Windows 10: Upgrade an SSD... or not?

Discus and support Upgrade an SSD... or not? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 256Gb SSD w an upgraded WIn 8.1 on it that I pulled from a laptop that died... I'm guessing the laptop died (mobo or proc) cause it won't even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by maarkr, Dec 17, 2015.

1. maarkr Win User

Upgrade an SSD... or not?

I have a 256Gb SSD w an upgraded WIn 8.1 on it that I pulled from a laptop that died... I'm guessing the laptop died (mobo or proc) cause it won't even post. I'd like to upgrade the OS on the drive to Win 10 since it's free now. I've upgraded my main machine so I'm familiar w the process.
    Would you try to upgrade the SSD until I find a suitable home for it? Since I have a while to figure it out, should I wait until i find a suitable host system for it before upgrading?
    Can I hook it up to a computer via my external USB-SATA interface and designate it as my boot drive, then use a USB stick to upgrade it? I just figured it would cause problems later since the hardware would be different when I dropped it in a different system?

What would you do with this thing???? *Zip

:)

maarkr, Dec 17, 2015
  2. Alan B Win User

Is it Windows 10 or my SSD or memory upgrade?

It would not be Windows 10 per se. If chkdsk finds no errors on your hard drive then it is most likely to be a memory problem.

Alan B, Dec 17, 2015
  3. SMFFMS Win User
    Is it Windows 10 or my SSD or memory upgrade?

Thanks Alan

Was a good place to start.

I have since removed the new 'added' ram but still have had similar problems. This time a critical process failed. After a blue screen - logging the error - process. The PC restarted and said something about repairing the hard disk. Will keep trying.

SMFFMS, Dec 17, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

There's couple of holes in your plans.
    There's 50% chance it would boot on a new system due to drivers etc. Because of licensing it would not be licensed on it either.
    Unless you make it "Windows on the Go" it would not run OS as external drive and you can't update it while not BOOTed from it.
    Why don't you just install it in the desktop computer, it doesn't take much space and next to nothing of power ? You can clean it up from old stuff and use for storing files or even to experiment with other OSs. I use second one just for that since I have 3 TB of HDDs too.

CountMike, Dec 18, 2015
  5. maarkr Win User
    Prob the best advice... I just hate to waste the Win 8.1 OS that's on it, but like you said, I could just use the extra space on it unitl it is ever needed.

maarkr, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade an SSD... or not? - Similar Threads - Upgrade SSD

2. I recently upgraded my computer's Solid State Drive SSD and unfortunately, I am no longer...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I recently upgraded my computer's Solid State Drive SSD and unfortunately, I am no longer...: I am writing to request assistance with regaining access to my Microsoft Office suite. I recently upgraded my computer's Solid State Drive SSD and unfortunately, I am no longer able to access applications like Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.During the upgrade process, it...
  3. I recently upgraded my computer's Solid State Drive SSD and unfortunately, I am no longer...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I recently upgraded my computer's Solid State Drive SSD and unfortunately, I am no longer...: I am writing to request assistance with regaining access to my Microsoft Office suite. I recently upgraded my computer's Solid State Drive SSD and unfortunately, I am no longer able to access applications like Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.During the upgrade process, it...
  4. I recently upgraded my computer's Solid State Drive SSD and unfortunately, I am no longer...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I upgraded my RAM but now the BIOS is not detecting SSD or hard drive for some reason.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I upgraded my RAM but now the BIOS is not detecting SSD or hard drive for some reason.: So I upgraded my RAM from 8gb to 16gb. But then it says that the CMOS will now reset. After that it says that:---------------------------Boot Device Not FoundPlease install an operating system on your hard diskHard Disk 3F0F2 System Diagnostics-------------------------------I...
  6. I upgraded my RAM but now the BIOS is not detecting SSD or hard drive for some reason.

I upgraded my RAM but now the BIOS is not detecting SSD or hard drive for some reason.: So I upgraded my RAM from 8gb to 16gb. But then it says that the CMOS will now reset. After that it says that:---------------------------Boot Device Not FoundPlease install an operating system on your hard diskHard Disk 3F0F2 System Diagnostics-------------------------------I...
  7. Switched SSD, now getting error “Something happened and we couldn’t start the upgrade” when...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switched SSD, now getting error “Something happened and we couldn’t start the upgrade” when...: I changed the SSDs on my Lenovo Legion to add capacity. I restored from my Lenovo restore media. I go into the Pro upgrade page in the Windows Store and when I hit Install I’m getting error “Something happened and we couldn’t start the upgrade.” I tried resetting windows...
  8. Switched SSD, now getting error “Something happened and we couldn’t start the upgrade” when...

Switched SSD, now getting error “Something happened and we couldn’t start the upgrade” when...: I changed the SSDs on my Lenovo Legion to add capacity. I restored from my Lenovo restore media. I go into the Pro upgrade page in the Windows Store and when I hit Install I’m getting error “Something happened and we couldn’t start the upgrade.” I tried resetting windows...
  9. PC won’t boot after upgrading or installing new SSD

in Windows 10 News
    PC won’t boot after upgrading or installing new SSD: [IMG]SSDs are solid-state Drives known for their high data transfer speeds. Therefore, installing Windows OS on an SSD results in better computer performance. What if your Windows PC won’t boot after upgrading or installing a new SSD? This article will show us what you can do...
  10. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade: Dear Team,I have my SSD with windows 10 installed on it and due to old computer setup it's not able to upgrade to windows 11.I've brought a new computer and still want to still using my old SSD and keep all my file and outlook.Is that anyways I could just plug and select the...