Windows 10: Upgrade an SSD... or not?

Discus and support Upgrade an SSD... or not? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 256Gb SSD w an upgraded WIn 8.1 on it that I pulled from a laptop that died... I'm guessing the laptop died (mobo or proc) cause it won't even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by maarkr, Dec 17, 2015.

1. maarkr Win User

Upgrade an SSD... or not?

I have a 256Gb SSD w an upgraded WIn 8.1 on it that I pulled from a laptop that died... I'm guessing the laptop died (mobo or proc) cause it won't even post. I'd like to upgrade the OS on the drive to Win 10 since it's free now. I've upgraded my main machine so I'm familiar w the process.
    Would you try to upgrade the SSD until I find a suitable home for it? Since I have a while to figure it out, should I wait until i find a suitable host system for it before upgrading?
    Can I hook it up to a computer via my external USB-SATA interface and designate it as my boot drive, then use a USB stick to upgrade it? I just figured it would cause problems later since the hardware would be different when I dropped it in a different system?

What would you do with this thing???? *Zip

:)

maarkr, Dec 17, 2015
  2. Alan B Win User

Is it Windows 10 or my SSD or memory upgrade?

It would not be Windows 10 per se. If chkdsk finds no errors on your hard drive then it is most likely to be a memory problem.

Alan B, Dec 17, 2015
  3. SMFFMS Win User
    Is it Windows 10 or my SSD or memory upgrade?

Thanks Alan

Was a good place to start.

I have since removed the new 'added' ram but still have had similar problems. This time a critical process failed. After a blue screen - logging the error - process. The PC restarted and said something about repairing the hard disk. Will keep trying.

SMFFMS, Dec 17, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

There's couple of holes in your plans.
    There's 50% chance it would boot on a new system due to drivers etc. Because of licensing it would not be licensed on it either.
    Unless you make it "Windows on the Go" it would not run OS as external drive and you can't update it while not BOOTed from it.
    Why don't you just install it in the desktop computer, it doesn't take much space and next to nothing of power ? You can clean it up from old stuff and use for storing files or even to experiment with other OSs. I use second one just for that since I have 3 TB of HDDs too.

CountMike, Dec 18, 2015
  5. maarkr Win User
    Prob the best advice... I just hate to waste the Win 8.1 OS that's on it, but like you said, I could just use the extra space on it unitl it is ever needed.

maarkr, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade an SSD... or not? - Similar Threads - Upgrade SSD

2. system boot error after upgrading ssd and ram

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system boot error after upgrading ssd and ram: I’ve got a new laptop that I have bought recently and it has been fine until one day it randomly keeps shutting down itself and starting up again out of nowhere every 5 mins. I managed to fix This problem as it didn’t start up properly I just shut it down and started it up...
  3. system boot error after upgrading ssd and ram

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system boot error after upgrading ssd and ram: I’ve got a new laptop that I have bought recently and it has been fine until one day it randomly keeps shutting down itself and starting up again out of nowhere every 5 mins. I managed to fix This problem as it didn’t start up properly I just shut it down and started it up...
  4. system boot error after upgrading ssd and ram

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. system boot error after upgrading ssd and ram

6. Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...: I want to upgrade storage as it is too little and i have an SSD i want to replace it with, am i able to use my windows license i have in the old SSD on the new one instead? It is a laptop windows license so it came with the laptop i bought. I would like some assistance thank...
  7. Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...

Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...: I want to upgrade storage as it is too little and i have an SSD i want to replace it with, am i able to use my windows license i have in the old SSD on the new one instead? It is a laptop windows license so it came with the laptop i bought. I would like some assistance thank...
  8. Install win11 on SSD drive... Corrupts when upgrading on SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install win11 on SSD drive... Corrupts when upgrading on SSD drive: I have a windows 11 notebook.. further win 11 upgrade corrupted my SSD drive. Now it boots to a notebook which says there is no network hardware in notebook. I am furious that a Microsoft "ambassador" led me down a path to no results, said he was transferring me to technical...
  9. Install win11 on SSD drive... Corrupts when upgrading on SSD drive

Install win11 on SSD drive... Corrupts when upgrading on SSD drive: I have a windows 11 notebook.. further win 11 upgrade corrupted my SSD drive. Now it boots to a notebook which says there is no network hardware in notebook. I am furious that a Microsoft "ambassador" led me down a path to no results, said he was transferring me to technical...
  10. A Forced windows 11 upgrade ruined most of my SSD card?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A Forced windows 11 upgrade ruined most of my SSD card?: So I just built a new computer with all new components and it works great, no problems what's so ever so then I install windows 10 because I'm more familiar with it than I am with Windows 11. The first thing I do is all the windows 10 updates so its caught up to the latest...