Windows 10: Upgrade changed profile now desktop changed

Discus and support Upgrade changed profile now desktop changed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows upgraded and after it came back up the desktop was different. It seems like it added a new user profile and I lost the links to apps. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by k3jht, Nov 24, 2017.

1. k3jht Win User

Upgrade changed profile now desktop changed

Windows upgraded and after it came back up the desktop was different. It seems like it added a new user profile and I lost the links to apps. When I try to start an app it seems to want to install it and I have to point it to the original user folder to read in documents and things. the original folere was at c:\users\ and the new one is c:\users\.-HP. Is there a way to make windows revert back to using the old folder?

:)

k3jht, Nov 24, 2017

2. Incorrect battery charging status.

I found a newer bios version and updated it. Battery charging is working now.

Thanks alot!

Changed Man, Nov 24, 2017
  3. Incorrect battery charging status.

Hi, after upgrading to windows 10 pro whenever I charge my laptop my charging status is displayed in "remaining charging time", however the status is always displayed incorrectly as my laptop could be at 15% but the status will read "3 minutes remaining"
    even though this is not the actual remaining time. I'm looking for a solution to this problem if anyone can help. I have attached an example of incorrect charging message. The specs of my laptop are as follows:

Acer Aspire E5-571

V1.13

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4005U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs)

4096MB RAM

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240)

Upgrade changed profile now desktop changed [​IMG]

Changed Man, Nov 24, 2017
  4. Ztruker Win User

First, make a backup of your registry: How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Then try this:

Click on Start then Run. type regedit and press Enter or click OK.
    Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Once there, you will see the SID's listed for all of the profiles on the machine. Within the Key for each SID there is an entry called "ProfileImagePath". There can be several like:

%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile
    C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService
    C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService

then there will be one for your user account. It will look something like this:

c:\users\k3jht.K3JHT-HP and maybe a c:\users\k3jht

Edit the c:\users\k3jht key and add .xxx to the end of it so it looks like this: c:\users\k3jht.xxx

Edit the c:\users\k3jht.K3JHT-HP key and remove .K3JHT-HP, leaving just c:\users\k3jht

Reboot and see if that connects you to the old profile.

Ztruker, Nov 24, 2017
  5. k3jht i am so glad you posted this question. i have exactly the same problem and it's making me crazy.

prior to the update i had ONE user on my computer - the username was Bob Johnson.

now since the update, it automatically created a brand new user called 'bob2', and i have the same problems you describe. when i restart or boot my computer, the profile that comes up is Bob Johnson. there's no option to log in as any other user. so i log in using my password, but then the desktop and everything is blank, and if i try and open a program Windows wants to install the program again. it's like Windows is booting to this 'bob2' user that it automatically created.

If I go to File Explorer i can see two user folders - one called Bob Johnson, and one called bob2. All my old files, programs, everything are there in the Bob Johnson folder. but i can't seem to get windows to boot to that profile.

I tried to revert to the version of Windows 10 before this latest update, but it told me i have to delete a 'new user' i created since the update. the user it says i must delete is 'Bob Johnson'. but this is NOT the new user! this is the old user! the new user that was automatically created is 'bob2'. and it says I should go to If I go to Accounts --> Family and Other People to delete this 'new user', but there are NO other people/users listed there.

Ztruker - tried your suggestion but i cannot see a profile image path for C:\Users\Bob Johnson. the only profile image path i can see is C:\Users\bob2.

Maybe this is what is causing the problem?

Many thanks in advance for any help from anyone.

bobjohnson, Nov 24, 2017
  6. just want to update - i followed the fix posted by Brink in this thread: windows 10 1709 has changed my default user profile Solved - Windows 10 Forums

everything is working fine now no problems for me!

for Step 10, where it says to change the profile image path, i changed it from C:\Users\bob2 to C:\Users\Bob Johnson and now it boots to my old desktop and all my files are in the right places.

bobjohnson, Nov 24, 2017
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Nov 25, 2017
  8. k3jht Win User

With a few minor problems the registry edit fixed the problem. Thanks to all who replied.

k3jht, Nov 25, 2017
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Glad to hear it. I've updated my info to point to Brink's tutorial so from now on I'll have the right into too.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade changed profile now desktop changed - Similar Threads - Upgrade changed profile

2. Desktop i am unable to change to another profile???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop i am unable to change to another profile???: Since the last update i am unable to change my profile???So I am now locked into one of my son'd accounts. I can not change via the start up, powering off neither and no change profile for CTRL ALT Delete.There are 4 user profiles on my desktop which are still there and i...
  3. Desktop i am unable to change to another profile???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop i am unable to change to another profile???: Since the last update i am unable to change my profile???So I am now locked into one of my son'd accounts. I can not change via the start up, powering off neither and no change profile for CTRL ALT Delete.There are 4 user profiles on my desktop which are still there and i...
  4. Desktop i am unable to change to another profile???

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Profileimagepath changed, now my profile has been deleted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Profileimagepath changed, now my profile has been deleted?: Hello everyone,Yesterday, I decided to change my user profile folder from "cex" to "Jack J". I did this by changing the profileimagepath name, and for some reason my account on this laptop has been deleted, along with my files? I've tried to install backup recover software,...
  6. Cannot change profiles

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Cannot change profiles: Hello, I cannot change from my personal account to my school account in Microsoft Store. The issue persists as I close and open the application. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-change-profiles/c521f4b4-3555-49b7-8bc9-f0b2f82fa502
  7. changing network profile

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    changing network profile: I want to change my network profile from public to private but I see no way to do this. Is there a way to change it and how is it done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-network-profile/265180f8-d7e2-4bcd-a802-1efdc6ea0d66"
  8. Changing profiles

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing profiles: Good day . My son in law has given me his old laptop as he has purchased a new one . How do i put my profile onto the old laptop and delete his profile as everytime i go into the laptop he keeps getting messages asking if it is him . Thank You ....
  9. profile change

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    profile change: Whenver pc restrat it show the msg of profile have been change. All setting are deleted automatically.pls help 95524
  10. User Profiles location changed with Window 10 upgrade

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Profiles location changed with Window 10 upgrade: Machine owner did the free upgrade from 7 to Windows 10 believing it would solve the hardware problems he's been having; plus the whole "it's free" deal. Software doesn't fix failing hardware, so I'm having to upgrade/replace the hardware. I had planned to do a clean install...