Windows 10: Upgrade an SSD... or not?

Discus and support Upgrade an SSD... or not? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 256Gb SSD w an upgraded WIn 8.1 on it that I pulled from a laptop that died... I'm guessing the laptop died (mobo or proc) cause it won't even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by maarkr, Dec 17, 2015.

1. maarkr Win User

Upgrade an SSD... or not?

I have a 256Gb SSD w an upgraded WIn 8.1 on it that I pulled from a laptop that died... I'm guessing the laptop died (mobo or proc) cause it won't even post. I'd like to upgrade the OS on the drive to Win 10 since it's free now. I've upgraded my main machine so I'm familiar w the process.
    Would you try to upgrade the SSD until I find a suitable home for it? Since I have a while to figure it out, should I wait until i find a suitable host system for it before upgrading?
    Can I hook it up to a computer via my external USB-SATA interface and designate it as my boot drive, then use a USB stick to upgrade it? I just figured it would cause problems later since the hardware would be different when I dropped it in a different system?

What would you do with this thing???? *Zip

:)

maarkr, Dec 17, 2015
  2. Alan B Win User

Is it Windows 10 or my SSD or memory upgrade?

It would not be Windows 10 per se. If chkdsk finds no errors on your hard drive then it is most likely to be a memory problem.

Alan B, Dec 17, 2015
  3. SMFFMS Win User
    Is it Windows 10 or my SSD or memory upgrade?

Thanks Alan

Was a good place to start.

I have since removed the new 'added' ram but still have had similar problems. This time a critical process failed. After a blue screen - logging the error - process. The PC restarted and said something about repairing the hard disk. Will keep trying.

SMFFMS, Dec 17, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

There's couple of holes in your plans.
    There's 50% chance it would boot on a new system due to drivers etc. Because of licensing it would not be licensed on it either.
    Unless you make it "Windows on the Go" it would not run OS as external drive and you can't update it while not BOOTed from it.
    Why don't you just install it in the desktop computer, it doesn't take much space and next to nothing of power ? You can clean it up from old stuff and use for storing files or even to experiment with other OSs. I use second one just for that since I have 3 TB of HDDs too.

CountMike, Dec 18, 2015
  5. maarkr Win User
    Prob the best advice... I just hate to waste the Win 8.1 OS that's on it, but like you said, I could just use the extra space on it unitl it is ever needed.

maarkr, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade an SSD... or not? - Similar Threads - Upgrade SSD

2. SSD or RAM upgrade?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD or RAM upgrade?: I have an old Asus i5 laptop with 4gbs of RAM that sort of struggles with Windows 10. It runs sluggish overall and programs take a while to load. It usually works fine but when i give it more hardware demanding tasks like moving big files around it almost becomes unusable...
  3. Infinite Automatic Repair Loop after upgrading SSD, GPU and fans

Infinite Automatic Repair Loop after upgrading SSD, GPU and fans: Today I upgraded my gpu from a gtx1050ti to a rtx2060 OC. First thing I did was put in my new fans, installed the ssd and gpu then I put the display port to my motherboard then powered on. I was thinking I was going to delete my old drivers and then download the new one but...
  4. Having issues post ssd upgrade on my Windows 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Having issues post ssd upgrade on my Windows 10 laptop: I recently cloned my hard drive to a ssd on my Asus Q304U laptop that i running Windows 10. After replacing the hard drive to the ssd, I am directly taken to the boot screen. Under Boot options, I do not have any source listed. I swapped the ssd with hard drive to see if...
  5. Welp here we go. Anyone know where I can get these drivers? Upgraded to an SSD and now all...

Welp here we go. Anyone know where I can get these drivers? Upgraded to an SSD and now all...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/sexysnack [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jz6kym/welp_here_we_go_anyone_know_where_i_can_get_these/
  6. ELI5: How do I upgrade to a SSD and reinstall Windows onto it (I do not want to clone my...

ELI5: How do I upgrade to a SSD and reinstall Windows onto it (I do not want to clone my...: Over the last year or so, I've noticed my computer was getting slower and slower. Now it's reached a point where it's almost unusable. It takes over 10 minutes (sometimes up to twenty) to boot up. And when it does, it's slow and sluggish. Opening task manager shows me that...
  7. Is it safe to upgrade OS to 20H2 if I don't use a Thunderbolt NVMe SSD drive?

Is it safe to upgrade OS to 20H2 if I don't use a Thunderbolt NVMe SSD drive?: I just got a new PC, it has a Thunderbolt port and an internal NVMe SSD drive. It came w/ OS build 1909. My old PC has auto-upgraded to 2004. I tried to migrate using Laplink PC Mover, but it would not move data to a PC with an older OS build. I see that there is a hold on...
  8. Advice on upgrading HDD to SSD on Dell XPS 8900

Advice on upgrading HDD to SSD on Dell XPS 8900: I have a Dell XPS 8900/Windows 10 (20H2) with a 1 TB HD that has the operating system and also a 4 TB HD that I use for storage. I want to replace the 1 TB with a 1 TB SSD. I know I will need to purchase an adaptor to install in a 3.5" bay. I was planning on purchasing a...
  9. Since upgrading SSD, Windows can't see my scanner

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Since upgrading SSD, Windows can't see my scanner: Hi, Since I recently upgraded my SSD C drive, Windows can't see that my Canon MP270 Printer/Scanner is a scanner. It prints fine, and correctly recognises that the printer is an MP270. I have updated to the latest printer drivers from Canon but they made no difference The...
  10. Upgrade to Win10 Pro & to new SSD

Upgrade to Win10 Pro & to new SSD: Hi All, I have query related to fresh SSD Installation. My current HDD is dead & I have new SATA SSD to be install on my Dell Inspiron. Can you please let me know how I can install SSD on laptop with fresh WIN 10 Pro / Home edition OS installation. Currently I have...