Windows 10: Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Discus and support Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by upsidedownjim, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Hi,

I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact.

Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from Windows 8.1? Any possible gotchas I should be aware of?

I've seen a few threads discussing Unbuntu or Linux as a second partition but didn't see one for this situation. Apologies if I missed a similar thread.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

:)

upsidedownjim, Aug 30, 2015

2. Dual Boot Windows 10 and Windows 7

Yes, that is understandable, but what if the dual boot contains Vista and Win7?

Is there some way to upgrade to Win10 and keep Win7 while replacing Vista?

B.Cornelius, Aug 30, 2015
  3. linmaxyc Win User
    ual boot system upgrade to windows 10

Thanks Jessen for the hint. I was expecting a yes or no answer, since I already have a dual boot system(xp+win7), and if I upgrade win10 from win7 boot, would win7 be replaced by win10 and becomes a (xp+win10) dual boot system?

But it looks more complicated than I thought, should I check current system has xp and win7 are installed in DIFFERENT partitions, otherwise xp would be gone after win7 is upgraded to win10 if xp and win7 are in SAME partition?

linmaxyc, Aug 30, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Hey Jim, welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile

You should be okay to upgrade within W8, I don't foresee any problems. You could/should make backups just in case.

Edwin, Aug 30, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    I upgraded a Windows 7 and XP dual boot to Windows 10 last week and now Win 10 and XP both boot with no problems.

Ztruker, Aug 31, 2015
  6. Hi Edwin, Thanks for the welcome and the help! Looks like I'll be safe to upgrade from the Windows 8 partition! I'll be sure to back up ahead of time.

Cheers!

upsidedownjim, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

1. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)? - Similar Threads - Upgrade dual boot

2. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop: This is probably an unfair question to ask in this forum. But given the depth of expertise, someone might have advice to offer! I have recently done successful clean installs and activations of Win 10 with the help of Shawn Brink's tutorials and advice from other forum...
  3. win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option)

win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option): On my desktop I am using ICY DOCK SSD cage for my OS: MB322SP-B_ExpressCage_2.5" HDD/SSD CAGES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure...
  4. Dual boot Win10 Win7

Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  5. Dual boot Win7 & Win10 on same HDD - How to eliminate Win7?

Dual boot Win7 & Win10 on same HDD - How to eliminate Win7?: I had a single hard drive with Windows 7 on it and then created another partition and loaded Windows 10 on that resulting in a dual boot setup.I want to eliminate the dual boot setup and delete the partition with windows 7 on it leaving a single partition with only Windows...
  6. Will update Win7>Win10 deactivate second Win7 drive in a Dual boot?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will update Win7>Win10 deactivate second Win7 drive in a Dual boot?: Here's the situation. I have a 17" laptop with two Win 7 drives set up with dual boot. One is a 128gb SSD with all my work software. (AutoCad, Rhino, etc) The other is a new 256 SSD with only the Win7 OS installed. Both use the same laptop Product key. I would like to...
  7. Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade

Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade: Just wondering if this can be done or would I be opening a can of worms. I recently did the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. All is fine. The Win7 was OEM and I have the 4 OEM disks that came with the PC. Is it possible now to reinstall Win7 on a new partition on my C drive, using...
  8. Win10+Win7 dual boot issue

Win10+Win7 dual boot issue: Dear all, I hope I have not missed a thread with a similar problem: I had Win10 installed on drive C: with the boot loader on drive D: (where I previously had my old Win10 installation). I wanted to add Win7 to my PC and formated drive D: - I totally forgot that I had the...
  9. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010