14, 2017
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    Unwarranted criticism of NHS - according to NHS:

UPDATED Statement on reported NHS cyber-attack (13 May) - NHS Digital

NHS Denies Widespread Windows XP Use - GovInfoSecurity

points to Windows 7 as the main culprit:

Fafhrd, May 14, 2017
  7. Superfly Win User
    Not convinced they have an understanding... that sounds like the typical political damage control BS when the sh!t hit the fan..."If this is the case, then it shows that there is a lack of resources across the NHS IT estate"

Superfly, May 14, 2017
  8. Fafhrd Win User

If the imaging facilities - MRI, CTS etc, are approaching (and are probably well beyond) their 10 year budgeted life span (being very expensive Kit in the first place), with hard-wired (state-of-the-art at the time) XP analysis systems built in - their response to such an attack is to take the systems offline so that they are not damaged.

I don't think that shows lack of understanding, but a lack of resources. These are not £200 PCs, but £500k+room-filling laboratory analytical equipment.

In the case of Windows 7 systems being unpatched, it is inexcusable.

Fafhrd, May 14, 2017
  9. Superfly Win User
    Uhmm well, I see where you are coming from (from a pacticality point of view) , but the lack of understanding comes in prior to the attack...XP is known to have holes..it was inevitable.. IMHO

Superfly, May 14, 2017
  10. OilerNut Win User
    Too many people assume companies can just spend millions at a drop of a hat replacing equipment that runs XP.

With that said these machines should be heavily locked down behind firewalls and such to isolate it as much as possible.

OilerNut, May 14, 2017
  11. Superfly Win User
    Not when it comes to mission critical stuff like MRI and CAT scans...these are primary diagnostic equipment... I'm not sure a firewall would help much (even a DMZ for that matter)

Superfly, May 14, 2017
  12. gpstoloff Win User
    In that case, why are such machines allowed to be connected to the Internet? Yes, I know that their manufacturers might prefer to have remote diagnostic or software upgrade capabilities, but the risk to a hospital's entire network should overrule this. (If it doesn't, consider the risk to the hospital's IT director's career!)

gpstoloff, May 14, 2017
  13. kado897 Win User

As I understand it the patch was only released by NHS Digital to the NHS trusts at the end of April so it looks like NHS Digital sat on it for six weeks.

kado897, May 14, 2017
  14. Fafhrd Win User
    I doubt the Imaging technology systems were connected to the Internet as such - just to the network which of course runs the vulnerable SMB protocols - in order to distribute data and images to staff who need results for their medical and surgical procedures etc. Once disconnected from networks, the machines could not distribute the images, thus could not be accessed.

Not talking about 2-D imaging like X-Rays, but whole body scans and 3-D tomographs here. The software to navigate these compound images probably runs within the instrumentation suites, not on the client PCs around the hospitals.

I posted a letter from last week's British Medical Journal here:

Prophetic BMJ letter - did this make NHS target for Ransomware attack? - Windows 10 Forums

that indicates that ransomware had already claimed hits on at least 2 NHS hospitals this year, including BARTS, in January, which was badly hit last Friday. The letter exaggerates the use of XP - it's use in 90% of NHS hospitals does not mean that 90% of hospital PCs run XP - apparently less than 5% of PCs in use do.

The proportion of Windows 7 PCs is probably similar to the general distribution of Windows versions - about 50%, and in 48 hospitals and trusts these were vulnerable on Friday.

If NHS Digital had the patch 6 weeks before distributing it, and then the hospitals and trusts sat on it for a further couple of weeks, knowing that they were at risk, that's what I find incredible.

Fafhrd, May 15, 2017
  15. Mystere Win User
    Mystere, May 15, 2017
Thema:

1. Upgrade already! If you're still using XP, you're a menace to Society - Similar Threads - Upgrade already you're

2. Annoying You're Offline Notification

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Annoying You're Offline Notification: I keep getting this "You're Offline" notification and I know I'm offline, I haven't been able to pay my Wifi but it still gives me access to everything but online gaming, I'm still able to stream. But I just really want this notification gone so I can watch stuff in peace. Is...
  3. "You're accessing sensetive info"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "You're accessing sensetive info": Ok, how can I stop this appearing?It's already annoying.Do you want to watch a meme? Nope, it's sensetive. Do you download and watch some gameplay? Guess what, it's sensetive.Do you want to shitpost with cursed images? Well jokes on you, IT'S TOO SENSETIVE!...
  4. "You're accessing sensetive info"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "You're accessing sensetive info": Ok, how can I stop this appearing?It's already annoying.Do you want to watch a meme? Nope, it's sensetive. Do you download and watch some gameplay? Guess what, it's sensetive.Do you want to shitpost with cursed images? Well jokes on you, IT'S TOO SENSETIVE!...
  5. "You're accessing sensetive info"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. You're Not Up To Date

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    You're Not Up To Date: When I checked for Updates even though they are supposed to come in automatically I got the message "Your Device Is Missing Important Security and Quality Fixes" but there NO updates available.Have noted that some recent files have not been downloaded and some have.Tried...
  7. "You're about to be signed out."

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "You're about to be signed out.": Hey all. For about awhile I've been getting these prompts from Windows about once a week where it pops up "You're about to be signed out" and it signs me out 1 minute later to restart the PC. Usually I would figure this was a setting that needed to be fixed but I've been...
  8. That's it microsoft You're sued

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    That's it microsoft You're sued: The latest version of windows 10 has slowed my computer to the point it stalls whenever I log on and explorer keeps freezing and crashing along with random blue screens. You're going to court for this because you failed to repair random blue screen errors in the latest...
  9. Thats it you're sued

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Thats it you're sued: Due to excessive windows and application crashes, not fixing windows 10 errors in updates and deleting my files you are now sued for that. I am fed up for the amount of problems I have been getting now its too late....
  10. Computer message - "You're not connected"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer message - "You're not connected": Whenever we leave the computer for an extended time and com back we see "You're not connected." It has a Helpme fix it click button. I click it and it takes me to Settings. This pages shows Status "Not Connected". It shows troubleshoot change settings. From there I'm lost...